Ibasso DX80
Nov 20, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #811 of 1,208
I am now using DX80 !
And I am new on playing with DAP, so not sure it is good or not.
SQ is good, but I expect more bass and deeper from it.
Do I need a Amp attach on it ?

Tried USB-DAC on my Win7 last night.
dt880smile.png

Movie sound quality is great, music sq is good, just expect more~

As you know official Windows USB-DAC driver not released yet.
So I search around the internet for all similar devices and tested their drivers..
I found a working driver here.
http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/driver/iFi%20(by%20AMR)%20HD%20USB%20Audio%20Driver%202.26.exe

Installation is a bit complicate.
1. download and Extract all files.  (don't run that "....USB audio driver...exe" since you are not using iFi DAP)
2. switch DX80 to DAC mode and plug to computer
3. skip search windows updates for driver to save 30mins of searching.  (actually windowsupdates will install a usb-dac driver but that one won't work)
4. goto Device Manager, click on the unknown device - XMOS USB Audio ..., then choose Update Driver Software
5. pick Browse my computer for Driver ...
6. click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
7. click "Have Disk", browse the path you extract the driver
8. if the driver won't install, try again from step.4
9. Enjoy.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #815 of 1,208
If anyone out there is about to order from iBasso be prepared for a delay. My DX80 is still stuck in Hong Kong 36h after DHL picked it up, waiting to be sorted through customs. iBasso tell me security has tightened up since Paris......

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #816 of 1,208
If anyone out there is about to order from iBasso be prepared for a delay. My DX80 is still stuck in Hong Kong 36h after DHL picked it up, waiting to be sorted through customs. iBasso tell me security has tightened up since Paris......

DX80 does kind of look like a suspicious piece of electronic kit.

The customs officers would never believe that people need such a huge brick to play music these days.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #817 of 1,208
DX80 does kind of look like a suspicious piece of electronic kit.

The customs officers would never believe that people need such a huge brick to play music these days.

But the brick does contain a lithium ion battery and that may cause a problem when security is tightened. I sold ny Dx50 recentlty and the guy at Royal Mail was very iffy about accepting it.....

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #818 of 1,208
But the brick does contain a lithium ion battery and that may cause a problem when security is tightened. I sold ny Dx50 recentlty and the guy at Royal Mail was very iffy about accepting it.....

Yes it's a huge problem for anything portable, especially since the 787 Dreamliner battery burning issue.

It's not so bad for personal parcels where people often lie or not declare what's inside, but it's a big problem for businesses.

It depends on which freight/courier company the shops are contracted to, but some (like the one I use) issued an all-out temporary ban on anything that contains lithium ion batteries, until they finalise on a formal guideline about what is allowed or not allowed.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #819 of 1,208

Yes it's a huge problem for anything portable, especially since the 787 Dreamliner battery burning issue.

It's not so bad for personal parcels where people often lie or not declare what's inside, but it's a big problem for businesses.

It depends on which freight/courier company the shops are contracted to, but some (like the one I use) issued an all-out temporary ban on anything that contains lithium ion batteries, until they finalise on a formal guideline about what is allowed or not allowed.

Moreover you just cannot import anything with a lithium ion battery from Japan into Germany.

Ok, back to DX80. Still waiting for a respectable seller in Europe.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #820 of 1,208
AFAI was aware, there isn't a restriction on importing/exporting lithium batteries if they are inside the original manufactured electronic device they are intended to power. The restriction (AFAI aware) only applies to sending a 'naked' battery that isn't inside the electronic device it is intended to power.

Perhaps the regulations have changed in Europe since the last time I looked.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #821 of 1,208
  AFAI was aware, there isn't a restriction on importing/exporting lithium batteries if they are inside the original manufactured electronic device they are intended to power. The restriction (AFAI aware) only applies to sending a 'naked' battery that isn't inside the electronic device it is intended to power.

Perhaps the regulations have changed in Europe since the last time I looked.

The thing is, even though the "official" restrictions may state so, a lot of shipping companies (brokers that do international freight and customs clearance for you) are setting up their own rules to protect their back.

The courier company we use at work sent out an e-mail to their clients that they will enforce a total ban on anything containing lithium ion (even laptops) until the global rules are established.

Not every courier company is doing that (otherwise nobody will be able to ship any portable electronics), but it is causing some hold up in some territories.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #822 of 1,208
Hello everyone 

Has anybody compared the DX80 to Astell&Kern??

I am going to buy the AK100II but after DX80 is released I see that many people love it and some compared it to AK120II.

So I'm just wondering is the DX80 sounds that good to be compared with Astell&Kern??

How the DX80 compared to AK120, AK100II, AK120II?

While DX80 costs $359, $800 for AK100II and $1,400 for AK120II. I thought the prices tell everything

but since I have never heard any of those DAPs, I really cannot make my mind.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #823 of 1,208
  Hello everyone 

Has anybody compared the DX80 to Astell&Kern??

I am going to buy the AK100II but after DX80 is released I see that many people love it and some compared it to AK120II.

So I'm just wondering is the DX80 sounds that good to be compared with Astell&Kern??

How the DX80 compared to AK120, AK100II, AK120II?

While DX80 costs $359, $800 for AK100II and $1,400 for AK120II. I thought the prices tell everything

but since I have never heard any of those DAPs, I really cannot make my mind.

I have the DX90 and the 120ii right now. Granted its not the 80, but the 120ii is much better sounding to me. I like everything about the AK better, accept the price they charge.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #824 of 1,208

I have the DX90 and the 120ii right now. Granted its not the 80, but the 120ii is much better sounding to me. I like everything about the AK better, accept the price they charge.

Very true that the DX90 is not the DX80. They sound different. We have advanced the sound and the DX80 performs to higher standards at a lower price. This is advancement.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #825 of 1,208
Moreover you just cannot import anything with a lithium ion battery from Japan into Germany.

Ok, back to DX80. Still waiting for a respectable seller in Europe.

The DX80 is available at Audiogarden.fr. I know these guys (website and their shop in Paris) and they can be trusted. Personally I'm going to demo the DX80 at Audiogarden next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back