Ibasso DX80
Nov 15, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #766 of 1,208
Hi guys,

Wondering whether anyone knows more about the internal architecture of the DX80. For the DX90, iBasso provided a block diagram identifying the major component blocks of its circuit design. Is there one for the DX80?

Also, does anyone know how volume control is implemented in this thing? ie, via MCU/DAC digital volume control or via an analog control (eg, BB PGA2311)?

Paul@iBasso - can you shed some light?

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #767 of 1,208
Just bought DX80! Really an upgrade from fiio X3ii. SQ is just incredible lust on my ear.
So far the issue are the SD card can't straight away rescanned from Fiio device.
Need to reformatted it and then transfer the songs again :pensive:
And another thing is the battery draining so fast. Should I charge it every night after I use it?
Will know about it later after daily use.

You should get around 12 hours of battery life with lossless files. The DX80 can be charged every night to keep the battery topped off as it will not overcharge. Also we have FW 1.1.2 available now on our website. A card formatted to FAT32 is required right now for updates at this time.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 15, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #768 of 1,208
Here in South Korea, AK jr. is the same price as the DX80. In fact, a tad cheaper. The AK jr. can be had for around 300-330. So I think it would make for an interesting comparison between the two. Points for looks and UI go to AK jr. IMHO. Although the DX80 isn't bad looking by any standard.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #769 of 1,208
  Here in South Korea, AK jr. is the same price as the DX80. In fact, a tad cheaper. The AK jr. can be had for around 300-330. So I think it would make for an interesting comparison between the two. Points for looks and UI go to AK jr. IMHO. Although the DX80 isn't bad looking by any standard.

For myself I wouldn't be interested in the AK jr. No digital out of any type and for the price it should easily offer that. You can get a FiiO for 50 dollars that does the same basic thing as the AK jr. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #771 of 1,208

For myself I wouldn't be interested in the AK jr. No digital out of any type and for the price it should easily offer that. You can get a FiiO for 50 dollars that does the same basic thing as the AK jr. 

Digital outs would make the device thicker. It depends on what you consider to be important in the device you're looking at I suppose. It's not just a matter of functionality though, but a matter of what the DAP maker thinks is important. In the case of the AK jr, it's touted as being a very slim and light device. Which is something that I looked for when buying my DAP (Xuelin IHIFI770). 

Also the 50 dollar Fiio isn't going to offer the SQ of the AK jr, and I'm not sure which you're referring to but I assume it to be the Fiio E10K. The E10K isn't known for great sound, more a audio swiss army knife. So you do lose out in other ways with such options.

Anyway, I just want to know how these two would compare sound wise. I wouldn't be looking at the AK jr anymore at the US MSRP of 500 dollars. At such a price there are way too many good competitors that would probably do more for less. But at 300-330 dollars, definitely worth a look.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #772 of 1,208
I'm at a shop trying to get the DX80 to play nice with a Mojo via optical and coaxial. Is there a menu selection to be made on the DX or is it automatic?

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #773 of 1,208
I'm at a shop trying to get the DX80 to play nice with a Mojo via optical and coaxial. Is there a menu selection to be made on the DX or is it automatic?

It is automatic. Please make sure the shop has updated the DX80 to the latest FW.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 16, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #777 of 1,208
Just a quick question to iBasso Paul (or anyone who might know).

I've tried a 3.5mm 4 pin cable (with separate grounds for L and R), and it works fine, with both grounds achieving good contact unlike some other amps and DAPs.

Does the DX80 have separate circuit grounds for the L and R amp section, or are they shared at the 3.5mm socket?

I'm guessing they are shared because the two grounds have low resistance between them, but I'm getting much better crosstalk separation by using the 4 pin cable compared to the typical 3 pin cables on low impedance IEM (around -60dB vs -40dB on 8 ohm load), so I'm a bit puzzled whether it's purely a cable impedance thing, or something to do with the DX80's amp section.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #778 of 1,208

I can't output DSD with a coaxial?
Gee.

Yup. You can't output DSD on both coaxial and optical from DX80.
I too was initially thinking that I missed out to enable something on the player while I connected it to Hugo.
Other hires files would work normally out though.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #779 of 1,208

Yup. You can't output DSD on both coaxial and optical from DX80.
I too was initially thinking that I missed out to enable something on the player while I connected it to Hugo.
Other hires files would work normally out though.

I wonder how difficult it is to implement a DoP output on S/PDIF.
Is there any other DAPs that can do this functionality, so that it can be used as a DSD transport?

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #780 of 1,208

I wonder how difficult it is to implement a DoP output on S/PDIF.
Is there any other DAPs that can do this functionality, so that it can be used as a DSD transport?

I wouldn't have mind even if it was downsampling to PCM only but now nothing comes out at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back