Ibasso DX80
Oct 13, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #425 of 1,208
  Are you serious? 5-10 years?  By then the DX 210 will be out.  You are talking about people who buy and sell stuff 3 months later.  You can always buy a DX50 or 90 and replace the battery every 5 years.

Sure, if you want to assume and make sweeping generalizations that all prospective buyers have upgraditis every 3 months and live in their parents' basement. Given the scaleability of the DX80 with USB, optical and coax digital output, don't be surprised that the device will see lots of use with computer, CE and car setups and people wanting longer battery run times.

There are many iBasso customers that gravitated towards the company because they designed products that were user-centric with user replaceable batteries. It's a dangerous game to play by abandoning your core customers that contributed to your success. Just ask Samsung when they decided to follow Apple's strategy and ditched user replaceable batteries and expandable storage despite customer feedback.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #426 of 1,208

The battery is not a proprietary design but is a very high quality design. It can be replaced by our distributors or by sending the DX80 back to us. We will keep batteries in stock so that in the future if a battery needs replacement we will have them. For replacement after a warranty period, we always charge a minimal amount. I don't have the cost of the battery right now but we pass on the price of what we pay as a convenience to our customers. The quickest and easiest would be to have the local distributor replace the battery if needed. Soldering is not required.

Thanks for the info, Paul. As the wizard indicated (The back of the DX100 unscrews without fuss, and replacing the battery yourself isn't too difficult), is the DX80 design and battery replacement process identical to the DX100? Perhaps you can include in the DX80 manual and on your website, DIY battery removal instructions and particular screws and tools required. That would alleviate concerns from prospective customers that iBasso is still offering user (savvy DIYer) replaceable batteries as a compelling selling point vs. other vendors' wares.

What does iBasso charge for a DX100 replacement battery post-warranty period? For the less savvy users, I take it the owner bears the costs of shipping + insurance to send the unit back to iBasso / local distributor. Is there an additional shipping charge that the owner pays for the return shipping or is that expense built into the replacement battery price? Thanks

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #430 of 1,208
  Last year a new battery for my DX100 was 15$ + 5$ airmail. & < 5min to install.

Yes, that's all very well but in a great many parts of the world, it is now a criminal offence to ship lithium batteries internationally unless they are installed & shipped in the electronic device within which they are legitimately intended to be used. So if you already have the device in your part of the world, what then?

Whereas generic Samsung-format batteries (as per the DX50/90) are widely available in most parts of the world, with no need for the individual DAP-owner to ship them internationally.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #432 of 1,208
It's because lithium batteries can be highly explosive, and therefore require special permits to import/export.

Few people realise just how dangerous lithium battery technology can be.

Anyway, sleep well
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #433 of 1,208
I was aware of the fact, actually. I just think they went a bit extreme on regulations since the few times it did go awfully wrong.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #434 of 1,208

That is a mock up. There is no external gain switch, it is done on the screen in the menu. I will have a release date in 4 days.

@Paul - iBasso , any news on the release date yet?

And also, do you have a rough number on the battery life of the device, like >10hrs or <10hrs? 

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #435 of 1,208
  I was aware of the fact, actually. I just think they went a bit extreme on regulations since the few times it did go awfully wrong.

Yeah, sign 'O the times, unfortunately 
rolleyes.gif

Nothing like orchestrated paranoia to whip legislators into a frenzy, around the globe.

This is one reason why I feel DAP companies should make more effort to provide distribution of batteries, through their dealer network, globally. This isn't aimed just at iBasso - I've said exactly the same thing to James (Fiio).

But I know iBasso don't really have a dealer network in the same manner as the likes of Fiio. It's a less-than-satisfactory situation, to be frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back