Ibasso DX80
Sep 23, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #332 of 1,208
When the DX90 was announced I had the unit in my hands 3 months later . . .  1 month to go ??  :D

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #335 of 1,208
To me, it`s ok. Just the angle of pic and tapered edges makes it look "sphagetti".

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #336 of 1,208
I want it to support TIDAL/Qobuz/Spotify please.

I understand that this requires wi-fi, and that some folks are suspicious of wi-fi's effect on SQ.
Personally I deal with this by downloading my playlists to the device or sd card storage (2 X micro sd! :) :) :) great move iBasso) and switching the wi-fi off until I want to add tracks to playlists.

I'd be amazed if the DX80 does end up supporting these services, but I live in hope.

My main hope is currently for the Echobox Explorer DAP which sounded great when I heard it at CanJam London, and provides proof (to me at least) that it can be done.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #337 of 1,208
I want it to support TIDAL/Qobuz/Spotify please.

I understand that this requires wi-fi, and that some folks are suspicious of wi-fi's effect on SQ.
Personally I deal with this by downloading my playlists to the device or sd card storage (2 X micro sd! :) :) :) great move iBasso) and switching the wi-fi off until I want to add tracks to playlists.

I'd be amazed if the DX80 does end up supporting these services, but I live in hope.

My main hope is currently for the Echobox Explorer DAP which sounded great when I heard it at CanJam London, and provides proof (to me at least) that it can be done.

I can't imagine why supporting wi-fi would affect sound quality, but the hardware would certainly affect battery life.

At an OS level, and assuming the DX80 is an Android device, the networking stack has been already written.

Implementing streaming services into the application (Mango?) is another matter though, lots of work. Not to mention the UI for each service.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #338 of 1,208

.......At an OS level, and assuming the DX80 is an Android device, the networking stack has been already written.

Implementing streaming services into the application (Mango?) is another matter though, lots of work. Not to mention the UI for each service.

I'm sure you're right.
But it has to be said that other DAP manufacturers are starting to release devices which manage all of the above.
(not to mention about a gazillion cellphones which also manage them, albeit without the excellent sound quality we seek)

I have come to rely (happily) entirely upon Spotify/TIDAL/BBC 6 music for all my listening and new music discovery, so I'll certainly consider buying an iBasso DAP when they start to support 'streaming' services.

As far as the battery goes, I am happy with 4-5 hours if that leaves room for the above.
I'd like to be able to replace the battery on the fly so that I can carry extras for long-haul trips, but a fixed battery wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, as long as I can use the device while charging from a power-bank, much the same as being able to swap batteries IMO.

If the DX80 won't be the device I'd like, then I'll keep an aye open for the DX90 successor (or the Echobox, if it 'gets here' first, or the DX90+ fails to do streaming)

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #339 of 1,208
I have not heard a streaming service that sounds as good as the same music ripped from a CD. I enjoy Tidal but when I really want to hear the music and all the quality, I go to a ripped CD etc. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #341 of 1,208
I have not heard a streaming service that sounds as good as the same music ripped from a CD. I enjoy Tidal but when I really want to hear the music and all the quality, I go to a ripped CD etc. 

I agree but even on my home set up I really struggle to hear an appreciable difference between CD and TIDAL.
On a mobile rig that small (IMO) difference is even less of an issue when ambient noise is a factor (even with the isolation afforded by my CIEM's).
The inclusion of streaming service features wouldn't preclude the storage of music from other sources such as CD/HD downloads etc.

Sorry if this plea seems somewhat off topic, but I'd really like the DX80 to do TIDAL etc, and if you don't ask.....

Aesthetically, I really like the 50/90, and the 80 looks quite nice too.
The new edges take the 'prosumer' wardrobe of the 50/90 and add a pair of Astell & Kern dress shoes, and I'm not wholly convinced by the addition though.

I'd also like the corners of the front buttons radiused a little rounder (bring back the red button from the proto' DAP while you're at it iBasso! I loved that :D)

The side buttons also look a little cheap, and potentially difficult to 'braille read' in the pocket.

I'm aware that these features are already finalised, please realise that these suggestions are meant in the spirit of constructive feedback from one solitary potential customer.
Overall I feel that iBasso design one of my favourite looking DAP's on the market (regardless of price), so please don't think that I'm ragging on the design!
The absence of streaming support is the only thing that has kept me from ordering an iBasso DAP!

I anxoiusly await streaming, and SQ reports :popcorn:

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #342 of 1,208
Check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760848/new-and-improved-luxury-precision-l5-pro-32bit-dsd-dap-with-akm-ak4490-touch-screen-rosewood-blackplate/390#post_11950382

"Thank you for the comparison John. I do not own the original L5 but I do have the iPod Classic, X1, X3, X3SG,X5SG, DX50, DX90, AK120II, AK240 and soon the X7. I have a lot of work to do 
rolleyes.gif

I also listened to the new iBasso DX80 this weekend. Its sound was pretty good, above DX90 level but the UI still needs a lot of work.

I have been using the L5Pro with the Hugo and the Meier portable amp, but I have to say the L5P is very powerful and I didn't really need either of those devices to drive my headphones."

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #343 of 1,208
I wonder if it is too much to ask to be able to rename tracks/files on a DAP. I don't have time to sit at my computer and re number all my files to be in the correct order. I don't mind my albums starting with a ballad, but I would prefer it be in the order it was intended, rather than alphabetical. Point me in the right direction if there is a way to easily fix this. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #344 of 1,208
My Speculation:

Given the following: 
-Dual DAC Architecture,
-Bigger and Better Resolution Screen, 
-High Capacity Built-in Battery
-Dual Micro SD Slots
-Optical Out, and
-Other Overall Improvements and Additional Features

I am speculating that:
-To be priced around $350
-The battery life to be around 11-12Hrs.
-The number '80' in the name seems to suggest that the player is placed closer to DX90 than the DX50
-Seems to be a clear winner over the Fiio X3ii(purely in terms of hardware specifications) and more of a competitor to the Fiio X5ii. 
-The DX90's successor will be pitted against the Fiio X7

What are your thoughts?

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #345 of 1,208
  My Speculation:

Given the following: 
-Dual DAC Architecture,
-Bigger and Better Resolution Screen, 
-High Capacity Built-in Battery
-Dual Micro SD Slots
-Optical Out, and
-Other Overall Improvements and Additional Features

I am speculating that:
-To be priced around $350
-The battery life to be around 11-12Hrs.
-The number '80' in the name seems to suggest that the player is placed closer to DX90 than the DX50
-Seems to be a clear winner over the Fiio X3ii(purely in terms of hardware specifications) and more of a competitor to the Fiio X5ii. 
-The DX90's successor will be against the Fiio X7

What are your thoughts?

Agreed.

But I think battery life will not be more than 10hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back