Ibasso DX80
Sep 17, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #316 of 1,208
Got my DX50 2 days ago :pensive:

And this is the DX80 thread 
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #319 of 1,208

Don't worry, I still love my DX50 (and there's always going to be something new round the corner).

I find the DX50 to be very musical and enjoy it more than my modified AK100, which cost a whole lot more. 

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #322 of 1,208
Sep 19, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #323 of 1,208
With the DX80 having the same Cirrus Logic DAC (CS4398) as the FiiO X3 2nd gen, i hope it's not gonna sound the same.
Why not the same as AK240? The same DAC as well.:)

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #324 of 1,208
With the DX80 having the same Cirrus Logic DAC (CS4398) as the FiiO X3 2nd gen, i hope it's not gonna sound the same. I'm selling my FiiO X3 2nd gen because i'm not happy with the slightly warm, full sound, which seems to be slightly veiling overall transparency and details just a tad.

'Neutral' is always the order of the day, i hope iBasso will keep that in mind. Any music already sounds the way it's meant to sound, whether neutral cold or warm, the DAC should in no way interfere with the tone of the song, the DAC should always aim for total neutrality, just sayin.

Fiio X3ii lineout is very transparent though

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #325 of 1,208

With the DX80 having the same Cirrus Logic DAC (CS4398) as the FiiO X3 2nd gen, i hope it's not gonna sound the same. I'm selling my FiiO X3 2nd gen because i'm not happy with the slightly warm, full sound, which seems to be slightly veiling overall transparency and details just a tad.

'Neutral' is always the order of the day, i hope iBasso will keep that in mind. Any music already sounds the way it's meant to sound, whether neutral cold or warm, the DAC should in no way interfere with the tone of the song, the DAC should always aim for total neutrality, just sayin.

There is more than the dac that makes up the sound, as I know you already know. So from that and from what I have heard from iBasso in the past, I doubt the sound will be overly warm or lacking in transparency. Since it is using two dac chips that are also used in the Ak240 and it is not noted as being warm and lacking in transparency, there is no reason to assume the DX80 will be overly warm, but then we have to wait and see. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #326 of 1,208
You can't exactly directly compare ibasso's to AK's if they use the same dacs, because AK use discrete IV and LPF stages while ibasso go for op-amp based, so they both have very different tuning possibilities as far as dac output goes, I have generally found I prefer discrete stages when done well. I don't mean discrete is better than opamp, the performance of each is all based on implementation, but I do like to see discrete designs because it means the engineer has specific goals in the circuits design. I wouldn't ever buy AK because I don't approve of their business model and there are plenty of other discrete design daps like Pono, Cowon m/p1, Calyx m, and others I have temporarily forgotten.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #328 of 1,208
He was trying to ask if one should get DX80 if you have DX90.  Both daps will sound different, it's anyone's guess whether you would like DX80 or DX90 more. Although being named as a lower model isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #329 of 1,208
What new engineering tech? It could only be an improvement due to knowledge gained from previous mistakes (if any) in DX90, which is a valid point, but again, If ibasso were so confident in DX80 they would have given it a higher model name, just the same way each of their new amps has a higher model name than the last. They are discontinuing DX90, so they have no reason to be hesitant about new model names. At best the DX80 will be on par with DX90 but with a different sound sig, and as I said it's anyone's guess as to which any given person would prefer. It's pretty obvious that sooner or later ibasso will have a higher model released to be their flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back