iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,606 of 6,795
  Paul,

Question on library management: I shut down the player and removed one of the cards, then powered it on with another card remaining. DX80 still has files from the removed card in the library views.
If I try to play them it does nothing of course.

Obviously, the way out is to rescan the missing card. but that means once I put it back I have to scan again, even though I made no changes to the card. It would be great if the player can detect missing card and perhaps "grey out" the songs/albums/artists in library view, but do not remove them from memory. This way when I put the card back I'm in business right away.Rescanning does take a long time 10-12 minutes for me on a single 128GB card.

I have passed this on to the software team to see what solution they can come up with.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,608 of 6,795
  Paul, found the reason - I have few file names beginning with a "." - these are the ones DX80 did not process into library. For example ".01.track_name.flac"

Ok, get rid of those.
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,609 of 6,795
For those that have gone back to 1.1.4 be sure and do a factory reset. We have found out that this works better.

For the SDXC cards they will work better and not make the sounds some have experienced with the DX80 if formatted to FAT32. We are working with the chip manufacture to fix this.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,610 of 6,795
For those that have gone back to 1.1.4 be sure and do a factory reset. We have found out that this works better.

For the SDXC cards they will work better and not make the sounds some have experienced with the DX80 if formatted to FAT32. We are working with the chip manufacture to fix this.

Fat32 also faster compared to exfat. Large capacity card can be formatted using guifotmat.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,611 of 6,795

But, the max size for FAT32 partition is only 32GB ? I hope this is just a temporary workaround.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,614 of 6,795
I'd also like to see the current playing now Metadata be linkable to drill down to that field, much like JREMOTE for JRMC. Just feels a bit odd in this day and age we can't import standard M3U playlists without editing them and while playing music you can't click the Artist name and just get a list of all the files they are tagged on, then you could add to playing now etc.

The OS on this is ULTRA basic. Might even be a deal breaker for me.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,615 of 6,795

Paul, so is it a hardware issue or it can be fixed by future FW?

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,616 of 6,795

Gone back? Is there a newer firmware than 1.1.4?

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,617 of 6,795

Gone back? Is there a newer firmware than 1.1.4?

There was 1.2.0 firmware available briefly a few days ago, its been taken down from iBasso website for the time being while some things are improved.

Stick with your 1.1.4 firmware for the time being.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #1,618 of 6,795
So my new DX80 arrived yesterday and I've been having a play. Unfortunately an Xmas/NY bug has caused an ear infection leaving me temporarily deaf in one ear, so SQ comments will have to wait - for now this is just my experiences regarding GUI and usability in light of previous posts regarding fw issues.

My unit came preloaded with fw 1.1.4. so have left as-is based on comments re fw version 1.2.

I am using x2 ByteStor Pro 128 GB Class 10 cards which were just £29 from Amazon UK. Not the fastest to write to based on transfer rates via a USB 3.0 reader but perfectly usable for audio purposes.

I do all my file transfers directly via my Synology DS412+ NAS because it has all my music on it and has an inbuilt USB 3.0 port which my slightly ageing iMac and MacMini do not.

Because (for reasons I cannot explain) Synology only support FAT32 and not exFAT formatting for external drives, I was forced to used FAT32, however this seems to be the better option. As I don't have any DSD files and am not a Classical fan, the 4GB file size limit poses no practical limitation and I was able to partition the cards as single volumes of 117GB usable capacity.

Scanning both cards, one full, one half full, took a few minutes on first insertion, but once the file log was written to each card, the both work instantly if removed and reinserted.

Having played around and flicked through as many menu options as I can think of, I found the GUI to be perfectly responsive, with no noticeable lag.

As my two cards have hi-res and compilations on one, with single artist lossless albums on the other, putting the DX80 into 'all music shuffle' mode inevitably requires jumps between different folders, cards and separate log files when skipping forward or back between tracks - again this is performed instantly with no detectable delay.

I can also report that gapless playback of 'mixed' electronic dance albums works flawlessly. I had not expected this to work properly, but it does. This is on lossless albums in ALAC format, I can't comment on whether this will be the case with FLAC or MP3 as I don't use either of these formats.

Finally I get no audible artefacts whatsoever when skipping, pausing or un-pausing tracks, so again not having any of the issues cited by other posters, whether this is fw or hardware related remains to be seen,

In summary then, on a player purchased 21DEC from an eBay seller whom I believe is based in HK, I received a unit which was pre-loaded with fw version 1.1.4. When tested throughly with x2 FAT32 128GB cards containing all lossless ALAC files, I can find no issues whatsoever, including flawless gapless playback of mixed albums.

My final comment is that I am very fastidious with my file metadata - I have no idea if this is of any relevance.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #1,619 of 6,795
ok... those facing crackling sound may want to try running 1 mSD card in slot 1. i was running 1 samsung 64gb EVO card and another 32 samsung card (older class10 model)

also i tried this and it seems the crackling sound is gone at the moment. I factory reset 2-3 times and install the FW to 1.14 and do 2-3 times factory reset again.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,620 of 6,795
oh fw 1.2 caused my unit sparkling and won't play or go forward or backward. But it's really the newer dx80 batch doesn't has thump noise problem anymore? Maybe the manufacturer removed a bad resistor of dx80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back