iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 1, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #1,638 of 6,795
Are you using a card formatted to FAT32? We have tried the DX80 with all of our dac units like the D12 and D14 and get no sound when changing songs. We also borrowed a Hugo and there are no sounds. It seems that there is something between the connection of the DX80 and the Mojo doing this. So we will borrow a Mojo and see what can be done.

I also get this, also using the Mojo (optical) but soon will be able to connect via coaxial. It is very prevalent when ALL Music is selected, then shuffle. When manually press next track cause the click.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #1,640 of 6,795
Mine from iTunes displays but I use Cover Art to find missing covers. The few blanks I still had on the DX80 I fixed by changing the name of the cover file (on the microdisk) to folder.jpg. Others said this is not necessary, that the DX80 will recognize cover art file whatever it is named. So you have to try and see what works in your particular case. First thing I'd do is check tags and make sure you actually have cover art file for each album.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,643 of 6,795
I have dx80 to mojo, dx80 does not play dsd files through mojo or anything.... What's going on? It has 1bit/2822.4 kgh

What do I do

I don't think DX80 supports that. there was already the discussion on this topic, search the thread.
Personally, I converted my DSDs to 24/92 flac, as much as I tried I did not hear any difference at all.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,645 of 6,795
You can play native dsd (dsf files) directly, I.e with phones connected directly to the dx-80. The issue is when you try to connect to an eternal amp or dac, as the coax out doesn't allow dsf file's to be played /transferred and the usb connection doesn't work as a usb out. The dx-90 did a conversion to from dsf to pcm, but the dx-80 doesn't yet. Maybe a later firmware update?

Quite frustrating! You would have thought a $360 music player billed as dsd ready would have been able to do these things....as I said in an earlier post, there is a gap in the market here for a reasonably priced player that covers all the bases. I still find it frustrating that you seem to need a phd in audio electronics to figure everything out....and a thousand cables and adapters to make things work as they should!

I have a few daps, including the dx-90, dx-80 and Cayin N6....I use each for different purposes, sometimes as portable rigs on the road, and sometimes connected to my home rigs, (speaker based and headphone based). I still spend a lot of time frigging things to get them to work correctly!  Maybe I should start a cable business!

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,646 of 6,795
I believe no player can pass DSD via coax or optical, for copyright reasons, it is not DX80 fault.You need to have HDMI to pass that through.
What can be done is player converts DSD to PCM and passes that, as you mentioned DX90 does. I hope we will see that in future FW for DX80.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,647 of 6,795
  You can play native dsd (dsf files) directly, I.e with phones connected directly to the dx-80. The issue is when you try to connect to an eternal amp or dac, as the coax out doesn't allow dsf file's to be played /transferred and the usb connection doesn't work as a usb out. The dx-90 did a conversion to from dsf to pcm, but the dx-80 doesn't yet. Maybe a later firmware update?

Quite frustrating! You would have thought a $360 music player billed as dsd ready would have been able to do these things....as I said in an earlier post, there is a gap in the market here for a reasonably priced player that covers all the bases. I still find it frustrating that you seem to need a phd in audio electronics to figure everything out....and a thousand cables and adapters to make things work as they should!

I have a few daps, including the dx-90, dx-80 and Cayin N6....I use each for different purposes, sometimes as portable rigs on the road, and sometimes connected to my home rigs, (speaker based and headphone based). I still spend a lot of time frigging things to get them to work correctly!  Maybe I should start a cable business!

Why frustration? The DX80 does great with DSD, why use another portable dac, when it already does it and IMO, sounds great. Chord has stated in the past that they feel DSD isn't as good as well converted redbook. I differ on this opinion by a long shot and like the native DSD by the DX80 and on well done DSD find that there is more musical depth to it vs lower resolution. Also fun is to use the line out of the DX80 while using DSD to something like the micro Zotl or some electrostatic phones. It wasn't that long ago that no players did native DSD. Now many more do. It's all good. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,648 of 6,795
The problem is when you have difficult to drive headphones, you need an external amp with some more power. Not everyone needs this and I'm sure it's fine for a lot of people. But, there are a few power hungry phones out there and if you need a more powerful amp, then playing dsd is an issue. I'm already beginning to give up on the whole dsd thing anyway...it just seems a pita! There always seems to be one issue or another, so my plan now is just to go with flac's for everything. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,649 of 6,795
  The problem is when you have difficult to drive headphones, you need an external amp with some more power. Not everyone needs this and I'm sure it's fine for a lot of people. But, there are a few power hungry phones out there and if you need a more powerful amp, then playing dsd is an issue. I'm already beginning to give up on the whole dsd thing anyway...it just seems a pita! There always seems to be one issue or another, so my plan now is just to go with flac's for everything. 

If you are using an outboard amp then using the line out gives you the music from the DSD file. I have around 90 DSD files and if I need more power then I hook up the P5 or micro Zotl and away I go. I listen to DSD. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,650 of 6,795

Agree. So the real issue i think is with the mojo (discussion started with mojo..). not DX80. Mojo does not have analog in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back