iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 31, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,622 of 6,795
Paul, so is it a hardware issue or it can be fixed by future FW?

It is hardware but will also be fixed by a FW update. We have contacted the manufacture about this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 31, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,623 of 6,795
I get cracking, poping noises when I switch songs, even more when I drive Mojo with the dx80.

Running 1.4 with 32gb SD in the slot closest to the screen...

Are you using a card formatted to FAT32? We have tried the DX80 with all of our dac units like the D12 and D14 and get no sound when changing songs. We also borrowed a Hugo and there are no sounds. It seems that there is something between the connection of the DX80 and the Mojo doing this. So we will borrow a Mojo and see what can be done.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 31, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,624 of 6,795
Are you using a card formatted to FAT32? We have tried the DX80 with all of our dac units like the D12 and D14 and get no sound when changing songs. We also borrowed a Hugo and there are no sounds. It seems that there is something between the connection of the DX80 and the Mojo doing this. So we will borrow a Mojo and see what can be done.

I have it on a 32gb fat 32 and using the SD slot nearest the screen (idk if that is first or 2nd)

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,625 of 6,795
I have just received my DX80 unit. Let's say this is an interesting time of the year to get it..For the moment, I am waiting for my pair of high fidelity headphones, so I just tested it using an ordinary headphone.

I want to say just 2 things:

- first, I just seem to have to turn the volume knob to over 110 just to be able to hear the songs in normal volume, pretty far from "loud". Is there any explanation for this? As far as I remember following this thread, some of you said that you listen at well below 100 and everything was just fine. Does it have to do with the sensitivity of the headphones? I just wonder. ..

- second, I have noticed that sometimes, when I switch to a different song, from a different folder, the player keeps showing me the graphics of the previous song, while playing the new song. It definitely seems to be a FW error.

I have received the player with 1.14 and stuck to it. No feedback yet regarding the hiss or any other noises, more when I'll get the new headphones.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,627 of 6,795
Like sc53 said - About 110 is normal if Im using my Planer headphones with it. Less if using sensative IEMS
The art issue is I think a bug, Ive had it myself a few times. Report in the dx80 bug forum. iBasso will be quick to fix it im sure, although in general when that happens it can be that the included jpeg album art is too large and so takes a while for the player to render in ...such as being 1mb or more.
There are a few bugs which iBasso are working hard to fix
They rely on the community to report bugs so it can take a few FW's to sort everything out but with a bit of patience Im sure we will be enjoying an amazing 'flawless' device :)

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,628 of 6,795
I have just received my DX80 unit. Let's say this is an interesting time of the year to get it..For the moment, I am waiting for my pair of high fidelity headphones, so I just tested it using an ordinary headphone.

I want to say just 2 things:

- first, I just seem to have to turn the volume knob to over 110 just to be able to hear the songs in normal volume, pretty far from "loud". Is there any explanation for this? As far as I remember following this thread, some of you said that you listen at well below 100 and everything was just fine. Does it have to do with the sensitivity of the headphones? I just wonder. ..

- second, I have noticed that sometimes, when I switch to a different song, from a different folder, the player keeps showing me the graphics of the previous song, while playing the new song. It definitely seems to be a FW error.

I have received the player with 1.14 and stuck to it. No feedback yet regarding the hiss or any other noises, more when I'll get the new headphones.

On volume, it depends upon the headphones you are using. I have some that only need to be around 90 for me but others maybe 120, depending upon the sensitivity of the headphones. There are many variables. There is a drop down menu on the DX80 that you pull from the top of the screen by swiping your finger from top to bottom and on it it shows the gain setting, which you can change. There are also other settings on there as well. 
Go to settings and set gain to low. It's on high by default.

If he set it to low the volume would be even less. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,629 of 6,795
Thank you, jamato8 and jon parker for your replies. It's true, the headphones I'm using are not sensitive at all. So, I guess everything is just fine.

As regards the gain setting, I've setted it up on 'low', following some recommendations on this thread. I am not sure of the implications in terms of distorsions of setting the gain to 'high', but for the moment I'll stick with the low option.

I'll report the cover issue on the dedicated thread. Thanks, again!

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,630 of 6,795
As noted above, setting Gain to low will result in even lower volume than on high. I had it reversed, sorry! I have a headphone amp where plugging phones into High is for sensitive phones and into Low is for hard to drive phones; opposite applies with DX80 settings.

To continue a bug report from earlier:  all my DSD files are playing at too fast a tempo with both firmware 1.1.2 and 1.4. It's not just that one Dylan album--Jazz at the Pawnshop sounds like Dixieland jazz. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,631 of 6,795
  As noted above, setting Gain to low will result in even lower volume than on high. I had it reversed, sorry! I have a headphone amp where plugging phones into High is for sensitive phones and into Low is for hard to drive phones; opposite applies with DX80 settings.

To continue a bug report from earlier:  all my DSD files are playing at too fast a tempo with both firmware 1.1.2 and 1.4. It's not just that one Dylan album--Jazz at the Pawnshop sounds like Dixieland jazz. 

Strange. I have the same DSD albums and on 1.1.4 they play fine. I have around 80 DSD files and they all play fine. I wonder what the difference is? Have you tried a factory reset?

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,632 of 6,795
all my DSD files are playing at too fast a tempo with both firmware 1.1.2 and 1.4.

Which DSD - DSD64, DSD128, or DSD256? All that I tried in DSD64 and DSD128, both DSF and DFF file formats, play just fine. I had a problem with DSD256, but it is not supported officially.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,634 of 6,795
  Mine are DSD64 and 128--I know that 256 is not supported. I have reset several times. I just can't get these DSD files to play properly. They play fine through my laptop and Dragonfly.

Did you try and download and reload the FW 1.1.4 and then do a factory reset? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back