iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 6, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #976 of 6,795

You mean that it takes 5 seconds from the time you turn on the DX80 or once the music screen comes up that shows an album to play, it takes 5 more seconds? 

Once the music screen comes up. None of the buttons will work and I cannot swipe in either direction. After about 5 seconds everything's fine and snappy.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #977 of 6,795
  Once the music screen comes up. None of the buttons will work and I cannot swipe in either direction. After about 5 seconds everything's fine and snappy.

Did you try a factory reset? 

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #979 of 6,795

I don't think the AK's are bad products, but I sort of think that they are testing the waters on brand loyalty to see how far can they can push the customers. It's hard to keep up with all the hype on each launch of AK240, 240SS, 380, 320, in such a short period of time..

The important thing about super expensive products is that they demonstrate what a brand can do with no excuses about the cost being the factor. It's actually really hard to create a desirable product that makes people justify spending that much money with confidence. (you can't just hike up the price on a crappy gear and expect everyone to believe it's worth the price). In that sense, AK has done well in making people go crazy over them, just like Leica cameras etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that the sound quality is superior in every way.

Personally I think a DAP is a gadget that becomes obsolete very quickly (unlike speakers and power amps), so it's best for me to frequently update to a new DAP in the price point that I can afford.

I can sell some of my Summicrons for more now than I paid for them. They are precision instruments. While I understand what you are getting at, I don't think that AK qualifies as the same type of quality to performance ratio as Leica. That is for the lenses of course. With my M9 body, well it is digital and takes a hit but my M2 still holds its price though not many shooting film these days but again quality to performance is there. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #980 of 6,795

I can sell some of my Summicrons for more now than I paid for them. They are precision instruments. While I understand what you are getting at, I don't think that AK qualifies as the same type of quality to performance ratio as Leica. That is for the lenses of course. With my M9 body, well it is digital and takes a hit but my M2 still holds its price though not many shooting film these days but again quality to performance is there. 

Sorry. I was specifically talking about those compact Leica that rich dads like to swing around their neck proudly in tourist spots. I'm worried that AK ended up the same fate, that the serious hi-fi enthusiasts will feel embarrassed to use it because of the "premium grade" reputation.

Anyhow, DX80 being great, my point was that it would be nice if iBasso made a cost-no-objective statement model to showcase how far they can go. Not that I would definitely buy one...

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #982 of 6,795
Sorry. I was specifically talking about those compact Leica that rich dads like to swing around their neck proudly in tourist spots. I'm worried that AK ended up the same fate, that the serious hi-fi enthusiasts will feel embarrassed to use it because of the "premium grade" reputation.

Anyhow, DX80 being great, my point was that it would be nice if iBasso made a cost-no-objective statement model to showcase how far they can go. Not that I would definitely buy one...

Brand marketing?

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #983 of 6,795
  Am I hearing things or is L/R Balance reversed?

Neither of both - sliding to the left, it says "L  -x", meaning the left channel's volume gets reduced. 
wink.gif

At first, I also thought that the balance control was reversed (or that my IEMs' channels were reversed), but then I noticed the "minus" before the number.
Probably not the most intuitive method for adjusting channel balance though.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #984 of 6,795
  sorry for out of topic.. but this is so true and hilarious at the same time!

I also see a lot of tourists with the red line lens (Canon) and gold line lens (nikon) around their neck in Hong Kong. I'm not sure why they need to carry their camera on their neck in a heavily crowded shopping area.  I think it's like the Leica where it's a status symbol.  

Leica's are hard to use!  I've tried the rangefinder way, and it works, but I'm just too lazy looking to take a quick snap sometimes.  But the picture coming out of the process really is nice.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #985 of 6,795

Yeah this happens to me, too, on both of the DX80s I had. For some reason I can swipe down to get that menu before I can swipe left or right. But after about 5 seconds everything is fine.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #988 of 6,795

You mean that it takes 5 seconds from the time you turn on the DX80 or once the music screen comes up that shows an album to play, it takes 5 more seconds? 

I can't help wondering if this might be related to the DX80 perhaps not yet having completed indexing the microSD card(s)?     Do you have a very large number of tracks on your card(s)..?

Also, do you have a lot of embedded artwork in your music tracks?

Please note - I do not own a DX80, so I am only making a reasonable guess (I'm an ex DX100 owner).

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #990 of 6,795

I can't help wondering if this might be related to the DX80 perhaps not yet having completed indexing the microSD card(s)?     Do you have a very large number of tracks on your card(s)..?

Also, do you have a lot of embedded artwork in your music tracks?

Please note - I do not own a DX80, so I am only making a reasonable guess (I'm an ex DX100 owner).

I have 3,300 FLACs, and 85-90% have album art and 30% of the album art is PNG which is currently unreadable by the DX80.
No files on the device are changed, and this 5-second pause occurs on every boot.
It might be scanning the card(s) behind the scenes, sure. It's just a little frustrating since I often forget to wait the 5 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back