iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 7, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,006 of 6,795
  I think I will buy the DX80 as the feature set is what I am looking for in a dap and the price is great even in Oz
However after reading all the threads I think IBasso have shot themselves in the foot
Product not being fully finished and the raiders of the lost ark firmware puzzle has cost sales

I wouldn't quite go as far as saying they have shot themselves in the foot.

In the week I have spent with my DX80 the only real problem that bothered me was the scanning issue. Other than that I have not faced any freezes, random restarts, or lags during normal operation. Gapless works fine, UI seems responsive enough, screen quality is good enough to be read effortlessly under sunlight, really there is nothing much to complain.

I agree I was fortunate enough to not face the hissing issue but as confirmed by Paul it has also been fixed. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #1,007 of 6,795

That is why I said it was a few in the first batch. A capacitor was changed and the problem solved and no longer exists.

May I know how to check whether a particular unit (ie. mine) is first batch or not?

The capacitor in question... do you mean iBasso switched to a different brand/model or just another batch of the same brand/model?

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,008 of 6,795
DX80 plus my Kojo km01 is just amazing!

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,009 of 6,795
Thanx to all that responded to my post. Keep'm come'n.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #1,010 of 6,795
  I wouldn't quite go as far as saying they have shot themselves in the foot.

In the week I have spent with my DX80 the only real problem that bothered me was the scanning issue. Other than that I have not faced any freezes, random restarts, or lags during normal operation. Gapless works fine, UI seems responsive enough, screen quality is good enough to be read effortlessly under sunlight, really there is nothing much to complain.

I agree I was fortunate enough to not face the hissing issue but as confirmed by Paul it has also been fixed. 

Omastic I had a similar problem with one of my 128GB cards. I formatted it with an SD Card formatting tool and its been fine since

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #1,011 of 6,795
I paired my DX80 up with the Tralucent DacAmp One as an amp, my gosh the sound that comes out of those two together. 

The line out is wonderful.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,012 of 6,795
  I paired my DX80 up with the Tralucent DacAmp One as an amp, my gosh the sound that comes out of those two together. 

The line out is wonderful.

I'm really enjoying the line out too. As a matter of fact I'm very happy that I purchased the DX80, after a few minor growing pains it has really impressed me. Very good sound and a tremendous value. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,013 of 6,795
  I'm really enjoying the line out too. As a matter of fact I'm very happy that I purchased the DX80, after a few minor growing pains it has really impressed me. Very good sound and a tremendous value. 

Could you tell us if your Fiio E12A amp makes much of an improvement?

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,015 of 6,795
I haven't had the need to use an amp. It really doesn't need one for my purposes. I found that the x3ii was improved with the e12a but the DX80 has plenty of power. The highest impedance I use with it is 31ohms.

Thanks for you reply but since you have it are you not tempted to try it out to see if it improves the sound?
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,016 of 6,795

I haven't had the need to use an amp. It really doesn't need one for my purposes. I found that the x3ii was improved with the e12a but the DX80 has plenty of power. The highest impedance I use with it is 31ohms.

Thanks for you reply but since you have it are you not tempted to try it out to see if it improves the sound?
evil_smiley.gif

One of the main reasons I purchased the dx80 was so I didn't need to stack it, (portability) and it passed with flying colors. I've ran it through the Schiit Valhalla 2 and it sounds wonderful. i did that to see how it would sound with headphones. So no, I'm not really interested but I will hook it up so I can answer your question. I'll try it this evening and let you know tomorrow. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,017 of 6,795
I have found a few of my amps to degrade the sound and some to just sound different. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,018 of 6,795
  I have found a few of my amps to degrade the sound and some to just sound different. 

Yes, also from my experience I tend to agree with you and then we have to add the synergy issue into the equation.

Also, when you hear people say the Mojo makes the DX80 much better and others say it just makes it sound different, we tend to get confused.
confused_face_2.gif

Ideally, we all want just one unit, as most of us who have had experience with stacks know they tend to be a pain in the donkey!

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,019 of 6,795
  Yes, also from my experience I tend to agree with you and then we have to add the synergy issue into the equation.

Also, when you hear people say the Mojo makes the DX80 much better and others say it just makes it sound different, we tend to get confused.
confused_face_2.gif

Ideally, we all want just one unit, as most of us who have had experience with stacks know they tend to be a pain in the donkey!

I find the Mojo to sound different, yes. The DX80 is a little more open sounding and no less musical the Mojo extremely natural and faithful to the music. They both do a very good job. On the DX80 and stacking it, I have some very excellent portable amps here and have no desire to stack it. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,020 of 6,795
Speaking of pairing devices with the DX80, in a similar vein, what do folks think is a perfect pairing of IEMs with the DX80?
Yes, I know it's very subjective, but the opinions might help me narrow down some IEMs to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back