iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 7, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #991 of 6,795
I have 3,300 FLACs, and 85-90% have album art and 30% of the album art is PNG which is currently unreadable by the DX80.
No files on the device are changed, and this 5-second pause occurs on every boot.
It might be scanning the card(s) behind the scenes, sure. It's just a little frustrating since I often forget to wait the 5 seconds.

I have exactly the same experience and have assumed there is something going on in the background. I have 2 128gb cards one full one 3 quarter full, all 16 or 24 flacs / m4a's
Maybe 50% have embedded album art the rest have jog's in the folder.

Maybe Paul can cast some light on this....

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #992 of 6,795
I have exactly the same experience and have assumed there is something going on in the background. I have 2 128gb cards one full one 3 quarter full, all 16 or 24 flacs / m4a's
Maybe 50% have embedded album art the rest have jog's in the folder.

Maybe Paul can cast some light on this....

No big deal as far as I'm concerned! The UI is such an improvement on the DX90......

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #993 of 6,795
Some of the album art is too large a file. I forgot what the size limitation is but when files are 1.2 mb or larger it is much larger than needed. I have to ask my guys again on the file size limitation.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 7, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #994 of 6,795
  Some of the album art is too large a file. I forgot what the size limitation is but when files are 1.2 mb or larger it is much larger than needed. I have to ask my guys again on the file size limitation.

OK thanks. I'll see if I can find some small PNGs that display fine. Granted, if your guys can increase the limit (if possible) then it saves me from modifying several thousand FLACs. :)

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #995 of 6,795
  Thanks mikeral.

One more question, how did hd650 paired with dx80 in terms of sound. 

I try to stay away from SQ specifics as I do not consider myself qualified.. and SQ is so subjective. To me HD-650 sounds a bit too dark with DX80, also soundstage is narrow, it;s right between your ears and does not expand any further. I like DX80 with my HE-560 much more - it's brighter and wider.

I loaned my cowon P1 and should get it back in a few days, i will compare DX80 vs P1 with HD650 and let you know. From memory P1 was wider with HD650 but also a bit too dark for my liking.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #996 of 6,795
  The DX80 also works with my iPhone 4 + Apple CCK. Cool. 
L3000.gif

Anyone has tried iPad 2 + 30 Pin Apple official CCK  + USB -> USB Micro cable ( supplied in the box ) + DX80 USB DAC ?
I got connected and disconnected, not stable for some reason.

Also, anyone has tried iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Lightning CCK + USB -> MicroUSB + DX80 USB DAC + Onkyo HF Player HD with DoP ?

I am looking for one cable solution for Apple lightning CCK-MicroUSB.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #997 of 6,795

Anyone has tried iPad 2 + 30 Pin Apple official CCK  + USB -> USB Micro cable ( supplied in the box ) + DX80 USB DAC ?
I got connected and disconnected, not stable for some reason.

Also, anyone has tried iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Lightning CCK + USB -> MicroUSB + DX80 USB DAC + Onkyo HF Player HD with DoP ?

I am looking for one cable solution for Apple lightning CCK-MicroUSB.

Would love a one cable solution.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,001 of 6,795
Is this the perfect DAP for me?

- optical out
- can be plugged-in and powered while streaming music over a toslink cable, so no battery drain over hours of play (is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong)
- multiple unlimited size SD card support (wish one was fullsize, but two micro SDs is not a big deal)
- 1/2 the price more or less of many other premium daps
- quite good dac and amp implementation if I don't use it with an external dac/amp. (This is where the paw5k fall short based on what many have said). Tho this is at the bottom of the list of things I care about.

I suspect this is a place for a biased opinion. But is the general concensus one of happiness with the dx80?

Alternates I am considering are:
- Lotoo PAW 5000
- Cowon P1
- the Onkyo player (forgetting the model #; I know there is no toslink. But can it stream over USB while plugged in?)
- AK1x0
- an android tablet for USB instead of spdif streaming with playback via Neutron.
- a windows tablet so I can use foobar2k for USB streaming.

Please talk me into or out of the dx80, or one of the others. :D

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,002 of 6,795

- optical out
- can be plugged-in and powered while streaming music over a toslink cable, so no battery drain over hours of play (is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong)
- multiple unlimited size SD card support (wish one was fullsize, but two micro SDs is not a big deal)
- quite good dac and amp implementation if I don't use it with an external dac/amp. (This is where the paw5k fall short based on what many have said). Tho this is at the bottom of the list of things I care about.

I suspect this is a place for a biased opinion. But is the general concensus one of happiness with the dx80?

- Lotoo PAW 5000
- Cowon P1
- the Onkyo player (forgetting the model #; I know there is no toslink. But can it stream over USB while plugged in?)
- AK1x0
- an android tablet for USB instead of spdif streaming with playback via Neutron.

Please talk me into or out of the dx80, or one of the others.
biggrin.gif

I'm currently testing the Lotoo PAW 5000 and while its a very good player, its not as good as the DX80 in terms of SD cards, GUI or sound

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,003 of 6,795

- optical out

- Lotoo PAW 5000
- Cowon P1
- AK1x0

Please talk me into or out of the dx80, or one of the others.
biggrin.gif

Overall I'm happy with the DX80 for doing basically what you intend to do.

Lotoo has a stone age user interface that I couldn't live with. (larger SD card means more songs, which means more time fiddling with the UI).
Cowon P1 is fantastic, and the UI is the best I've ever experienced, but the price is too high and probably up for a renewal soon.
Incidentally Cowon just announced a Plenue D, which does 100 hours on MP3 and 51 hours on high res FLAC, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have S/PDIF out.
Onkyo DP-X1 is too new so the reviews haven't been concrete. There are still some OS and interface related issues that bugs people so it's up to how quickly Onkyo can resolve them.
If you are using this at home then Android or Windows tablet with an external DAC might be the way to go. However you have to think about how the DAC is powered, because OTG connection won't charge the bus powered DACs well. Microsoft Surface with a full sized USB connection might be the best but that would be very expensive.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,004 of 6,795
I think I will buy the DX80 as the feature set is what I am looking for in a dap and the price is great even in Oz
However after reading all the threads I think IBasso have shot themselves in the foot
Product not being fully finished and the raiders of the lost ark firmware puzzle has cost sales

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,005 of 6,795

- optical out

About optical out, I have been testing optical/coax out to my receiver these days. I have tested 16/44.1 and 24/96 FLAC and WAV fine.  
But when DSD or PCM 24/192 or above playback, optical/coax out was silent and I thought DX80 would not decode any DSD files for optical/coax.
I did google, optical/coax could not pass through DSD or high bit PCM.

So right now, if no setting to select DSD->24/88.2 conversion, optical out for DSD does not make any sense right now because your receiver cannot receive anything, just silence. I am using DX80 only for DSD and hi-res PCM , not 16/44.1 and I cannot find any use for optical out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back