iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 6, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #961 of 6,795
No not in matter of price, but I think it's fairly accepted that the known higher end models like AK (just 1 example) are accepted as being of much higher quality, judging by the very many posts and threads on this site and others that most (not all) dap that are priced above 800 are typical of eclipsing dx(anything) in quality, often times high price is asked due to high quality provided, I see you point, but in comparison... Well... There just isn't other then price....

With that said my pocket can afford a 200$ to 350$ player max, but if I could afford more, I would have long ago skipped this thread

I don't think objectively this is accurate. The DX90 is accepted as an extremely good player when it comes to SQ regardless of price category and the DX100 is apparently even better - although now very old. If the DX80 sounds anything like the DX90 then it is a very well priced unit.

I recently listened to the AK Jr and it was comparable to my DX90. However while at headroom last year I listened to an AK 120 II (I think) and it was thoroughly uninspiring. I had my my DX90 with me and I was going back to the AK to make sure that I was not going crazy. The DX90 with a pair of CE6P had better layering, more detail and more refined bass than the AK.

Higher price buys better exclusivity, but it does not guarantee better or more enjoyable SQ.  

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #962 of 6,795
No not in matter of price, but I think it's fairly accepted that the known higher end models like AK (just 1 example) are accepted as being of much higher quality, judging by the very many posts and threads on this site and others that most (not all) dap that are priced above 800 are typical of eclipsing dx(anything) in quality, often times high price is asked due to high quality provided, I see you point, but in comparison... Well... There just isn't other then price....

With that said my pocket can afford a 200$ to 350$ player max, but if I could afford more, I would have long ago skipped this thread

Buy with your ears not your pocket book would be my advice. We use an oilphobic screen on the DX80, the same size as some much more expensive daps, the same dac chip and the oscillators we commissioned research on that had not been manufactured before. All components were carefully chosen for their sound quality and performance. Price does not always equate to quality.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #963 of 6,795
I really like the quality and price range of the iBasso products. In fact the whole reason I am excited about receiving my DX80 tomorrow. I just feel sorry for my trusty DX50 that will be left alone.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #965 of 6,795
I have same issue. However, I intend to wipe the card and reinstall all music from scratch when I have more time. The micro sd card is not at fault. It's a Sandisk 128gb.

I only got the DX80 today , updated the firmware. It's really amazing. No it's breathtaking sound so I can live with a few bugs at the moment.

I have also paired it with the Chord Mojo. Even more spectacular.

EDIT - I just reconnected DX80 to my mac. Recopied the music across, rescanned and all is ok. I also deleted some of the unneeded files on the memory card as well. Happy Days.

Would you mind letting us know how the Mojo changes the sound?

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #967 of 6,795

That line of thinking will likely lead you to some purchasing disappointments.  I've learned to never purchase audio gear based upon price.  Do your research...then use your ears.  You will be often surprised. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #968 of 6,795
In that case, the SE846 must be considered low end then when compared to the KSE 1500. I think the DX 80 sounds quite good for the price even if there are bugs, and when was $350 range considered low end? If anything, that's mid-fi price. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #971 of 6,795

I don't think the AK's are bad products, but I sort of think that they are testing the waters on brand loyalty to see how far can they can push the customers. It's hard to keep up with all the hype on each launch of AK240, 240SS, 380, 320, in such a short period of time..

The important thing about super expensive products is that they demonstrate what a brand can do with no excuses about the cost being the factor. It's actually really hard to create a desirable product that makes people justify spending that much money with confidence. (you can't just hike up the price on a crappy gear and expect everyone to believe it's worth the price). In that sense, AK has done well in making people go crazy over them, just like Leica cameras etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that the sound quality is superior in every way.

Personally I think a DAP is a gadget that becomes obsolete very quickly (unlike speakers and power amps), so it's best for me to frequently update to a new DAP in the price point that I can afford.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #974 of 6,795
to get the best sound quality out of the dx80 with the se846, should I also add a portable amp? If so which ones should I look into?

I don't think you would need an additional amp. The rationale behind adding a portable amp for driving a sensitive iem, specially when paired with a good DAP like the DX80 is beyond me to be honest. 

On a different note, everytime I turn on my unit there is like a 5 second delay before the touch screen starts to function. Is this normal?

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #975 of 6,795

I don't think you would need an additional amp. The rationale behind adding a portable amp for driving a sensitive iem, specially when paired with a good DAP like the DX80 is beyond me to be honest. 

On a different note, everytime I turn on my unit there is like a 5 second delay before the touch screen starts to function. Is this normal?

You mean that it takes 5 seconds from the time you turn on the DX80 or once the music screen comes up that shows an album to play, it takes 5 more seconds? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back