iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Sep 18, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #5,506 of 6,795
  Update. I will charge the unit, via usb. Used it on a drive in my car maybe 20 mins. Turned it off. I tried to power it back up about a half hour later, and it won't start. So I plug in the usb cable/charger in my car to the unit. It boots up, showing as 80% battery. Seems either there is an amperage problem with the battery or something else is going on? I'm near the point of just calling it a loss and looking to another company for a DAP. Maybe I'll just stick with using it for what I intended it for, as a USB DAC. I'll look into a unit for my car. Can't expect great sonics inside a moving vehicle anyway. I don't believe this is what iBasso intended it for either. Still, this must be embarrassing for them. I hope they get the issue straightened out straight away. I like to use it occassionally as a portable DAP. I'll send it off for the replacement battery but will this issue come up again later?

charge only with the supplied cable, otherwise you risk to damage the battery.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #5,507 of 6,795
Gosod,

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of that and it may have had something to do with this issue. I had figured it would also accept charger I use for my Samsung android. The charger in my car is somewhat generic, so perhaps it could have damaged the battery. I wouldn't charge it for too long in the car. Just can't wait to send it off for a battery replacement. Really trying to get more involved with music again. Sorry for my cynical tone in a prior post. I don't usually give up so easily.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #5,508 of 6,795
I pretty much doubt that a cable other than the included would cause the battery issues. In fact, even the charger should not matter much as the device that is being charged has a controller that only allows for a certain amount of current to be drawn.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #5,509 of 6,795
  Gosod,

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of that and it may have had something to do with this issue. I had figured it would also accept charger I use for my Samsung android. The charger in my car is somewhat generic, so perhaps it could have damaged the battery. I wouldn't charge it for too long in the car. Just can't wait to send it off for a battery replacement. Really trying to get more involved with music again. Sorry for my cynical tone in a prior post. I don't usually give up so easily.

Any normal USB cable will work and a 2 amp or greater adapter. Less current output will work but it takes longer to charge the battery. As HiFiChris mentions there is a controller in the unit so that the battery doesn't over charge and the unit only draws as much current as required to charge the battery. If your battery is not holding a charge you can email me for a RMA.  paul@ibasso.com

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 21, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #5,512 of 6,795
To Paul from iBasso:

Can your company make firmware with snappier working screen (response) in DX80? Using DAP with current FW is an nightmare. Sometimes I feel, like I'm in early 2010 with resistant screen cell phone. Thanks.

PS Changing FW to Lurker's helps, but only a little.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #5,513 of 6,795
Ha
  To Paul from iBasso:

Can your company make firmware with snappier working screen (response) in DX80? Using DAP with current FW is an nightmare. Sometimes I feel, like I'm in early 2010 with resistant screen cell phone. Thanks.

PS Changing FW to Lurker's helps, but only a little.

Have to respectfully disagree.  Screen responsiveness seems fine to me.

DX80 <> iPhone.  Sure.  But considering the interfaces on similar priced players the DX80 seems way ahead.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #5,514 of 6,795
Comparing to latest cell phones, DX80 screen is slow. I must press firmly to swipe Settings or Music menus from both sides. I'm not complaining, music output is great. Just this "steering" problems makes me mad. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #5,515 of 6,795
  Comparing to latest cell phones, DX80 screen is slow. I must press firmly to swipe Settings or Music menus from both sides. I'm not complaining, music output is great. Just this "steering" problems makes me mad. 

Granted, compared to the latest cell phones (which can cost double the DX80 if you're buying the hardware) the DX80 touch screen isn't as good but I find it perfectly usable and completely fit for purpose.

If you throw the physical buttons on the DX80 into the equation I personally don't think the DX80 comes off at all badly versus the competition at its price range.  Is there a better option with the same sound quality in the same price band?

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #5,517 of 6,795
  I agree. But if iBasso team could make this a little better... Look at Lurker's soft for example:
https://github.com/Lurker00/DX80-firmware/releases

To the best of my knowledge Lurker's firmware does NOT change the software.  It merely removes redundant stuff from the underlying operating system.  Whether or not this makes the firmware more responsive I'm dubious but in any case, if you're happier with Lurker's firmware then you have an improvement for free.

I'm moving into areas outside my knowledge but I would guess that there may be a trade-off between touch-responsiveness and battery life.  I would prefer battery-life, personally and am happy-ish with the responsiveness.

Enough!  I don't wish to contradict you, merely to voice an alternate view.  I'll go back to sleep now, I promise.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #5,520 of 6,795
dx80 is alright but the battery is very mediocre which @waxiboy suggests they are cheap quality and i agree. very poor battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back