iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Sep 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #5,522 of 6,795
  Looking at your source inventory you are clearly qualified to recommend.  So what would you recommend in the same price range as the DX80 as being superior to the DX80 and why?

Thanks!

i would recommend the cayin i5 or shanling m3 but they are not superior to the dx80 apart from the immense staging for the i5 and extension for the m3. dx80 is very good. i wanted to sell it bc of the battery life but the sound is musical and good that made me decide to keep it. battery life is easily one of the worst in all daps i have tried or its the worst lol.
cheers!

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5,523 of 6,795
  i would recommend the cayin i5 or shanling m3 but they are not superior to the dx80 apart from the immense staging for the i5 and extension for the m3. dx80 is very good. i wanted to sell it bc of the battery life but the sound is musical and good that made me decide to keep it. battery life is easily one of the worst in all daps i have tried or its the worst lol.
cheers!

Many thanks for this.  I had thought (on paper) that DX80 battery life was one of the best.  Was it as bad from the start?  I have a nasty feeling it may start great with people and then suddenly fall off the cliff.

I have never timed my DX80 battery life but I think it would be nearer 7 hours than the claimed 12-13.  I play FLACs mainly, but typically for short periods so the startup/shutdown would, I suppose, eat battery.

So are you saying the players you recommend are fully on a par for SQ with the DX80 but that the i5 adds "immense staging" and the m3 adds "extension"?  I accept that these things can be subjective but I only have a sample of 1 player!

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #5,524 of 6,795
  Many thanks for this.  I had thought (on paper) that DX80 battery life was one of the best.  Was it as bad from the start?  I have a nasty feeling it may start great with people and then suddenly fall off the cliff.

I have never timed my DX80 battery life but I think it would be nearer 7 hours than the claimed 12-13.  I play FLACs mainly, but typically for short periods so the startup/shutdown would, I suppose, eat battery.

So are you saying the players you recommend are fully on a par for SQ with the DX80 but that the i5 adds "immense staging" and the m3 adds "extension"?  I accept that these things can be subjective but I only have a sample of 1 player!

the battery life if i can sum it up in 1 word, it is horrendous.
comparisons are in reference to the dx80 per se. cheers!

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #5,525 of 6,795
Here's a question.

Regarding battery life, are there factors that weigh into the battery life and how our personal settings are impacting it's life? Does higher screen brightness, high gain and higher bit rate files drain the battery faster than dim screens, low gain and mp3s?

And for the record, battery life on my DX80 has been solid so far.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,526 of 6,795
Here's a question.

Regarding battery life, are there factors that weigh into the battery life and how our personal settings are impacting it's life? Does higher screen brightness, high gain and higher bit rate files drain the battery faster than dim screens, low gain and mp3s?

And for the record, battery life on my DX80 has been solid so far.

minimum brightness, high gain, flac files ( i think noone will buy a dx80 and play mp3 formats
rolleyes.gif
)
they claimed up to 13 hours playback, it is not even close to 5!
my cowon plenue d can play 4 days of flac files.
sound is good but the battery life is just bad.
period.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #5,527 of 6,795

the battery life if i can sum it up in 1 word, it is horrendous.
comparisons are in reference to the dx80 per se. cheers!

I get around 11 hours on FLAC. If you are getting a lot less I would suspect the battery has issues and I would get it replaced. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #5,529 of 6,795
Quite frequently using the DX80 (low gain, FLAC files in folder view, chronological order), I definitely get more than 10 hours and came close to the stated spec when doing a test with my cheap Superlux headphone as load.

Well, the DX80 and Plenue D cannot really be compared in this regard as the one has got a much more powerful amplifier, fully balanced internal structure and a more powerful processor as well. The Plenue D is using less processing power and uses more energy-efficient chips with regular stereo configuration, hence it achieves this battery life.
You could see them as a large cylinder V8 muscle car vs. a highly efficient 3-cylinder hybrid car.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #5,530 of 6,795
  Quite frequently using the DX80 (low gain, FLAC files in folder view, chronological order), I definitely get more than 10 hours and came close to the stated spec when doing a test with my cheap Superlux headphone as load.

Well, the DX80 and Plenue D cannot really be compared in this regard as the one has got a much more powerful amplifier, fully balanced internal structure and a more powerful processor as well. The Plenue D is using less procession power and uses more energy-efficient chips with regular stereo configuration, hence it achieves this battery life.
You could see them as a large cylinder V8 muscle car vs. a highly efficient 3-cylinder hybrid car.

thanks so mine is a faulty unit i guess
blink.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #5,531 of 6,795
Good Day,

My battery life has seriously deteriorated over the last couple of weeks.  Is this a software problem with 1.5.8 or is my battery faulty?  I will listen to a single album (flac-lossless 16/44) and start at 100% by the time the album is over I am at 77%.  The album is approx 70 mins in length.  I just reinstalled 1.5.8 using the factory/batch tool and am still having this problem.  I am on high gain at a volume level of 60 but i do not have headphones plugged in.  I would hate to have to return this but at this rate my battery is only going to last 280 minutes (4.67 hours) which is unacceptable. I purchased this unit on Jan. 20, 2016 via amazon.  The seller was ProStudio Sound and Music.  Prior to contacting Paul to help with the return is there anything else I can try?  Should I drain the battery fully and recharge?  if so does anyone have any specific instructions on how to re-calibrate the battery?

Thank you,

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #5,532 of 6,795
@Hisoundfi

1, More processing will effect battery life. For example playing a DSD file will drain the battery more quickly than a Standard FLAC because the
player has to 'do' a lot more to re produce the audio from the file 

2, Bright screens have always had a more detrimental effect than dim / no screen on just about all electronice devices of a  certain nature 

3, Turning offand on has an effect on battery life. 

I think though that 24/96 FLAC was factored into the 12 hour suggested play time - on a side note . . .
I wonder though if [in theory] WAV would last longer as it doesn't need to be 'unpacked' to play?

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #5,533 of 6,795
Guys! I just realized that the device does not charge when its connected as DAC mode. Or i'm doing something wrong ? My Fiio X3 II did..

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #5,534 of 6,795
1, More processing will effect battery life. For example playing a DSD file will drain the battery more quickly than a Standard FLAC because the
player has to 'do' a lot more to re produce the audio from the file
FYI, with Direct DSD, DX80 use of CPU for DSD playback is not different from WAV playback, because both are uncompressed data, ready to send to DAC.

What drains the battery is SD-card activity. So the longest life is with low quality MP3s or other lossy formats.

BTW I listen mostly hi-res flacs and DSD. The battery lasts 10-11 hours, when it was fresh a year ago, and now, replaced a couple of weeks ago. I hope the new battery (different vendor!) is of better quality.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #5,535 of 6,795
FYI, with Direct DSD, DX80 use of CPU for DSD playback is not different from WAV playback, because both are uncompressed data, ready to send to DAC.

What drains the battery is SD-card activity. So the longest life is with low quality MP3s or other lossy formats.

BTW I listen mostly hi-res flacs and DSD. The battery lasts 10-11 hours, when it was fresh a year ago, and now, replaced a couple of weeks ago. I hope the new battery (different vendor!) is of better quality.

i just had my battery replaced by the service center.

This different vendor, is it an official ibasso vendor? can they simply sell the battery separately? i dont mind installing the battery myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back