iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Jan 12, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #483 of 1,489
  Thanks for reminding me, I should probably note that I *only* use the headphone out which is where I was getting the pops/clicks/skips.

What type of card are you using? After updating to the latest FW please do a factory reset. If this is related to the card we are getting a fix for this. It seems some of the latest fast micro cards are causing a problem for a chip we use and the manufacture is supposed to do an update to fix this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #484 of 1,489
  I had occasionally still gotten clicks and skips on FW 1.2.1, before factory resetting twice and rescanning my cards. FWIW I am using a Sandisk Ultra 64gb card (exfat) and also a Kingston 32gb class 4 card (fat32) and have gapless playback turned on. So far (since last night's resets), no more pops/clicks/skips.

I am still getting the pop / thump between songs on headphone out.  I am going to try a second reset and rescan (Sandisk 200gb card) to see if that improves.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #485 of 1,489

What type of card are you using? After updating to the latest FW please do a factory reset. If this is related to the card we are getting a fix for this. It seems some of the latest fast micro cards are causing a problem for a chip we use and the manufacture is supposed to do an update to fix this.

First let me note that this was just a followup post; I had performed two factory resets last night and since then so far I have had no further pops/clicks/skips. Now have 6+ hrs on the clock after the FW update and resets, so I think the pops/clicks/skips are gone for good.

For the record, the cards I am using are a Sandisk Ultra 64gb (exfat), and a Kingston 32gb class 4 (fat32) which I just purchased for testing the DX80 hoping that maybe a slower card would alleviate these problems. It did not. But, the firmware update did! (after 2 resets :) )

Also as a side note I would like to give a quick thanks to you, Paul @ iBasso - your presence and constant participation have won over at least several customers, I'm sure, including myself. I work in IT tech support and would not have normally bought a product this early in its life cycle if you were not here providing support, updates, and acting as a liason to get your customers' issues addressed. Thanks!!! :D

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #486 of 1,489
  I am still getting the pop / thump between songs on headphone out.  I am going to try a second reset and rescan (Sandisk 200gb card) to see if that improves.

I'm curious how this goes... I definitely still had the pops after the FW update and first factory reset, and second reset did resolve it. So far 6+ hrs playback with no more pops!

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #487 of 1,489
I remind you all that the fastest and safest method to perform the firmware update is via recovery console: press and hold Vol+ while turning the device on. It flashes the firmware and then performs the factory reset and then boots the device, all automatically! So, you turn DX80 once, press Vol-, then press Power to start the process, and in a few seconds you have your DX80 turned on, updated and in the initial state, to start using again.

Starting from firmware 1.1.4, it works flawlessly from my 128GB SanDisk microSD, exFAT formatted, in the 1st slot. If you have two cards, you might need to find out once which one is the right place for update.img.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #488 of 1,489

I'm curious how this goes... I definitely still had the pops after the FW update and first factory reset, and second reset did resolve it. So far 6+ hrs playback with no more pops!

Wait a min, let us do a clarification...

Is this "pop/click/skip" the same issue as the thump-when-skip-track, or actually 2 separate issues?

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #489 of 1,489

Starting from firmware 1.1.4, it works flawlessly from my 128GB SanDisk microSD, exFAT formatted, in the 1st slot. If you have two cards, you might need to find out once which one is the right place for update.img.

Does it matter if the SD card is formatted to FAT32 not exFAT? It seems on PC you cannot format the SD to exFAT.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #490 of 1,489
well my dx80 with ( probably fake ) vgen 8gb micro sd [class 4] from fw 1.1.0 to 1.2.1 still has thump noise when changing track or first playing but not rather annoying it's now seems lowered or something
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #492 of 1,489
Wait a min, let us do a clarification...

Is this "pop/click/skip" the same issue as the thump-when-skip-track, or actually 2 separate issues?

I believe it is two separate issues, or maybe similar root cause but different type of effect... personally I do not have any thump-when-skip-track, but I do have sharp pops or clicks randomly during songs, and also an occasional second of skipping, randomly within a song as well.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #493 of 1,489

I believe it is two separate issues, or maybe similar root cause but different type of effect... personally I do not have any thump-when-skip-track, but I do have sharp pops or clicks randomly during songs, and also an occasional second of skipping, randomly within a song as well.

Yes, two separate issues.  I don't have pops or clicks during songs - only amplifier thump between songs.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #494 of 1,489
1.2.1 Feedback.  I did factory resets after install, etc.:

1.  To my ears, this is the largest difference in sound among the previous firmwares. In short I hear more treble energy and a little less bass.

2.  The unit experiences a 30 second "black screen" delay on startup.  I saw this on the original firmware.  It only does it once my library is scanned (6500 tracks).  Prior to that, it will boot very fast right after a reset.  

3.  The unit will lag album art and track information approximately 8-10 seconds when you advance to next or past tracks using the front panel button.  If the touch screen advance button is used instead the lag does not occur. If you get impatient and hit the button more than once, the lag is extended as it cycles the display through multiple songs.  This does not happen in 1.1.4.

3.  Some album art is not being recognized (maybe 5% of all tracks).  Not sure why this is as all album art is a reasonable sized .jpg embedded within the file.  This occurred on earlier firmware but it took me a while to realize this. 

4.  In All Music view, the improved options which allow tag title or artist sorting are a nice addition.  However, in Title View a large number of tracks present out of order, even though they appear fine (no errors) and are in correct order when used in a DX100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back