iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Nov 19, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #91 of 1,489
  I just got my DX80 this morning. It has FW 1.0.0, and I'm getting errors trying to update since my card is 200GB. I ordered a smaller one so that I can update the firmware, but that won't be here until Saturday.

But I'm seeing an issue where the DX80 loaded only 639 out of 2,115 FLACs on the card. Is this an issue known to be fixed with FW 1.1.2? If not, does anyone have an idea on how to fix this issue, and/or what may be causing it? (Note that all of these FLACs loaded into a DX90 without issue.)

FW 1.1.2 fixes this and you can also use both card slots with 1.1.2. The next FW will also allow for exFat or Fat32 for updates along with other improvement.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 19, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #92 of 1,489
Thanks Paul. At least I have 600 songs to enjoy. :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #94 of 1,489
When it can be? And what about the pops (sound like the amp turns on) when the song is played? They are very annoying. Also what about playing through folders - will it be?

I agree, those pops/thumps etc. when changing songs are extremely annoying. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #95 of 1,489

Yes, I'm on the latest firmware, v1.1.2. and I did the factory reset.

Just to cover all the basses, I just switched out the cards with 2 different micro sd cards, also formatted to FAT 32. These cards came out of my FiiO X5, where they have always worked fine.  I just listened to an entire album (Cheek to Cheek: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga) and, again, the last track stopped about 3 seconds early.  I can go back and replay the track, and then it plays correctly, but it sure is a pain in the neck.

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #96 of 1,489
I have both the DX80 and DX90, I am able to use my Sandisk 64 GB micro usb flash drive to work on the DX90, but I have no success with the DX80, how do I get usb OTG to function on the DX80.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #97 of 1,489
I have both the DX80 and DX90, I am able to use my Sandisk 64 GB micro usb flash drive to work on the DX90, but I have no success with the DX80, how do I get usb OTG to function on the DX80.

I think that is something that will have a fix. Mine doesn't work either, with the DX80. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #98 of 1,489
So I just received my DX80 last night. I immediately upgraded the firmware and did a factory reset. I am currently using se315 iems. When I switch to DAC or charge mode, before plugging in the usb, with it plugged in, or after unplugging it, I get a hum/buzz on the left side (I can cycle the power and it goes away). This only seems to occur in certain areas around my desk. ex. I place the player to the left side of my laptop and it is very noticeable, to the right there is nothing. Anywhere else in the house and this does not occur. It seems like it is picking up some frequency as moving it around will change both the intensity and the pitch. Changing the volume has no effect. I also own a DX90, use it in the same area, and never have this issue. Second, when using the line out it sounds like the player is "skipping." 

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #99 of 1,489
Quote:

We have had lots of owners on the DX80 threads but I haven't heard about lots of popping noises (aside from the power on/off and track change pops), and the song repeating 1-2 seconds.
There might be something wrong with your DX80 so I think you should take it back to the shop and get them to play their usual music files to see if everything is ok.

I have no time yet to take it back to the shop, however I tried the same music files playing from my laptop without any issues. Anyway I already reset it to the factory mode but the problem still persists. I like listening music at the high volume, but I only can play at around 70-80/150 because of the noise hurting my hearing.`

I will manage to bring it back to the shop and update you guys, thanks.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #100 of 1,489

I have noticed this but only a couple times, its sort of like the noise the machine makes when it powers on, a popping clicking noise.

Yeah the timer shuts the machine off even if music is playing, like what? Who didn't catch that before release...

Mine happens with almost every songs I play, not only when changing songs.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #101 of 1,489
I got my 16GB MicroSD and was able to upgrade to 1.1.2, which is much better than 1.0.0.

A few observations/comments/bugs - none of which are deal-breaker but many would be nice to have improved/fixed.
Also, I've found a few things out and fixed them, but I'm leaving the info here in case someone else finds the info useful.

1. Many of my song titles have " 1" added to the end. As an example, Pink Floyd's "Money" is listed as "06 Money 1"

OK, plugged the DX80 into my PC and found that the files actually have a "1" in the filename. That is, Money is "06 Money 1.flac". I really don't think this was caused by me or the program that I used to copy the files. For one thing, not all the files in a few test directories have the 1 in the filename. I *think* this may have been caused by FW 1.0.0 and/or rescanning the card. Note that when I had FW 1.0.0 loaded, only 1/3 of my songs where showing up in the DX80.

But I honestly don't know for sure what caused this. And if it's related to FW 1.0.0 then I'll be hard-pressed to recreate it, since it's a lot of work to fix the titles and revert to 1.0.0 to see what happens.

2. When in All Music, the song titles are sorted by the track number. I have a feeling this is because of the file name. For instance, Money is stored as "\Music\FLAC\Pink Floyd\Dark Side of the Moon\06 Money.flac". But if this were the case, then this would imply that the DX80 is not reading tags, and I don't think that's the case.

OK, that is the case. See above - some filenames have gotten a " 1" appended for some reason yet unknown.

This seems to be two bugs. The DX80 should be reading the tags to determine the song title, not the filename. IMHO, the DX80 should be sorting by the song title when in All Music or Artist views. It should sort by Track Number when in an Album view.

3. Albums, artists and song titles are sorted by the exact name. Now this is OK, is is a nice feature when the software recognizes certain articles and sorts ignoring the article, so that "The Moody Blues" gets sorted as "Moody Blues, The". It would be nice to have the option to ignore articles when sorting. That's just a wish.

4. The slide bar added to All Music is an awesome improvement. I'd love to see this added to Artists and Albums.

5. How the heck does one create and import a playlist??? I created one in a program on a PC and copied the .m3u to a directory on a card. On the DX80 I went to My Music... Directory and browsed to the file and clicked on it. I could then see it listed under Playlists, but it was empty.

OK, I figured it out. I created a playlist on the DX80, exported it, and opened the file on my PC. The software on my PC used the path:
..\music\FLAC\Steely Dan\Aja\07 Josie.flac
Whereas the DX80 used the path:
/mnt/firstsd/Music/FLAC/Steely Dan/Aja/07 Josie.flac

So I used a text editor to fix the paths, and was able to import it into the DX80.

6. The font used for the titles of the playlists is too small! (That's a bug, IMHO.)
I'd like to see playlists displayed similar to the way that Albums are displayed. With the playlist icon on the left and the title on the right in a large font. (That's a feature request.)

7. I get a lot of hiss when I insert my earbuds and then turn the DX80 on. It fades in and out as I move the player... Or the cable... Or my arm. OK, this is weird. If I grasp the earbud cables with both hands place a few inches apart, the hissing stops. If I do the same kinda thing, just pinching the cable between two fingers on each hand, the hissing continues. (I'm using 32-ohm Grado GR10e earbuds, if that matters.)

But once I start playing a song, even before the song starts, the hissing goes away. If I pause, I get no hissing.

Weird.

8. I occasionally get screen freezes for the first minute(s)  after turning the DX80 on. I can't swipe left or right, but I can swipe down to get that menu. Eventually, the left- or right-swiping returns. Maybe after a minute, maybe after 3 minutes - but I haven't timed it so those values are suspect.

9. Does the DX80 use ReplayGain info?

10a. Is there any hope to see song ratings displayed?
10b. Is there any hope that one could rate a song on the DX80?

I certainly don't mean to sound like a whiner, but years in QA made me think and speak like above. And none of those are deal-breakers. I'm not about to return this unit since it sounds too good.

I have to say that 1.1.2 is a huge improvement over 1.0.0.

Overall, I like the DX80 quite a bit. The sound is great, the price point is fantastic, the unit has great aesthetics and build quality, the screen is great and very responsive, and the UI is pretty good (a lot better than I expected, honestly, with the caveat that I am a UI snob).

OK, it's time to listen to some tunes...

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #102 of 1,489
  I got my 16GB MicroSD and was able to upgrade to 1.1.2, which is much better than 1.0.0.

A few observations/comments/bugs - none of which are deal-breaker but many would be nice to have improved/fixed.
Also, I've found a few things out and fixed them, but I'm leaving the info here in case someone else finds the info useful.

1. Many of my song titles have " 1" added to the end. As an example, Pink Floyd's "Money" is listed as "06 Money 1"

OK, plugged the DX80 into my PC and found that the files actually have a "1" in the filename. That is, Money is "06 Money 1.flac". I really don't think this was caused by me or the program that I used to copy the files. For one thing, not all the files in a few test directories have the 1 in the filename. I *think* this may have been caused by FW 1.0.0 and/or rescanning the card. Note that when I had FW 1.0.0 loaded, only 1/3 of my songs where showing up in the DX80.

But I honestly don't know for sure what caused this. And if it's related to FW 1.0.0 then I'll be hard-pressed to recreate it, since it's a lot of work to fix the titles and revert to 1.0.0 to see what happens.

2. When in All Music, the song titles are sorted by the track number. I have a feeling this is because of the file name. For instance, Money is stored as "\Music\FLAC\Pink Floyd\Dark Side of the Moon\06 Money.flac". But if this were the case, then this would imply that the DX80 is not reading tags, and I don't think that's the case.

OK, that is the case. See above - some filenames have gotten a " 1" appended for some reason yet unknown.

This seems to be two bugs. The DX80 should be reading the tags to determine the song title, not the filename. IMHO, the DX80 should be sorting by the song title when in All Music or Artist views. It should sort by Track Number when in an Album view.

3. Albums, artists and song titles are sorted by the exact name. Now this is OK, is is a nice feature when the software recognizes certain articles and sorts ignoring the article, so that "The Moody Blues" gets sorted as "Moody Blues, The". It would be nice to have the option to ignore articles when sorting. That's just a wish.

4. The slide bar added to All Music is an awesome improvement. I'd love to see this added to Artists and Albums.

5. How the heck does one create and import a playlist??? I created one in a program on a PC and copied the .m3u to a directory on a card. On the DX80 I went to My Music... Directory and browsed to the file and clicked on it. I could then see it listed under Playlists, but it was empty.

OK, I figured it out. I created a playlist on the DX80, exported it, and opened the file on my PC. The software on my PC used the path:
..\music\FLAC\Steely Dan\Aja\07 Josie.flac
Whereas the DX80 used the path:
/mnt/firstsd/Music/FLAC/Steely Dan/Aja/07 Josie.flac

So I used a text editor to fix the paths, and was able to import it into the DX80.

6. The font used for the titles of the playlists is too small! (That's a bug, IMHO.)
I'd like to see playlists displayed similar to the way that Albums are displayed. With the playlist icon on the left and the title on the right in a large font. (That's a feature request.)

7. I get a lot of hiss when I insert my earbuds and then turn the DX80 on. It fades in and out as I move the player... Or the cable... Or my arm. OK, this is weird. If I grasp the earbud cables with both hands place a few inches apart, the hissing stops. If I do the same kinda thing, just pinching the cable between two fingers on each hand, the hissing continues. (I'm using 32-ohm Grado GR10e earbuds, if that matters.)

But once I start playing a song, even before the song starts, the hissing goes away. If I pause, I get no hissing.

Weird.

8. I occasionally get screen freezes for the first minute(s)  after turning the DX80 on. I can't swipe left or right, but I can swipe down to get that menu. Eventually, the left- or right-swiping returns. Maybe after a minute, maybe after 3 minutes - but I haven't timed it so those values are suspect.

9. Does the DX80 use ReplayGain info?

10a. Is there any hope to see song ratings displayed?
10b. Is there any hope that one could rate a song on the DX80?

I certainly don't mean to sound like a whiner, but years in QA made me think and speak like above. And none of those are deal-breakers. I'm not about to return this unit since it sounds too good.

I have to say that 1.1.2 is a huge improvement over 1.0.0.

Overall, I like the DX80 quite a bit. The sound is great, the price point is fantastic, the unit has great aesthetics and build quality, the screen is great and very responsive, and the UI is pretty good (a lot better than I expected, honestly, with the caveat that I am a UI snob).

OK, it's time to listen to some tunes...

If you have more than one version of a song that is the same track number, adding a "1" to the end of the file name allows multiple files with the same name.

Thank you for saving me the time of typing pretty much that.  Reading and sorting by Meta Tags rather than file name is of uber importance.  If I am looking for a song, it would be helpful if you could scroll alphabetically rather then needing to know the file name.

Also, when in random play, pressing back button should go back to beginning of of track playing, not another random track.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #103 of 1,489

Did you do a factory reset? Sometimes it helps if there are problems. I do it out of habit and it only takes 1 minute or less after an update. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #104 of 1,489
In the middle of the song, there was this sudden pause with an accompanying pop then the song was suddenly playing very fast the the singer's voice sounded like a chipmunk. I have been using the DX80 for 2 weeks now, and this is the first time this has happened.

Also, I have a couple of albums which has an imbedded album art, yet it does not show up in my DX80.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix these? :) 

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #105 of 1,489
  In the middle of the song, there was this sudden pause with an accompanying pop then the song was suddenly playing very fast the the singer's voice sounded like a chipmunk. I have been using the DX80 for 2 weeks now, and this is the first time this has happened.

Also, I have a couple of albums which has an imbedded album art, yet it does not show up in my DX80.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix these? :) 

I would download the FW and  reload it, do a factory reset and then scan the card again. I had one card I had to scan twice, the second time it didn't take very long but it picked up a couple of albums of which the artwork did not show up the first time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back