iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Jan 14, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #526 of 1,489
It's just me or fw 1.2.1 a bit lag / slower than previous fw?

1.2.1 appears to be much slower than 1.1.4. Longer startup time, sluggish response to next/prev. The biggest slowdown is card scanning - 1.1.4 would scan 128GB Sandisk in 10-13 mins; 1.2.1 is taking twice as much 23-26 mins for a single card, so with 2 128GB cards after the update or reset i have to wait almost an hour ....

Try re-installing the FW (with factory resets before & after).  Seems to improve the lag for me.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #527 of 1,489
We are checking the lag and the scanning time.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #528 of 1,489
Spent more time comparing 1.1.4 & 1.2.1. Found more noticeable hiss on 1.1.4 than 1.2.1. (Using SE846). Should hissing be related to hardware rather than software?

I don't recall having that level of hiss when first updated to 1.1.4 back then. Really puzzled.

Paul, is it possible that future FW can help reduce (or eliminate) hiss with sensitive IEM like SE846 ?

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #530 of 1,489
PchelaRS asked me to publish here his video to show the bug with the LO volume level after USB modes switch:

My comments:
  1. The volume drops to the PO level.
  2. As a workaround, to restore LO volume level, device restart is not required. It is enough to unplug LO and plug it in back again.
  3. In my experiment, I switched USB modes not from the Settings menu, but from the drop down menu of the playback screen. It works a different way, but still - wrong way (playback stops, then restarts from the beginning of the track).

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #531 of 1,489
On a point of protocol, should questions / comments about the relative sound qualities of the various firmware releases for the DX80 be posted on this thread or as a new thread?

(Carrying on regardless... but if I'm wrong posting here I'm sorry and please redirect me, thanks.)

I would like to understand from Paul iBasso whether the apparent changes in sound quality in the various firmware releases are intentional and what the future thinking on this is.  From the 1.2.0 issue I'm wondering whether the changes in sound style/quality are actually intentional or accidental.  If the latter, can anything be done?

I also wonder whether there is actually any consensus within the user community over the relative sound qualities from each release.  Because where I sit I am now very wary about moving from 1.1.4 which is quite lovely to my ears.

FWIW, my sound quality comments are:

1. 1.1.2 - before my time.  I updated to 1.1.4 out of the box.
  2. 1.1.4 - beautiful, very 'musical', excellent presence / soundstage.  The UI is less than later firmware but at the end of the day it's really all about sound quality, otherwise I might as well get an iPod.
  3. 1.2.0 - awful, forget it and withdrawn from iBasso site anyway
  4. 1.2.1 - tried it, found it less 'musical' / smooth versus 1.1.4 and reverted.  From other threads it seems some people prefer 1.2.1 and others are like me and prefer 1.1.4.

I'm listening on headphones from DX80 headphone socket on Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, if that's relevant.

I guess no one is forcing anyone to upgrade firmwares but I would have thought it should be possible to issue ui fixes / enhancements (which are most welcome) without changing the fundamental character of the sound.  Or maybe it would be possible to be offered permutations?  Like please can I have the 1.2.1 UI with the 1.1.4 sound quality... OK, probably being fanciful there I suppose....

Pete

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #532 of 1,489
FWIW, my sound quality comments are:

I, in no way, deny the sound difference between firmware versions! In some cases I do hear the difference, and that's the reason I started to play around firmwares for DX90.

Nevertheless, please consider the following facts as well:
  1. In both DX50 and DX90 threads there was a long discussion which Digital Filter setting is better, when it was either not implemented in the firmware (i.e. did nothing really), or implemented a wrong way (the change worked only for the first track).
  2. DOC2008 published more than 100 firmwares for DX50 in a Russian forum, claiming they all have different sound. But once he, by a mistake, published exactly the same binary file like the previous time, with a description of changes in the sound. Nevertheless, nobody who tried it complained that it is the same as before!

The truth is: when a person commands his/her mind to find a difference, the mind definitely finds the difference. It is very hard to tell if there is a real difference, or only "found" one.

And yes - there is a difference between 1.1.4 and 1.2.0, and  between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1!
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #533 of 1,489
  1. In both DX50 and DX90 threads there was a long discussion which Digital Filter setting is better, when it was either not implemented in the firmware (i.e. did nothing really), or implemented a wrong way (the change worked only for the first track).
  2. DOC2008 published more than 100 firmwares for DX50 in a Russian forum, claiming they all have different sound. But once he, by a mistake, published exactly the same binary file like the previous time, with a description of changes in the sound. Nevertheless, nobody who tried it complained that it is the same as before!

The truth is: when a person commands his/her mind to find a difference, the mind definitely finds the difference. It is very hard to tell if there is a real difference, or only "found" one.

Well said @Lurker0, well said. +1

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #534 of 1,489

Well said @Lurker0, well said. +1

I, in no way, deny the sound difference between firmware versions! In some cases I do hear the difference, and that's the reason I started to play around firmwares for DX90.

And yes - there is a difference between 1.1.4 and 1.2.0, and  between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your comments.  Though in one respect I would respectfully disagree.  I did not "command" my mind to find a difference.  I had absolutely no expectation at all that the sound quality would change.  The "What's New?" only stated UI enhancements.  So it completely just happened.  From 1.1.4 to 1.2.1 = "Hmmm.. it's worse".  On reversion = "Hmmm.. it's better".

I have no doubt that some people will have felt the complete opposite about 1.1.4 vs. 1.2.1.  I posted because I was interested in understanding, especially from Paul at iBasso, what the actual strategy about sound quality and firmware updates is for the DX80.

In the meantime I will continue enjoying 1.1.4!

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #535 of 1,489
Which Firmware is different / better ?

As with any change in a part of ones signal flow there will always be an effect BUT

You have to remember there are many causes and conditions that come together at the moment of your listening
That will have a subtle or a direct effect on what one 'hears'  ! :

> The characteristic of your headphones eg: Big bassy cans versus light armature In Ear Monitors
> Quality of your recordings - 128 mp3 versus 24/192 Hi-Res Digital - Newer compressed CD versus vinyl tape recorded/mastered 1970's music!
> On a bus going to work or sitting at home quitely enjoying your music
> Quality of hearing - 18 year old rock musician versus 50 year old mastering engineer
> Good mood or bad mood!
> Concentration - the ability to listen well

1, As for FW 1.2.1 - I have been listening a lot recently with Closed Back Planer Magnet Headphones - My preference is for a bright detailed sound -
my planers are a warm, well balanced sound >
So for ME this firmware is a lot 'better' than previous ones because :

a, I already have plenty of bass >produced as a characteristic of these headphones<  So the lack of bass with this FW doesn't effect me

b, As these headphones are 'warm' the extra sparkle and bright presentation of FW 1.2.1 in comparisson to previous FW's adds a lot 'more' to my listening experience

> However, If i had been recently listening a lot with Armature IEM's (in general a balanced light sound) I think I would have prefered the sound of the FW 1.4 because FW 1.2.1 is brighter with less bass than FW 1.2

There is a lot of experienced 'listeners here' - A consensus is usually reached in regards to general differences in FW sound signatures
but whether one FW is better than another one is entirely dependant upon the person listening to it and their own personal set up / circumstances!

. . . Anyway, all I actually wanted to say was . . . It Depends !

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #536 of 1,489
Though in one respect I would respectfully disagree. I did not "command" my mind to find a difference.
How do you know for sure? Did you totally miss that discussion of 1.2.0 sound signature? Can you swear you never even heard that firmware may affect sound signature at the time you were flashing 1.2.1? :wink:

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #537 of 1,489
How do you know for sure? Did you totally miss that discussion of 1.2.0 sound signature? Can you swear you never even heard that firmware may affect sound signature at the time you were flashing 1.2.1?
wink.gif

No, you're right, I can't.  But I can be honest with myself.  I really can!  And I know that I went with the impression I got from listening and not from the discussion of 1.2.0 or 1.2.1 sound signature.

Indeed, when I went to 1.2.1 this time the early comments in this forum were 100% positive.  Therefore I actually expected, if anything, to hear an improvement.  But I immediately heard what, for me, was lower quality.

So I do accept that it's subjective.  I don't accept that I have been influenced by anything other than what I myself heard from the different firmwares.

None of us have statistically significant data to assert that a significant majority of users prefer one firmware or the other.  I know I'm not the only one who feels 1.2.1 is not as nice as 1.1.4.  I'm just surprised that the sound appears to be being messed about with in a somewhat unpredictable way by iBasso.  Clearly the hardware is top quality for the price.  The software seems a bit hit and miss rather than a consistent trajectory towards perfection.  (My perception, of course.  You will disagree if you feel 1.2.1 is the best sound yet.)

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #538 of 1,489

How do you know for sure? Did you totally miss that discussion of 1.2.0 sound signature? Can you swear you never even heard that firmware may affect sound signature at the time you were flashing 1.2.1?
wink.gif

No, you're right, I can't.  But I can be honest with myself.  I really can!  And I know that I went with the impression I got from listening and not from the discussion of 1.2.0 or 1.2.1 sound signature.
 I'm just surprised that the sound appears to be being messed about with in a somewhat unpredictable way by iBasso.  Clearly the hardware is top quality for the price.  
The software seems a bit hit and miss rather than a consistent trajectory towards perfection.  (My perception, of course.  You will disagree if you feel 1.2.1 is the best sound yet.)

iBasso has said a number of times that they do not touch the sound signature of their players BUT due to making changes in the softwares, changes DO happen - Others here im sure will remember the details of posts touching on this from before, on both the DX80 and the DX90 forums.

Respectfully, Unless you have studied extensively 'Lorig' its just not possible that one would even remotely understand the nature and function of the mind ! :)
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Understanding_the_Mind.html?id=K1wjdu7FFZkC
(I mean this with the deepest respect and not from the bias of having studied it extensively. Please don't take offense! - I may be wrong, your'e probably a greater scholar than I am!)  :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #540 of 1,489
Getting a bit sound sciencey in here...

Good point!

Here is a bug . . . maybe :)

When I was performing the  're-scanning 2x128gb cards'  I knocked the player and it started playing - Im just wondering whether this might be
a bit of a battery drain or if its even a bug or problem ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back