iBasso DX50 MODS
Dec 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #76 of 378
  In chinese forums they used
LMH6642MA;ADA4841-2YRZ

I was tempted to try the LMH6642 for the HO amplifiers, but these amp are very noisy (specifications), and I have some fear of degrading the SNR for my sensitive IEMS
So I choose the ADA4897 (equivalent specs but ultra low noise) and I didn't regret my decision

Changing these amps is a pain (you have to remove the PCB), its better to go to the best one at first...

The ADA4841 is probably a very good choice for the differential amplifier, but I personally prefer to use a high frequency device right after the DAC, so I use a ADA4896
But the ADA4841 (SOIC-8) will be much easier to solder than the ADA4896 (MSOP-8), so I can recommend it

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #78 of 378

I was tempted to try the LMH6642 for the HO amplifiers, but these amp are very noisy (specifications), and I have some fear of degrading the SNR for my sensitive IEMS
So I choose the ADA4897 (equivalent specs but ultra low noise) and I didn't regret my decision

Changing these amps is a pain (you have to remove the PCB), its better to go to the best one at first...

The ADA4841 is probably a very good choice for the differential amplifier, but I personally prefer to use a high frequency device right after the DAC, so I use a ADA4896
But the ADA4841 (SOIC-8) will be much easier to solder than the ADA4896 (MSOP-8), so I can recommend it

After removing the AMP is it possible to fit an adapter? SO swapping amps can be easy?

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #80 of 378
I don't think that would be possible, the amplifier in your picture is a through hole style while the ones used in the DX50 are surface mount style. Also the chassis has very little size tolerance so even if there was a mount you could use to swap out the amps I don't think you will be able to close the chassis.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #81 of 378
But if You have skill and idea, You could do Your own "socket" 
wink.gif
 I have idea but no tools and probably little lack of skill to do it.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #82 of 378
  I don't think that would be possible, the amplifier in your picture is a through hole style while the ones used in the DX50 are surface mount style. Also the chassis has very little size tolerance so even if there was a mount you could use to swap out the amps I don't think you will be able to close the chassis.

Surface mount can also be used.
Check this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/490203/ibasso-d10-impression-aka-opamp-rolling-journal

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #85 of 378
Update.

Panasonic FC have now been burnin about 24h. I made simple 3x stereo 3.5mm socket + ON-ON tumbler A/B switching to compare with my Aune T1.
For A/B comparing I used exactly same OFC cable from source to switch point. I compared with both - Fidelio X1 and Piston V2.1. 

Aune T1 setup: Siemens E88CC grey shield goldpin tube from 60`s + ELNA SilmicII capacitors (only primary power supply caps are Panasonic FR due to tech/spec reasons).
DX50 setup: Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 @ FLAC / irr off / CPU default + Panasonic FC capacitors for HO.
Source files: FLAC 16/44 

Test songs:
  1. 1. Dead Letter Circus - Here We Divide (5:07)
    2. The Mars Volta - Meccamputechture (11:02)
    3. Crosses - Bitches Brew (3:30)
    4. Dead Letter Circus - One Step (3:28)
    5. The Mars Volta - Cavalettas (9:32)
    6. Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Elderly Pair Beaten With Hammer (2:03)
    7. Tesseract - Of Reality - Calabi-Yau (2:00)
    8. Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Warren Oates (4:55)
    9. ANTEMASQUE - Providence (4:47)
    10. The Mars Volta - Conjugal Burns (6:39)

Result: I basically can`t make difference!
blink.gif
And for me this is awesome! You`d have to be total anal-audio freak to make difference. There might be some tiny tiny micro-differences but when I do blind test without knowing in which position switch is - I can`t make difference! 

Of course LO is littlebit different story and I haven`t changed caps in there yet.

And there`s still debate going on in my head/ears which I like more - Panasonic FC or VishayBC 038 RSU. Latter one seems to have littlebit better mids, which I really like.

Only question for me now is - can it get even better with any other capacitors I`m going to test soon? 
Actually it raises another question for me - what IEM(s) should I take a look into to match Fidelio X1 soundstage, separation etc. What would be step-up from Piston 2.1?
Ohhh no... IEM "madness" begins...

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #87 of 378

Ok, this is final list of caps I`m going to test:

* Nichicon FG 100uF 10V (going to change LO caps and maybe test them on HO also)
* Nichicon FW 220uF 10V 
* Nichicon KW 220uF 10V 
* Panasonic FM 220uF 10V
* Panasonic FC 220uF 10V 
* Panasonic FR 220uF 10V
* VISHAY BC 220uF 10V
* Panasonic AM 330uF 10V
* Nichicon FW 100uF 10V
* Nichicon KA 220uF 10V
* Nichicon KA 100uF 6.3V
* Nichicon KA 100uF 16V (size fits)
* Nichicon SW 220uF 6.3V

Got Nichicon KA and FW series today. By initial impressions KA isn`t better than Vishay, FC or FW. Of course no final conclusion yet, they need burn-in. Also KW and FG haven`t arrived yet. I think Panasonic FC and Nichicon FW will be very close contenders. 

2) Nichicon FW 220uF 10V (#UFW1A221MED1TD)
 PRO: easy sounding, open soundstage, good balance between the bass, mids and treble
 CON: can lack precision and dynamic, some haze over the sound

@babs , what did You mean by "some haze over sound"? I find no "haze" over the sound. Everything sounds clear. Neither do I find FW to lack in dynamics. Open large soundstage, great separation/transparency and good balance between low/mid/high. Maybe it`s due to FW difference (what did You use during testing?) or gear difference.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #88 of 378
  Got Nichicon KA and FW series today. By initial impressions KA isn`t better than Vishay, FC or FW. Of course no final conclusion yet, they need burn-in. Also KW and FG haven`t arrived yet. I think Panasonic FC and Nichicon FW will be very close contenders. 

@babs , what did You mean by "some haze over sound"? I find no "haze" over the sound. Everything sounds clear. Neither do I find FW to lack in dynamics. Open large soundstage, great separation/transparency and good balance between low/mid/high. Maybe it`s due to FW difference (what did You use during testing?) or gear difference.

All comparisons are relatives...
I found Nichicon FW to have some haze relative to Nichicon FG and mainly Kemet Oxicaps
But in comparison to the others caps, the FW are very good
I use A Senneiser HD650 for my tests, some people found HD650 to be veiled, but I don't think so...

And When I made my tests, the SU 1.3.3 was not there...

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #89 of 378
Ok, then it makes sense.
I`m actually starting to find littlebit lack in dynamics in FW highs region. With some few records I`ve found highs somewhat too "monotone". But this doesn`t matter atm, just observing while listening, They are very good but too fresh and need more burning. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #90 of 378
babs, I need some help and seeing that you are modding the DX50, I think you can aid me.
My Hold button seems to have stopped working and the hold button now just slides up and down frictionlessly. there used to be a white connector there which I believe is now missing. Is there a way to fix this? I emailed Ibasso and they told me no, and I had to send it in for service..>.> 
Any suggestions, please?
Thank you, your advice is much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back