iBasso DX50 MODS
Jan 14, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #106 of 378
ok,I have ordered the 15mm ones...so I cant use them.the good news is that I've payed 3 euro for 5 of them.I also got the avx oxicap,that babs kept instead of the jovials,but they are more expensive,like 5 euro for one.I also have no clue how to determine the + and -,but I think I'll discover it when I'll have them in front of my eyes!also got the ADA4897-1 and ADA4897-2.I used the dx50 a lot lately,and I enjoy the sound more now than before,but still want more kick/punch/bass.Also,I'm trying to get all my music in flac format,it seems that it sounds way better,and there's more punch/bass with flac files!

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #108 of 378
the ones with smaller height,are rated for only 1000 hours of life.is this ok?the 15mm ones are rated for 4000!also,can someone tell me which caps are for left channel and which for right channel in HO please?

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #109 of 378
ok,so I've started to replace the caps,and I manged to put those big caps inside.it's not the best soldering....but I did it!
15mm caps.I have to place them different from the original Jovial,and put some wires for one of them.the good thing is that any cap with 15mm long will go inside,so you don't really need only 11mm ones,but the bigger ones are harder to solder!

Can't tell you so much about the sound.it seems a little bit better,some tracks sound kind of weird,but I think I'll have to let the player play some tracks for 24 hours and after that,test it again,is that right?I would really like to put some wires so I can test,them,but I don't understand what is that rig that COIL and BABS used!I have no idea how to search/buy/look for one!please help
I actually bought the avx oxicaps that babs chose for him,but I'll get them in 2-3 weeks,so I wanted to test the panasonic caps!

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #110 of 378
How on earth have you managed to put the ADA4896-2ARMZ instead of the stock diferential amplifier????It seems so small,and I really don't think It's possible to solder it.I hope ADA4897-1ARZ,are easier to solder.they are bigger,but I did not remove the pcb from the player! you can see it in top of the differential amplifier!!

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #111 of 378
  ok,so I've started to replace the caps,and I manged to put those big caps inside.it's not the best soldering....but I did it!
15mm caps.I have to place them different from the original Jovial,and put some wires for one of them.the good thing is that any cap with 15mm long will go inside,so you don't really need only 11mm ones,but the bigger ones are harder to solder!

Did You test if enclosure will fit nicely back on or You just soldered them seeing room on PCB?
I really don`t bother to order longer ones. Shorter FC`s will do fine for me. I can always open up DX50 again and change them
wink.gif

Can't tell you so much about the sound.it seems a little bit better,some tracks sound kind of weird,but I think I'll have to let the player play some tracks for 24 hours and after that,test it again,is that right?

Don`t know if Your longer FC`s sound same but they have slightly different specs which may affect sound. 
1) Shorter ones, EEUFC1A221S - ripple current 290mA, impedance 0.350 Ohm.
2) Longer ones, EEUFC1A221 - ripple current 400mA, impedance 0.250Ohm.
Technically those longer ones should be better but in real life it may sound different and not certainly better.
  the ones with smaller height,are rated for only 1000 hours of life.is this ok?the 15mm ones are rated for 4000!also,can someone tell me which caps are for left channel and which for right channel in HO please?

You are wrong, they both have rated lifetime of 1000h. Stock Jovial caps have also 1000h... if it matters something for You.
Datasheet: https://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000CE22.pdf

Caps need some time to burn-in... imo at least 48h to get an idea how they sound.
And I warned You that FC sound signature might not fit for Your taste. But if You think FC sounds weird, then Your reference point must be really off. No wonder You thought smartphone sounds better than DX50 
rolleyes.gif

I don't understand what is that rig that COIL and BABS used!

It`s a simple cheap single-line test breadboard.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #112 of 378
forgot to tell,I have closed my dx50,so there is room,you can put the screws back on.I have tested before soldering,just to see if it fits!I like how the voice sounds,the bass seems there,but there's room for more.when I said some tracks sound weird...this is right away test after soldering.some notes,riffs seems weird indeed (I remeber them beinng/sound different,and when I tell this,I don't think of my phone.I am listening for years for the same tracks,so I really know them),but I still need time!this is just a test,as I opted for the avx oxicap,but wanted to test something else to! ok,so you think that nichicon fine gold will be better than panasonic fc,for me,as I want more bass and kick?I'll have to check if the 220uf is the same dimensions.I have to try and make that rig for testing...compare jovials with panasonic,nichion and avx oxicaps,but I need something that changes quick,as it's hard to solder half an hour,and then comapare.I have to see how babs did it,with only 4 wires,and then connected to rigs

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #113 of 378
Read babs and my posts more carefully... FG is only 100uF available at that size. FG sounds very similar to FC, just tinybit less air/openness and tinybit more foward soundstage/imaging. For Your taste I think Vishay BC 038 RSU fits best (littlebit sweeter mids and good bass/kick). All those three have quite same sound signature and differences are not big. FW is also very similar to FC but FW lack littlebit dynamics in highs region.

I am listening for years for the same tracks,so I really know them

And that`s the thing. Your brain/ears are used to that sound. Now, with DX50 You are hearing different sound and You need time to adjust to it.
That is usually called "brain burn-in".

BTW, I forgot, what firmware and which settings are You using for testing caps? 
I am using Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 @ FLAC-only / IIR off / CPU default / DF slow roll-off with 16/44 FLACs.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #114 of 378
Just finished installing HO and LO caps back onto PCB:

Leaving LO caps burning in for tomorrow and will do A/B comparing with my Aune T1 setup. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #115 of 378
Read babs and my posts more carefully... FG is only 100uF available at that size. FG sounds very similar to FC, just tinybit less air/openness and tinybit more foward soundstage/imaging. For Your taste I think Vishay BC 038 RSU fits best (littlebit sweeter mids and good bass/kick). All those three have quite same sound signature and differences are not big. FW is also very similar to FC but FW lack littlebit dynamics in highs region.

And that`s the thing. Your brain/ears are used to that sound. Now, with DX50 You are hearing different sound and You need time to adjust to it.
That is usually called "brain burn-in".

BTW, I forgot, what firmware and which settings are You using for testing caps?

Did You test if enclosure will fit nicely back on or You just soldered them seeing room on PCB?
I really don`t bother to order longer ones. Shorter FC`s will do fine for me. I can always open up DX50 again and change them:wink:
Don`t know if Your longer FC`s sound same but they have slightly different specs which may affect sound. 
1) Shorter ones, EEUFC1A221S - ripple current 290mA, impedance 0.350 Ohm.
2) Longer ones, EEUFC1A221 - ripple current 400mA, impedance 0.250ohm

What about jovials ripple curent?

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #116 of 378
Su1.4 mp3 irr on default cpu and flac irr off default.I really like how mp3 sounds with this caps,also like how the voice is more forwarded,next to me!I was reffering to that I know how they sound comparing with my yamaha a730 and jbl es series speackers.they need  burn in,but they really sound better than jovials.can't wait to put the avx oxicaps and see what babs was so impreseed about! :)

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #117 of 378

What about jovials ripple curent?

No information in datasheet (UTSJ): http://www.toshinkk.co.jp/en/product/alumi.html 
Maybe You can find it somewhere internet but I really don`t care about those stock Jovials... they pretty much suck soundwise imho, at least in case of DX50.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #118 of 378
Seeing that I've managed to put 15mm caps inside,I'm wondering if Panasonic FC  470uf 10v (ripple current 555mA) or Vishay BC 470uf 10v (ripple current 350mA) would sound better!also Vishay bc 330uf 10v (ripple current 290 mA) has only 6.3 with 11.5 mm.Would higer uf makes a better sound?also,a 220uf + a 330uf (or 470uf) combination per channel,would be better?there are so much combinations that I'm thinking right now,and those avx oxicaps,are not here yet,so another one to test!I have to try and make that rig,but did not understood how babs solder it,with only 4 wires from inside,can you please explain more in detail,maybe some pictures?I don't want to ruin the dx50,but I also want something that changes quick,from one combination to another!
But still,after only 4 hours of burn in,the Panasonic FC,just sounds better to me than than Jovials.listening to Marilyn Manson,songs from different albums,and it just sound way better now.I really did not liked how Manson sounded with Jovials.there is more punch also with this caps,and I don't think it's only in my head!

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #119 of 378
Panasonic FC 470uF 10V is 8 x 11.5 (too thick) --- https://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000CE22.pdf
Vishay BC 470uF 10V is 6.3 x 11 (it can be fitted) --- http://www.vishay.com/docs/28309/038rsu.pdf

Don`t start  to "invent bicycle". Larger uF doesn`t certainly make things better. For example I tested Vishay BC 038 RSU 330uF 10V vs. 220uF 10V and I found 220uF better.
Also 330uF Panasonic AM didn`t sound so good. Maybe they needed more time for burning in but hearing other caps better, didn`t spend any more time on them.
Same goes for ripple current. For example with Aune T1 SilmicII`s sounded best though they don`t have best ripple current. Imo (my practical test results so far) larger ripple current and low-ESR are more important and effective in input level filtering.
But this is only my subjective testing result. 

About mixing caps, no idea, didn`t try and I didn`t bother to mess with it. I have no technical knowledge how different spec caps will affect outcome running them in parallel.
Babs used 4-wire testbed because each channel has 2 caps that run in parallel. I just went for 8-wire testbed.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #120 of 378
Yes,I don't want to invent the wheel,just thoughts :) I hope those avx oxicaps sound even better...babs chose them in the end,and they really cost a lot,almost 18 gbp for 5 of them!ad it looks like he is really good at what he's doing,he also has knowledge! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back