iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #9,871 of 14,567
Could it be that MQA playback does not work (any longer) with UAPP after the last firmware update?
The app indicates that an in-app purchase is necessary.

The song plays correctly on my FiiO M11 Pro without the in-app purchase message appearing.
The first unfold used to be free, and after that you needed to purchase the module to unlock further unfolds.

I it even possible to have MQA playback without the in-app purchase?
That's a good question, but since I purchased the module a long time ago, I can't test it without making another google account and downloading the trial. But as of right now as @firesign says it isn't working to unfold past 1x whether you pay for the module or not. I just tested it again with the newest version and it is still gimped... Neutron and Mango though, will unfold to 382 on the MQAs I have to test with.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #9,872 of 14,567
Then I strongly recommend upgrading the Amp 12 to W. Then you have your tight basses with a lot of dynamics and all the advantages that the Amp 12 has over the MK ii.
Yeah I'm not about to pour more money into it, I'm actually happy with the amp11.2, thr comments here lauding the amp12 made me curious, but it doesn't wow me in any aspect. I can understand if you really need the extra power though.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #9,873 of 14,567
Yeah I'm not about to pour more money into it, I'm actually happy with the amp11.2, thr comments here lauding the amp12 made me curious, but it doesn't wow me in any aspect. I can understand if you really need the extra power though.
No, I don't really need the additional power. But when I bought my DX 300 a year ago, it still came with the Amp 11 mki. The 12 was much better. And now that it has been upgraded to 12W, I really like it. Nearly perfect.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #9,874 of 14,567
No, I don't really need the additional power. But when I bought my DX 300 a year ago, it still came with the Amp 11 mki. The 12 was much better. And now that it has been upgraded to 12W, I really like it. Nearly perfect.
In that case it makes more sense. I very nearly sold my dx300 when I got it with the amp11.1 (you can find my earlier posts here if you're curious). Luckily for my taste the amp11.2 was a lot better.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #9,876 of 14,567
In that case it makes more sense. I very nearly sold my dx300 when I got it with the amp11.1 (you can find my earlier posts here if you're curious). Luckily for my taste the amp11.2 was a lot better.
Yes, I immediately believe that the MKII is better than MKI. Personally, I don't think the MKi is that great.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #9,877 of 14,567
I didn't realize the MkI and MkII were THAT much different?!
I've never heard of the MK II. But according to Whitigir, the Amp 11 MK II has no chance against the 12 W. And honestly, I trust Whitigir's judgment.
I have yet to hear his work (or his work through others), but I am sure his recs are good. Why not just have him make the next (tube) amp module?! :upside_down:

So you think there is THAT much difference between stock Amp12 and Amp12W?

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #9,878 of 14,567
I didn't realize the MkI and MkII were THAT much different?!

I have yet to hear his work (or his work through others), but I am sure his recs are good. Why not just have him make the next (tube) amp module?! :upside_down:

So you think there is THAT much difference between stock Amp12 and Amp12W?
Definitely. The bass is much tighter with more punch, the lower and upper mids with much more weight and fuller, smoother and more natural, the micro details much better and the highs are expanded and airier. Stage width is also greatly improved. I think everyone who has converted to 12W will confirm it.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #9,880 of 14,567
The first unfold used to be free, and after that you needed to purchase the module to unlock further unfolds.

That's a good question, but since I purchased the module a long time ago, I can't test it without making another google account and downloading the trial. But as of right now as @firesign says it isn't working to unfold past 1x whether you pay for the module or not. I just tested it again with the newest version and it is still gimped... Neutron and Mango though, will unfold to 382 on the MQAs I have to test with.
Neither UAPP nor Neutron do unfolding at 384 kHz on the DX300.
In fact, Neutron does not unfold any MQA at all in the DX300 or any other player, basically because Neutron does not support unfolding MQA.
Does this mean Neutron does not play MQA files? No, of course it does reproduce them. Just like any other FLAC compatible application, it will play them, because what it plays is the FLAC containing the MQA. And it also warns that it is an MQA, but does not do any unfolding.

To check it you have to look for an MQA file saved in a CD-quality FLAC container. For example, this:
http://www.lindberg.no/hires/mqa-cd-2018/2L-145_01_stereo.mqacd.mqa.flac

If you try this file in Mango, you will see that it unfolds at 384 kHz. If you try it in UAPP you will see that it only does the first unfolding, by software, and plays at 96 kHz. And if you try it on Neutron, you'll see that it plays it like a 44kHz FLAC.

But if you try it with an MQA contained in a FLAC file that is directly at 384 kHz (this for example: http://www.lindberg.no/hires/mqa-2018/2L-145_01_stereo.mqa.flac), all of them will play it at that bitrate, without doing any unfolding, since the FLAC that contains it is already at that bitrate.

Note the size difference between both MQA files, the first one is contained in a 44 kHz FLAC, while the second one is contained in a 384 kHz FLAC, and it is much bigger.

In an MQA-compliant player like Mango, both should play at the same bitrate and sound exactly the same. That does not happen neither in UAPP (in the DX300) nor in Neutron (in any DAP).

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #9,881 of 14,567
In fact, Neutron does not unfold any MQA at all in the DX300 or any other player, basically because Neutron does not support unfolding MQA.
Does this mean Neutron does not play MQA files? No, of course it does reproduce them. Just like any other FLAC compatible application, it will play them, because what it plays is the FLAC containing the MQA. And it also warns that it is an MQA, but does not do any unfolding.

To check it you have to look for an MQA file saved in a CD-quality FLAC container. For example, this:

If you try this file in Mango, you will see that it unfolds at 384 kHz. If you try it in UAPP you will see that it only does the first unfolding, by software, and plays at 96 kHz. And if you try it on Neutron, you'll see that it plays it like a 44kHz FLAC.

But if you try it with an MQA contained in a FLAC file that is directly at 384 kHz (this for example: http://www.lindberg.no/hires/mqa-2018/2L-145_01_stereo.mqa.flac), all of them will play it at that bitrate, without doing any unfolding, since the FLAC that contains it is already at that bitrate.

Note the size difference between both MQA files, the first one is contained in a 44 kHz FLAC, while the second one is contained in a 384 kHz FLAC, and it is much bigger.

In an MQA-compliant player like Mango, both should play at the same bitrate and sound exactly the same. That does not happen neither in UAPP (in the DX300) nor in Neutron (in any DAP).
I'm confused. Does the dx300 with the mqa plugin unfold mqa fully as it should in uapp?

EDIT: UAPP tells me that mqa isn't unfolding unless I enable bit perfect. However it only unfolds 1x even with the MQA plugin. But when I turn off bit perfect I see it fully unfolded to 384. I'm confused even more now.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #9,882 of 14,567
Well, put me in the camp that prefers amp11.2 over amp12. I'm an IEM user first and it's not doing anything noticeably better and one thing noticeably worse.

Today I had the opportunity to do an extensive listening session with my dx312, my Hugo 2 and a TT2 (oh my God... my wallet was getting very nervous).

I was immediately surprised by how wooly and loose the deep subs sounded on the dx312. The H2, TT2 and SP2000t (listened to that as well for a while) had noticeably tighter and as a consequence subjectively deeper subs.

(Side note I listen to a lot drum'n'bass and dubstep, with a of 30-80Hz bass lines, so these thins gets pretty obvious pretty quickly).

I was so surprised, because that's not how I remembered my dx300. Came home and swapped back the amp11.2. Surprise surprise, much tighter and controlled subs.
It's all about the synergy with your iems/headphones. In general i like the amp11.2 more due to the more lively sound, warmer tonality, deeper bass and even wider stage. But it didn't catch the synergy with my xelentos so i was pushed to the amp12. And i dont regret it at all. The holography is amazing, the tonality is very smooth and it has better treble extension. But when i tried the amp11.2 with kinneras nanna i was shocked how great it sounded. In direct comparison against the AK sp2kT, the dx311.2/ kinneras nanna was a better sounding combination. It shows how big potential the amp11.2 has in proper pairing. I think a great conclusion was drawn by Twister6 when he stated that the amp11.2 pairs better with more controlled, bit laid back iems where the amp12 is better with more aggressive iems.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #9,883 of 14,567

So, basically your saying that the file I am trying to play and shows as 383 is just a .FLAC and should play at that rate in any software that plays .FLAC files?

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #9,884 of 14,567
I guess I don't totally understand what is happening here, because in UAPP it shows as 88, but in Neutron it shows as 383. If it is NOT being unfolded in either then something about the rate reporting to the system is off on one or the other of them.

Now that I am looking at the file itself, I have to agree with you because the file I am trying to play is actually 93MB for one song (albeit sort of long song).

Edit: I DO know that currently UAPP is broken where MQA is concerned, but looking at the data between the two apps, it is a bit confusing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back