iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Dec 23, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #9,451 of 14,617
The SP2000 does some things better, the DX300 others. It will come down to personal taste. For me, the mids are far superior on the SP2000, the stage and imaging are better on the DX312. If you prefer the SP2000 you have to accept the other shortcomings such as UI etc.
And from what I have read, there will be other amps for the DX300. It is a moving target. :^)

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #9,452 of 14,617
Dec 23, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #9,453 of 14,617
And from what I have read, there will be other amps for the DX300. It is a moving target. :^)
I really think that the a&k players are overpriced. Sure they have a very nice design and an okeish soft but the sound doesnt meet the expectations of their price point. The only a&k which i liked was sp1000m- because of the timbre- very beautiful, liquid-like mids. Everything else was better in the dx300.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #9,454 of 14,617
I really think that the a&k players are overpriced. Sure they have a very nice design and an okeish soft but the sound doesnt meet the expectations of their price point. The only a&k which i liked was sp1000m- because of the timbre- very beautiful, liquid-like mids. Everything else was better in the dx300.
Thank God. You finally see it. I told you months ago. My last AK was the 380 with an additional amp. And that will be 100% my last.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #9,456 of 14,617
I believed you but was interested in trying the new AK lineup. Not impressed at all.
Yes, for what the AK Player costs, they really do not perform well. And that in every area. Which amp modification did you take? W or EX? My package with the parts seems to be lost. Sent on November 29th in Germany with DHL. I could puke.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #9,457 of 14,617
Yes, for what the AK Player costs, they really do not perform well. And that in every area. Which amp modification did you take? W or EX? My package with the parts seems to be lost. Sent on November 29th in Germany with DHL. I could puke.
Wow that's very unfortunate. Fingers crossed, maybe the package is stuck somewhere due to the high traffic before Christmas.
Steven wrote me that there is a parts shortage in general and he doesn't want to sacrafice the quality so he will wait until the best quality parts will be available again and he will give me an info. Then i will decide which mod.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #9,458 of 14,617
Wow that's very unfortunate. Fingers crossed, maybe the package is stuck somewhere due to the high traffic before Christmas.
Steven wrote me that there is a parts shortage in general and he doesn't want to sacrafice the quality so he will wait until the best quality parts will be available again and he will give me an info. Then i will decide which mod.
Could he tell you something about the different sound signatures? What changes with the NP Mod? I would be interested in whether the sound is a bit warmer and the midrange is a bit fuller and has more meat on the bones. Would be the UM Mest MKII well. Somehow I don't like it with amp12. Only with Oriolus BA 300S in between.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #9,462 of 14,617
2014/2015 AK was the number one. I had AK junior, AK 120 II, Ak 240,240 SS, 320, and AK 380 with amp. But now at 2021/22 AK is overpriced. You have so many other options. Shanling, Lotoo, iBasso, Fiio. AK is not more the number one
AK was overpriced then as well. They were in the process of setting the price high to set the stage for accepting that, that people had to pay the price. Their products material cost wasn't any more than anyone else but once they went high, many accepted that they had to pay the price if they really wanted that good sound. it is a game, a psychological play and it works in general. They make a very good return for their investment. Money, money money.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #9,463 of 14,617
AK house sound is very sterile and clinical. They focused on separation, layering, and very fast transient responses. Completely take out timbre density or extensions and or liquidity. IMO/IME, AK is very stereo and fidelity in performances, where as Ibasso is similar, but compromises some of the separations/layering for more timbres density, extensions and liquidity, hence a compromises in soundstage as well in comparison, but you get more emotions and engaging feelings with Ibasso

IMO, Ibasso hits the sweet spots for both the clinical and references with not so boring but realistic performances in house sound.

However, the latest Dx300 is a different beast that aimed toward both layering, separations, staging, with a very focused liquidity and density. The Dx300 is aimed toward realism, which can be witnessed over the modules that got released, 11-11.2-12! However, due to this focuses, the Dx300 is very hard to bring to a sweet spots, and many people may find the Dx300 has too much warmth/bass/Sub bass, which doesn’t surprise me as I am one of those in the earlier stage.

In conclusion, if you are a tuner and tinkerer, Trading density, liquidity for faster transients and more separations/staging isn’t a hard thing to do. However, until which point and from what gears as a references that you can deem it to be balanced between Fidelity, Stereos, and Realism ? To me, Ibasso always has a better realism and engaging performances while being more friendly to the pockets than AK….Ibasso has always won IMO. Except, if you love that special AK house sound, then it is AK alone.

With all due respect, I can also tune Ibasso Amp modules to trade everything for that AK stereo like performances….but it isn’t my cups of tea….lol

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #9,464 of 14,617
AK house sound is very sterile and clinical. They focused on separation, layering, and very fast transient responses. Completely take out timbre density or extensions and or liquidity. IMO/IME, AK is very stereo and fidelity in performances, where as Ibasso is similar, but compromises some of the separations/layering for more timbres density, extensions and liquidity, hence a compromises in soundstage as well in comparison, but you get more emotions and engaging feelings with Ibasso

IMO, Ibasso hits the sweet spots for both the clinical and references with not so boring but realistic performances in house sound.

However, the latest Dx300 is a different beast that aimed toward both layering, separations, staging, with a very focused liquidity and density. The Dx300 is aimed toward realism, which can be witnessed over the modules that got released, 11-11.2-12! However, due to this focuses, the Dx300 is very hard to bring to a sweet spots, and many people may find the Dx300 has too much warmth/bass/Sub bass, which doesn’t surprise me as I am one of those in the earlier stage.

In conclusion, if you are a tuner and tinkerer, Trading density, liquidity for faster transients and more separations/staging isn’t a hard thing to do. However, until which point and from what gears as a references that you can deem it to be balanced between Fidelity, Stereos, and Realism ? To me, Ibasso always has a better realism and engaging performances while being more friendly to the pockets than AK….Ibasso has always won IMO. Except, if you love that special AK house sound, then it is AK alone.

With all due respect, I can also tune Ibasso Amp modules to trade everything for that AK stereo like performances….but it isn’t my cups of tea….lol
Yeah true. I was shocked how good the dx311.2 was in comparison to the sp2000T. Especially the staging on the iBasso was so grand that the stage on the a&k seemed quite small (even tho it seemed big before comparisons). But the main surprise came with the timbre where the dx311.2 sounded like doubled the pure tube mode on the sp2kT. It wasn't only my impression, the owner of the shop confirmed that plus my friend who was with me.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #9,465 of 14,617
Yeah true. I was shocked how good the dx311.2 was in comparison to the sp2000T. Especially the staging on the iBasso was so grand that the stage on the a&k seemed quite small (even tho it seemed big before comparisons). But the main surprise came with the timbre where the dx311.2 sounded like doubled the pure tube mode on the sp2kT. It wasn't only my impression, the owner of the shop confirmed that plus my friend who was with me.
The Dx300 in it native is very tube like and without tubes!!! That is the craziest thing about the Dx300. The only DAP I have heard to exhibit this phenomenon without tubes.

I love my Dx312EX by a lot and lot, because this hybrid signatures between the liquidity, the connections, engagement of musical notes in the performances, but does not lack any details and fidelity. It is just purely amazing. I did a lot of tweaking and honestly, I never expected it to be this good….but it surprised me. If anyone has ever listened to a good 2A3 tubes systems, they know how amazingly engaging it is with vocal. It is like the singer is singing right in front of you, in the acoustic room, just you, the bands, and the singer. Yes, the Dx312 can achieve that with EX. It will melt your heart, if vocal and 2A3 signatures is what you love.

The W mod on Amp12 aimed toward elevating Ibasso house sound, so it has more micro dynamics, extensions, separations and staging overall. Both are amazing, period…or should I say, Ibasso is amazing and the Dx300 is amazing

All of my impressions and references points of tunings are from HD800S/820, just FYI

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back