iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #8,236 of 14,593
Alright family ! Presenting to you is Amp12W

“clarification” W mod stands for “Whitigir mod”. It is a simplified acoustic tuning based on my references of experiences and using HD800S as a mark of references.

Anyone who has adequate DIY skills should be able to realize the parts being used.

The target is to further the dynamic delivery, imaging, textures and staging from the already excellent stock Amp12 for the Dx300. Also slightly balanced out the mid and the warmth of bass a touches

No plan to EX as this is as good, simple, affordable as is
Cheers! Enjoy music !

C40E5C28-BFA6-4BDC-B6CC-0E4A9DBF5DCF.jpeg6DE0DE24-3A2F-4963-9F97-120EB20FEB18.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #8,237 of 14,593
You make me want to learn how to do that. That’s awesome! My father in law is an electrical engineer so maybe he could help me.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #8,239 of 14,593
@Whitigir

Can you elaborate more?
I believe I did everything that I could :). For anyone who want to get this done in EU, my friend will be able to help, NPAudio, I recommend his expertises and craftsmanship

*Disclaimer* I am not associated with either Ibasso nor NPAudio. I am doing this out of my expenses and enthusiastic, I gain nothing from this, but I have invested a hell load into this (time, labors, experiences, finances). After being enthusiastically sharing my results with many trolls previously, while gaining nothing, I am very reluctant to continue this. Eventhough I will keep truth to my enthusiasm, but I may not share much due to all of ….the complexities from all the above. I hope you all enjoy music

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #8,240 of 14,593
Alright family ! Presenting to you is Amp12W

“clarification” W mod stands for “Whitigir mod”. It is a simplified acoustic tuning based on my references of experiences and using HD800S as a mark of references.

Anyone who has adequate DIY skills should be able to realize the parts being used.

The target is to further the dynamic delivery, imaging, textures and staging from the already excellent stock Amp12 for the Dx300. Also slightly balanced out the mid and the warmth of bass a touches

No plan to EX as this is as good, simple, affordable as is

Anyone in USA would like to give this an audition, feel free to PM me, just pay for shipping. I am fine with 1 week period

Cheers! Enjoy music !

C40E5C28-BFA6-4BDC-B6CC-0E4A9DBF5DCF.jpeg6DE0DE24-3A2F-4963-9F97-120EB20FEB18.jpeg
You are really dedicated to that diffuse field sound.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #8,241 of 14,593
I have had my Amp12 modded in accordance to Whitigirs Amp12W mod.
After spending about a week with it I am ready to share my opinions about it ! :)
(Some times later tonight though)

*The differing red / black capacitator is the exact same one actually, differing in color only (I think asian markets get red ones, western markets black ones)*

Attachments

• 20210901_225005.jpg
    20210901_225005.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #8,243 of 14,593
I can definitely do that. Should I wait for 100 hours of burn-in? I really enjoy the iFi. I will make a note to come back and give my thoughts!

I have my popcorn ready :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 6, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #8,244 of 14,593
Hi all, since my DAC is buried inside my console and the included coax cable is too short, can I use any 3.5mm to 3.5 male to female extension cable or do I need to buy a purpose made coaxial cable that is longer?
Not really enough information to give a complete answer, but if your DAC has an male RCA cable coming from it and you are wanting to go from the DX300 SPDIF out (3.5mm), you can just get THIS and use the supplied cable from the DX300.

Keep in mind that if you DO buy a 3.5mm cable of your own, you will want the single ring (mono) 3.5mm male that plugs into the DX300. I don't think the dual ring kind (stereo) will work (though I could be wrong about that one). I had this issue once with my older Fiio DAPs where the older one used the single ring for SPDIF, and the newer one used the dual ring for SPDIF. Changing them from one to the other, it would not work.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #8,245 of 14,593
Not really enough information to give a complete answer, but if your DAC has an male RCA cable coming from it and you are wanting to go from the DX300 SPDIF out (3.5mm), you can just get THIS and use the supplied cable from the DX300.

Keep in mind that if you DO buy a 3.5mm cable of your own, you will want the single ring (mono) 3.5mm male that plugs into the DX300. I don't think the dual ring kind (stereo) will work (though I could be wrong about that one). I had this issue once with my older Fiio DAPs where the older one used the single ring for SPDIF, and the newer one used the dual ring for SPDIF. Changing them from one to the other, it would not work.
Hey thanks for the info. Went out and bought a 3.5mm to male RCA coax with TRRS plugs and confirmed that it didn't work. Will go the route you suggested and buy a male to male coax cable instead.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #8,246 of 14,593
It is really quite simple to downgrade back to another version of the FW. Just make sure you have downloaded it from the site, and use the same process that you would use to upgrade, but choose this FW version instead.

This is also why I don't upgrade to any FW that is not on their official site. Unless there are issues with the current FW version, I am content to stay at that version until I KNOW the newest one works well.
Thank you for responding! The firmware was an over-the-air update available right from the DX300 GUI itself, so it was definitely coming from the iBasso servers. I saw many posts on the web of people downloading from non-iBasso 3rd part sites so I though I was safe...but you live you learn :D. It should have been a red flag that the firmware was available over the air, but not downloadable from their site. I am glad you responded because I did try to downgrade and it was absolutely not possible to downgrade from 1.03 back to 1.02 or 1.01. I tried from the GUI and also tried from recovery mode. I see that the DX200 has additional downloads for flash recovery which are not available to the DX300. A full flash recovery was needed for me, which iBasso via email, said they were working on a process for that but was not available yet. I am guessing this could be due to the 1.03 firmware having a drastically updated Android core or possible issues with that firmware that did not allow to go back to a lower version. My saving grace was that the vendor agreed to return the unit after the return period. Hopefully iBasso comes out with a process for a flash recovery and fixed firmware...regardless of the issues I have, I still love the DX300 and I am not going to upgrade my replacement device!

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #8,248 of 14,593
That is exactly my experience. Since the new firmware I also have some problems. The shutdown display appears irregularly. It is not possible to change the firmware version.
I also hope for an early solution from iBasso.
I wonder what they changed that they felt the need to make it so you CAN'T downgrade to an older FW version?! In the past, on both the DX300, and the DX160, you could just download and install any version of the FW you wanted (probably why each one was so big in size).

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #8,249 of 14,593
I thought someone asked about Neutron 64 Bits processing. Yes, using this setting >>> playback >>> 64 bits processing together with setting >>> playback >>>>> Resampling >>>>>Audiophile processing will give an improved dynamic and cleaner background

My favorite setting for Neutron

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #8,250 of 14,593
I have had my Amp12 modded in accordance to Whitigirs Amp12W mod.
After spending about a week with it I am ready to share my opinions about it ! :)
(Some times later tonight though)

*The differing red / black capacitator is the exact same one actually, differing in color only (I think asian markets get red ones, western markets black ones)*
@NaittsirK
I was hoping to hear your impressions about this mod, I have my soldering iron at the ready :L3000:
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back