iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 9, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #4,756 of 14,593
I never kept my batteries below 50-60% lol! Unless I have to, which is super duper extremely rare. I am always impressed by the battery on the Dx300 though, going 7-8 hours and only %40 down with %60 remaining. It is pretty crazy

When I want Dual Korg tubes, and other sound signatures, Toss a C9 at the Dx300 and observe the performances being taken further: Most importantly, the signature is more neutral than listening direct from the dx300, still warmth though, but improved soundstage, deep sub bass, imaging, dynamic, textures, and extensions are all taken further.

Yes, the Dx300 is benefited by the dedicated battery for the amplifier alone, which is totally independent from the main processor and DAC Vs other DAPs.

change up the sound signatures here and there is pretty fun stuff LOL, expensive too

35995E25-F717-458E-946B-E93207846F7B.jpeg
Hey mate. Which sounds best with the amp , the dx300 or N6ii?

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #4,758 of 14,593
Thanks a lot for the feedback! Would you kindly help me test the following tracks on the DX300 with the MEST? I too am a fan of alternatives and acoustic. I often listen to Indie-esque kind of music. While working, I tend to listen to lots of classical/symphony tracks as well.

(for male vocal)

I'll try to have a look at them and get back to you; right now I'm in the middle of writing up reviews for the DX220MAX, DX300 and IT07, so I'm a bit snowed under at the moment :sweat_smile:
Will do my best. I don't know any of those songs - although I know of and/or like some of the artists - so it will be fun to listen anyway, once I have some spare time! :)

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #4,759 of 14,593
I am not eager to spend 2K on the C9 if there are good amp modules coming. Hope we hear about this soon.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #4,760 of 14,593
I am not eager to spend 2K on the C9 if there are good amp modules coming. Hope we hear about this soon.
They will never reach the level of C9, for sure. So, it is a good investment, especially driving planars, for the future. Another point is, C9 will have a much longer product life than a DAP, and you can definitely be sure that you will have the best possible portable amplification with any DAP you buy in the future

I am not sure about getting it, especially now that I am doing full time home office and have a TOTL desktop setup, but will most probably get it when I am mobile again.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #4,761 of 14,593
They will never reach the level of C9, for sure. So, it is a good investment, especially driving planars, for the future. Another point is, C9 will have a much longer product life than a DAP, and you can definitely be sure that you will have the best possible portable amplification with any DAP you buy in the future

I am not sure about getting it, especially now that I am doing full time home office and have a TOTL desktop setup, but will most probably get it when I am mobile again.
totally agreed ! The C9 footprints is as compact as can be and it is already that large. There is just no way to get a good amp module the way the C9 is for the Dx300. At least considering sizes matter!

The best Ibasso have to offer is the Dx220Max and that is about it. That is not to say newer module can not bring improvements. It definitely will because there is a huge differences when using C9 with dx300 line out. One of the aspect is that the warmth and bass is more neutral and balanced

The only possible way to have an amp module that will work so well (Sony is doing it to SA-Z1) on Dx300 is, theoretically speaking with minimal footprint : Engineering a Class D amplifications with switching stages using GAN-FET . Why class D ? Because being small, we need all the efficiency that we can squeeze for output power and running direct from 3.7V batteries. Then GAN FET is the newest and most efficient in switching atm.

Who knows what Ibasso has in mind ?

Hey mate. Which sounds best with the amp , the dx300 or N6ii?
The best sound paired with the C9 is subjective . The N6ii has A02 as it best really, and that is that. The other module I tried T01 it is just okay

The differences between these A02 and Dx300 is that the A02 has better imaging and textures with deep pitch black background . Overall is neutral sound signatures

The dx300 has larger soundstage but imagining is not as well textured and defined as the A02. However, the larger soundstage with more forwarded upper mid should put them on par. Overall is a more analog sounding

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #4,762 of 14,593
I'll try to have a look at them and get back to you; right now I'm in the middle of writing up reviews for the DX220MAX, DX300 and IT07, so I'm a bit snowed under at the moment :sweat_smile:
Will do my best. I don't know any of those songs - although I know of and/or like some of the artists - so it will be fun to listen anyway, once I have some spare time! :)

Thanks bud! I will watch out for your reviews of the IT07 as well. I used to own a pair of IT04 and it served me well for a while.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,763 of 14,593
totally agreed ! The C9 footprints is as compact as can be and it is already that large. There is just no way to get a good amp module the way the C9 is for the Dx300. At least considering sizes matter!

The best Ibasso have to offer is the Dx220Max and that is about it. That is not to say newer module can not bring improvements. It definitely will because there is a huge differences when using C9 with dx300 line out. One of the aspect is that the warmth and bass is more neutral and balanced

The only possible way to have an amp module that will work so well (Sony is doing it to SA-Z1) on Dx300 is, theoretically speaking with minimal footprint : Engineering a Class D amplifications with switching stages using GAN-FET . Why class D ? Because being small, we need all the efficiency that we can squeeze for output power and running direct from 3.7V batteries. Then GAN FET is the newest and most efficient in switching atm.

Who knows what Ibasso has in mind ?

The best sound paired with the C9 is subjective . The N6ii has A02 as it best really, and that is that. The other module I tried T01 it is just okay

The differences between these A02 and Dx300 is that the A02 has better imaging and textures with deep pitch black background . Overall is neutral sound signatures

The dx300 has larger soundstage but imagining is not as well textured and defined as the A02. However, the larger soundstage with more forwarded upper mid should put them on par. Overall is a more analog sounding

Excuse my ignorance, but when you pair the DX300 to the C9, how do you turn on the balance lineout? I only see the setting for PO and LO. I assume that is the one? Many thanks!

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #4,764 of 14,593
Excuse my ignorance, but when you pair the DX300 to the C9, how do you turn on the balance lineout? I only see the setting for PO and LO. I assume that is the one? Many thanks!
Yes, you flip the PO to LO. Both of them use different detections for different preset volume. Before you get into using the PO from LO mode, remember to close down all apps so none of them will automatically play upon plugged in

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #4,765 of 14,593
Yes, you flip the PO to LO. Both of them use different detections for different preset volume. Before you get into using the PO from LO mode, remember to close down all apps so none of them will automatically play upon plugged in

and after your are done with LO, don't forget to switch back to PO before you plug earphones back into the DAP and your ears :D

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,767 of 14,593
Oh true! Even you and me made such mistakes. This gotta be brought up every time for sure lol

What? You said something? I can't hear you, ears still ringing :p

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #4,768 of 14,593
That's really a feature I loved on RME ADI-2 DAC.
It turns volume digitally down when plugging phones in an raising slowly.
Very nice idea
Should be industry standard!

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #4,769 of 14,593
That's really a feature I loved on RME ADI-2 DAC.
It turns volume digitally down when plugging phones in an raising slowly.
Very nice idea
Should be industry standard!
It could be implemented within the firmware. Would be a good idea to have an option so that the user can set XX volume whenever a plug is detected by PO or LO.

Don’t even need to be ramping up the volume

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #4,770 of 14,593
So I manage to sell my ex-fan 8 amp

Just before packing thought i'd compare with dx300 which only has 50 hrs.

My initial impressions was dx300 more forward sounding a lot more detail but bass a bit toned down. Stage was more shallow and didn't have that theatre kind of Bass I loved about dx228ex. Then I changed the digital filter D3 to D1 (no fast roll) something I thought makes very little difference to my ears. Not sure if it was the 30 min break I took but all of a sudden BANG dx300 matches dx228ex same wide stage and impactful bass , little more detail and as expected a touch cleaner sounding.

My question is now i'm wondering if bass will become even more larger and controlled as time goes on ? no regrets so far I was even prepared to compromise to have a faster dap.
What are other experiences with dx228ex do they feel it supersedes also very excited to see what future amp modules will bring to this player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back