iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 7, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,426 of 14,593
To me the question is not what brand of fpga they used. (there all prety similiar from a high level perspective)
I wonder why an fpga? So they plan to reprogram it from firmware updates? Than they need a ceperate interface between the cpu and the fpga for that.
(altho partially reprogramaming the fpga over the audio/clock interface might be possible it wouldnt be easy)

Yeah, I think that is probably the whole idea. You don't want finalized ASIC, and instead will have FPGA with some config Eeprom to load the updated code. The only thing we know for sure is that audio processing will be done outside of snapdragon SoC, running on FPGA with a code designed by iBasso. It is a new chapter for them, so I'm sure they will come up with fixes and optimizations down the road. Look at Chord, they use Xilinx FPGA with a fully customized code developed by Rob Watts which they update and optimize upon need.

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,427 of 14,593
its Ibasso who started the whole thing and the super FPGA master thing lol, I would rather be more impressed by their power and battery management system but fgpa is welcome of course if it can filter that extra fine purity of music and kill the soc plague and affectation to the sound. but why not simply take the soc out and have no soc involved? and find something that can be used differently that way no need for soc and fpga master ?

I see no fpga claims on R8 and M8 devices? I saw fpga on cayin N8 I think it was for different purposes also LPGT has one too
If you take out the SoC then what controls everything? The screen, and all other digital interactions, besides the digital stream that becomes music. So from what I have read, the SoC handles screen etc., and the FPGA the sound of course and thus, a much cleaner and pure stream for the music. Endless debate. It will be nice when it is out so people can concentrate on other things, like enjoy music. :^)

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,428 of 14,593
its Ibasso who started the whole thing and the super FPGA master thing lol, I would rather be more

It’s literally advertised everywhere as groundbreaking. And it’s ambiguous why and they don’t disclose it brand and say things like “Our own FPAG Chip” in the description on audio64 then people keep saying and speculating that’s not what they “mean” and “probably” mean this process.

“4pcs CS43198 DAC, 2 batteries one for Digital and one for Analogue. Our own FPGA chip and the Snapdragon 660 for Two controllers. Android 9 OS, 6.5inch capacitive full screen.
Stock AMP11 module is 2.5,4.4,3.5 and all can be used for line out. The back is a matt finished glass.”

FPGA-Master used by the DX300

“In the traditional audio players, the SoC and the OS are in charge of many tasks at the same time. Audio playback isn’t the main process and often doesn’t have the highest priority. In the DX300, we developed a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) to eliminate the negative influence from the OS’ multi-task processes. The FPGA works between the SoC and the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). It is dedicated to requesting data from the SoC, then sending that data to the DAC. In our application, the FPGA is working in master mode in the entire audio process using two Accusilicone Fentosecond oscillators as the clocks while synchronizing all audio clocks. It is able to construct one of the cleanest audio system recoveries of data possible while minimizing any jitter.”

https://audio46.com/products/ibasso-dx300-high-performance-digital-audio-player

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,430 of 14,593
Yeah, I think that is probably the whole idea. You don't want finalized ASIC, and instead will have FPGA with some config Eeprom to load the updated code. The only thing we know for sure is that audio processing will be done outside of snapdragon SoC, running on FPGA with a code designed by iBasso. It is a new chapter for them, so I'm sure they will come up with fixes and optimizations down the road. Look at Chord, they use Xilinx FPGA with a fully customized code developed by Rob Watts which they update and optimize upon need.
Yeah indeed but Chord implements there own filters and dac (atleast part of it) on that fpga if im not mistaken while ibasso still uses dac chip (probably cuase there fpga cant be that large) so that kind of limits whet you can do. All that fpga master stuff is kinda vague to me too. The player on the soc has the digital audio to send to the fpga so what would making the fpga master and "request" that audio make timing more accurate and provide lower noise?

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,431 of 14,593
Yeah indeed but Chord implements there own filters and dac (atleast part of it) on that fpga if im not mistaken while ibasso still uses dac chip (probably cuase there fpga cant be that large) so that kind of limits whet you can do. All that fpga master stuff is kinda vague to me too. The player on the soc has the digital audio to send to the fpga so what would making the fpga master and "request" that audio make timing more accurate and provide lower noise?
The CL can act as Slave or Master as well. So, if it is acting as a Slave while the FPGa pass through it DSD256 into the CL interfaces into the low pass filters, then that means Ibasso is using FPGA as the DAC just like Chord

This question I have been asking but so far we have had no answer yet

FiiO M15 is basically doing that with All to DSD features and I believe LPGT can also do it. But they may be sitting at DSD128. I could be wrong

The Shanling M8 does not though .... so

The LP P6 and LP6 and the ladder players are basically using the FPGA to DSP all PCM and or DSD into PWM so that it can be processed by the Ladder boards.
It is all depend upon what implementations Ibasso did on the Dx300

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,432 of 14,593
It’s literally advertised everywhere as groundbreaking. And it’s ambiguous why and they don’t disclose it brand and say things like “Our own FPAG Chip” in the description on audio64 then people keep saying and speculating that’s not what they “mean” and “probably” mean this process.

“4pcs CS43198 DAC, 2 batteries one for Digital and one for Analogue. Our own FPGA chip and the Snapdragon 660 for Two controllers. Android 9 OS, 6.5inch capacitive full screen.
Stock AMP11 module is 2.5,4.4,3.5 and all can be used for line out. The back is a matt finished glass.”

“In the traditional audio players, the SoC and the OS are in charge of many tasks at the same time. Audio playback isn’t the main process and often doesn’t have the highest priority. In the DX300, we developed a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) to eliminate the negative influence from the OS’ multi-task processes. The FPGA works between the SoC and the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). It is dedicated to requesting data from the SoC, then sending that data to the DAC. In our application, the FPGA is working in master mode in the entire audio process using two Accusilicone Fentosecond oscillators as the clocks while synchronizing all audio clocks. It is able to construct one of the cleanest audio system recoveries of data possible while minimizing any jitter.”

I see Isee

Bud can you please stop mixing info lol audio 64 is this https://www.64audio.com/ and audio46 is a store in New York :)
Cause I am the famous Noir Tiger Ears and I own those Tia Fourte Noire and that is audio 64, so if you dont want me to drive down ya street haha with a big rig to fix some fixures lo lo and definitely not make me horn the train Flute :stuck_out_tongue: :ksc75smile: Stop mixing the names :stuck_out_tongue::gs1000smile:

anadapost.ca/trackweb/en#/search?searchFor=Cx621745258ca

The CL can act as Slave or Master as well. So, if it is acting as a Slave while the FPGa pass through it DSD256 into the CL interfaces into the low pass filters, then that means Ibasso is using FPGA as the DAC just like Chord

This question I have been asking but so far we have had no answer yet

FiiO M15 is basically doing that with All to DSD features and I believe LPGT can also do it. But they may be sitting at DSD128. I could be wrong

The Shanling M8 does not though .... so

Then the one million $ question! How many taps does it have now :thinking:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,433 of 14,593

Our own FPGA chip = Just reads to me like the marketing team spoke with there hardware disigner and got it wrong.
How would making your FPGA master be able to negate bad influences from OS processes?
It's your os audio process that has the audio samples and controls playback. I guess you might make a FPGA control an interrupt on the soc that directly prempts and jumps to the audio process. But that won't mean it would have new samples yet. Might make the timing a little faster tho.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #1,434 of 14,593
Honestly, I am lost in all the discussions of whether the FPGA is in-house or required from a third party. To me what matters is how it sounds. If it sounds great then it is a product worth recommending, regardless of where they get the FPGA chips. Also, besides FPGA, there are many other components equally important such as power supply and their OS.

Perhaps I should do the translation sooner than later lol. That first review has a tone of description about how the device sounds and its functionality.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,435 of 14,593
Somebody please go to e-earphone Nagoya on Jan 9 for their demo day and come back with impressions :)

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,436 of 14,593
I looked at Audio 46’s description. They changed it after I raised the issue to them. Although they say something like the “FPGA chip”, it is clearly inconsistent with what iBasso offers in their official (Chinese) posts. If you checked my translation (also available in the main post), you will see that they mention it as “our own FPGA technology”.

I don’t know where Audio 46 gets the new translated description, but all I can say is part of it is misleading and inconsistent with what iBasso publicly offers. Maybe I shouldn’t ask them to take my translation down so that we will not have such confusion here...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,437 of 14,593
Honestly, I am lost in all the discussions of whether the FPGA is in-house or required from a third party. To me what matters is how it sounds. If it sounds great then it is a product worth recommending, regardless of where they get the FPGA chips. Also, besides FPGA, there are many other components equally important such as power supply and their OS.

Perhaps I should do the translation sooner than later lol. That first review has a tone of description about how the device sounds and its functionality.
Exactly. Right now it is Schrödinger's FPGA. If its there it has whatever the purpose it was implemented for and let's hope that the logic is good.
Or it's not there.

I just hope that the DAP will make my eyes water.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,438 of 14,593
FiiO M15 is basically doing that with All to DSD features and I believe LPGT can also do it. But they may be sitting at DSD128. I could be wrong. The Shanling M8 does not though .... so

Yep LPGT did that and offloaded things to the AKM4137EQ and honestly I don't know how good it is on the M15 but on the LPGT I just loved it just like the overall DSP is the most natural I have ever heard.

Honestly, I am lost in all the discussions of whether the FPGA is in-house or required from a third party. To me what matters is how it sounds. If it sounds great then it is a product worth recommending, regardless of where they get the FPGA chips. Also, besides FPGA, there are many other components equally important such as power supply and their OS. Perhaps I should do the translation sooner than later lol. That first review has a tone of description about how the device sounds and its functionality.

Totally agree there :)

I have never gotten to do DAP reviews but then again I didn't do cable reviews before so DX300 might be a good start. At least detailed impressions for sure.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,439 of 14,593
I see Isee

Bud can you please stop mixing info lol audio 64 is this https://www.64audio.com/ and audio46 is a store in New York :)
Cause I am the famous Noir Tiger Ears and I own those Tia Fourte Noire and that is audio 64, so if you dont want me to drive down ya street haha with a big rig to fix some fixures lo lo and definitely not make me horn the train Flute :stuck_out_tongue: :ksc75smile: Stop mixing the names :stuck_out_tongue::gs1000smile:

anadapost.ca/trackweb/en#/search?searchFor=Cx621745258ca

Then the one million $ question! How many taps does it have now :thinking:
Taps length depend on the algorithms and the processing prowess of the FPGA, which no one knows what implementations the Dx300 is capable with (an example that Chord do 1M tap lengths and only use simple FPGA configuration while HQplayer has algorithms to run 1M but the PC built have to have the powerful graphic card to do so). These matters are ways too complex to peer into

So far I was just saying that FPGA applications is limitless, and it all depends on what Ibasso designed it out to be. It isn’t necessarily mean that using DAC IC, the FPGA can’t be used as a DAC by itself , similar to Chord

I am not saying that Dx300 have such feature, but I am asking if Dx300 is capable or not
Anyways, the player isn’t out yet, and a lot of stuff are upto discussion. However, The main things I care about is the Dual power supplies as I mentioned previously, I have Max and I love it so much!!!! Can’t wait to have a miniMax with CL signatures

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #1,440 of 14,593
I see Isee

You are correct I mixed them up. 😔 I don’t want to get the tiger mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back