iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #13,096 of 14,593
@Paul - iBasso
I currently like to use dx312 4.4mm line out to bx2+
I’d like to purchase new amp13 but would still like the option of the line out mode. Would I still be able to use that since there’s two se ports (I’m assuming 1 in 1 out?) thanks and sorry if already mentioned in this thread, just thought it might be more beneficial posting here 🤷‍♂️
Both are outputs for headphones/IEMs, the only difference is that one is rated for more power out than the other. There is no Line Out in the AMP13.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #13,097 of 14,593
For quite a few of my head gear devices, I totally agree with you, so you have at least one in your corner... :)

Well said sir!

I don't believe the correct term for the DX320 is better anyhow IMO. As mentioned earlier, I believe that we have pretty much reached a plateau where if there IS room for improvement in sound quality, diminishing returns makes you need to be OCD (a bit) to feel the NEED to upgrade if you already have and enjoy your DX300. That leaves out those that just love getting new toys and such, and I am certainly not accusing anyone of having mental issues if they want to get the DX320 after owning the DX300... :)

Bottom line is that, while tempted with the DX320 (because it WOULD be a new toy to play with), I am more than happy with the DX300, and I have still not even had my amp12 card modded, nor heard amp13 yet... That ability to change the sound of this thing with the removal of two screws makes it new and refreshed any time I want. In my mind, what more could you want? Oh, and there is a little thing out there that can help you tweak the sound to the way you like it should it be JUST a tad off, and it doesn't cost $1500 to $2000 to get. It is called EQ... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

After all we are talking about buying new hardware to tweak the sound to our tastes, because if a DAP is neutral and the technicalities are all there (faithfully reproducing the sound), I really don't see how it can get better. At that point, you are either happy with the sound or not, and if you are not, then you are looking for coloring in the sound, in which case the EQ fills that bill (or even changing head gear also).

So, really in my mind what makes a DAP TOTL flagship is really all about the technicalities, in which case the DX300 would be the best of the best (they had some firsts with a portable DAP, and the specs are outstanding; SNR, THD, etc...). It then comes down to how they tweaked the sound. Well, I can tell you they all sound different. Does that make them better? Only if your ears say so. Just my thoughts.. :)

Having said all of that, @RIGATIO is a pretty good salesman, though I would say far from non-biased in his thoughts (he is all in or not at all).... :sunglasses::v::thumbsup: I may have to give those darned pieces of crap he's been going on about for a while now a try.. :) Though, I still think my next one will be the Hook-X, and amp13 first. ⬇️:rabbit2::hole: again!
I totaly agree. Imho there is no need of upgrading the dx300 (especially dx312EXN). Sure im getting an extra qualities with the dx320 but hello, lets be honest, these arent groundbreaking (for me they are important as my satisfaction is fulfilled completely but just for me).
As i posted today, the dx300 has very very similar soundstage, bass, layering as the dx320. The main differences are in timbre, where the dx320 is more natural, has more microdetail and is bit more dynamic (but mainly microdynamics as the overall macrodynamics are similar). Its also cleaner and less colored. But the coloring isnt bad at all.
For me the dx312EX/EXN is up on top, no doubts. For the finest refinement, you could go for the dx320 but its really not needed.
For me the biggest upgrade ive gotten was with the iems. The Monarchs (i know again, sorry) gave me the most significant change to the sound.
So, having such an amazing source as the dx300, i still recommend investment in iems, in case you want something better from the sound.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #13,098 of 14,593
Mailman just went by, something arrived...

Attachments

• IMG_20220604_135626.jpg
    IMG_20220604_135626.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #13,099 of 14,593
@Paul - iBasso
I currently like to use dx312 4.4mm line out to bx2+
I’d like to purchase new amp13 but would still like the option of the line out mode. Would I still be able to use that since there’s two se ports (I’m assuming 1 in 1 out?) thanks and sorry if already mentioned in this thread, just thought it might be more beneficial posting here 🤷‍♂️
I could be wrong, but it looks like both 3.5mm ouputs are PO with no LO. One is just less powered than the other. I suppose you cuold use one as LO, but it will still be amped (it doesn't appear from the schematic that either is bypassing the amp section). But they aren't using the terms LO and PO on this amp, they are calling it low noise tube, and max outputs.
The red line I see here is the N8II
But that one still has double NuTube and Balanced output
And as you say better ?
What's better ?
Same like the endless discussions about ESS vs AKM
Here it's now Cirrus vs Rohm
Isn't it all about personal sound preference ?
Next after the DAP it will be the cables and headphones and IEM used
The combination of those 3 will finally please your ears
Does it make sense to have an awesome DAP but finally the next 2 in line are restricting the total sound experience ?
Shouldn't all be up to level ?
Now that's just my thinking ?
What's your ideas since I gladly will hear other thoughts ... 🤔
Yes, those are my thoughts about it also. If a DAP is perfect/near perfect in its capability to reproduce faithful sound, it stands to reason that cables, and head gear could be considered the weakest part of the chain, if you aren't completely satisfied with the current sound. At the same time though, I still maintain that TOTL or flagship head gear doesn't have to be the answer to attain that "perfect sound" for you.

I have a set of Tinhifi P1 (OG) planar IEMs that were something like $170, and I would put them up against most of the "flagship" IEMs I have heard (depending on my mood, how clean my ears are, day of the week, etc... :)) On the other hand (again depending on how I want to hear the sound) I have the IT-07, and they ARE flagship IEMs (and for good reason IMO). I rank them at the top of my list regardless of price. If I want pure analytical, I will listen to something like Sennheiser HD800 or Moondrop Chaconne earbuds (or something like it). I try and cover all my bases where unique and diffferent sounds are made by making sure my purchases contrast, and not sound the same for that very reason. This is one of the reasons I am interested in the Hook-X. They are unique and appear to sound different than most other things out there ATM (we'll see). At one point, I sent the Andromedas back over the DUNU DK2001 ($300 IEM) because they were just better (for my ears).

Also, I DO believe in synergy. You can tell when a DAP is pretty close to neutral because it isn't colored and will synergize with a wider array of head gear, whereas a heavily colored DAP will synergize with less head gear (IMHO)....

BTW! Been meaning to ask you, how are you enjoying your Cayin C9? I have heard some really good things about it, and not really many bad things? What head gear do you find to sound best with it?

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #13,100 of 14,593
I could be wrong, but it looks like both 3.5mm ouputs are PO with no LO. One is just less powered than the other. I suppose you cuold use one as LO, but it will still be amped (it doesn't appear from the schematic that either is bypassing the amp section). But they aren't using the terms LO and PO on this amp, they are calling it low noise tube, and max outputs.

Yes, those are my thoughts about it also. If a DAP is perfect/near perfect in its capability to reproduce faithful sound, it stands to reason that cables, and head gear could be considered the weakest part of the chain, if you aren't completely satisfied with the current sound. At the same time though, I still maintain that TOTL or flagship head gear doesn't have to be the answer to attain that "perfect sound" for you.

I have a set of Tinhifi P1 (OG) planar IEMs that were something like $170, and I would put them up against most of the "flagship" IEMs I have heard (depending on my mood, how clean my ears are, day of the week, etc... :)) On the other hand (again depending on how I want to hear the sound) I have the IT-07, and they ARE flagship IEMs (and for good reason IMO). I rank them at the top of my list regardless of price. If I want pure analytical, I will listen to something like Sennheiser HD800 or Moondrop Chaconne earbuds (or something like it). I try and cover all my bases where unique and diffferent sounds are made by making sure my purchases contrast, and not sound the same for that very reason. This is one of the reasons I am interested in the Hook-X. They are unique and appear to sound different than most other things out there ATM (we'll see). At one point, I sent the Andromedas back over the DUNU DK2001 ($300 IEM) because they were just better (for my ears).

Also, I DO believe in synergy. You can tell when a DAP is pretty close to neutral because it isn't colored and will synergize with a wider array of head gear, whereas a heavily colored DAP will synergize with less head gear (IMHO)....

BTW! Been meaning to ask you, how are you enjoying your Cayin C9? I have heard some really good things about it, and not really many bad things? What head gear do you find to sound best with it?

Cayin C9 is quite transparent to what's up-chain to it. So it doesn't compensate for much synnergy. It is just supplying more power.

So it is kind of redundant, if you got a powerful dap with a presentation you already like. It will just give you that same presentation with a step more power.

But redundancy for powerful dap owners aside......it is a really good amplifier in terms of how transparent it is. Literally no additional compression is introduced by it. Keeps really good depth and staging for an amp (it does not introduce more staging/depth).

C9's lack of compression is probably better than alot of desktop amps. Certainly more than some of mine (except for the Bryston BHA-1, but I just got the Bryston amp. So that may still be my honeymoon phase talking and overly praising it).

20220503_172856.jpg

20220420_215349.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #13,101 of 14,593
These are gorgeous. My phone's camera doesn't do the side plates justice with the pictures but it's amazing. Gonna try them on the DX313 soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20220604_143238.jpg
    IMG_20220604_143238.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220604_143322.jpg
    IMG_20220604_143322.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #13,103 of 14,593

I really enjoy the C9
As posted previously I love it in Class A mode + NuTube
This combination makes it on par with some of the TOTL headphones
And as our friend @Infoseeker posted it's just better as many desktop amps
It's not about playing loud but headphones and IEM need the full power package to make them shine
I started years ago with my Pixel + Apple DAC dongle + KZ ZSN Pro
And that kept growing
Now I arrived on the other end of the sound spectrum let's call it
My Cayin N8II should have arrived yesterday but FedEx decided it will be Monday
Have my C9 already here as you know
IEM I own at the moment are U6T, U12T, U18S and Fourté
I have Oriolus Traillii that have arrived and need to pick them up
Next week my Aroma Jewel are arriving
And cables I just bought a PW Audio First Times
My PW Audio Metropolis is for next week it seems
And the Bride Audio STR-7 Ref is for end of this month
It's build to order
So as you see this hobby has close to no limits but I enjoyed each step I made overtime
Now probably the term 'deminishing return' pops up in your mind but that's up to each how much you want to hear in the end
But don't let those 2 words be the limiting factor
Now we just need to enjoy what we have today ... 🙏

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #13,104 of 14,593
I really enjoy the C9
It's not about playing loud but headphones and IEM need the full power package to make them shine
And that kept growing
Have my C9 already here
It's build to order
So as you see this hobby has close to no limits but I enjoyed each step I made overtime
Now probably the term deminishing return pops up in your mind but that's up to each how much you want to hear in the end
We just need to enjoy what we have today ... 🙏
Very nice indeed! Enjoy!

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #13,106 of 14,593
I really enjoy the C9
And that kept growing
Have my C9 already here as you know
It's build to order
Now probably the term 'deminishing return' pops up in your mind but that's up to each how much you want to hear in the end
But don't let those 2 words be the limiting factor
Now we just need to enjoy what we have today ... 🙏
Man are you the son of a sheik? Haha. Enjoy.

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #13,108 of 14,593
Went to the shop, leaving the dx320 for a charge and took the dx312EXN with me. Damn it sounds completely different but still amazing. Such a beautiful, smooth, warmish sound. Very emotional. Not as realistic but who cares?

Grab me a ribeye steak while you are out? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: In order to remain politically correct, I must apologize to all the vegans/vegetarians out there... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back