iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
May 17, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #12,661 of 14,593
So far, I feel like the stock filter has been the best fit for me. But I really gotta play with them more, test each for a few days. Might do just that when the DX312EX arrives this Friday. Hype.
Side note, have you guys tried any EQ profiles? Say something that you'd use one Wavelet for example. I may play with the Parametric EQ on this dap.
You may find that one to be the best for you even after testing. I had not really considered them in the past because I LIKE clarity in my IEMs. I'm not a super fan of warm unless they can still offer that clarity while being warm (like the P1 do for me).

IIRC even if you root your DX300 you won't be able to use Wavelet, but the good news is that Neutron works with those auto-EQ profiles. It will even go out and find the database, and all you need do is choose your head gear (just like Wavelet). And, yes I use them for my Sennheiser HD700, and my Hifiman TWS600. Otherwise, I use EQ only when needed. For instance the Rose Technics Maria II earbuds. They are a dual DD earbud, and sound amazing if you EQ down the pinna gain region by a whopping -7dB or so.

I do also use it on the 7Hz Timeless. They have a bump in mid-bass, and the mids are a bit too recessed to me. Also, the treble needed a bit more linearity for my ears. :) Neutron player REALLY does have the absolute best DSP in the business, if you can get past the dated UI (which I quite like actually).
Ive tried EQ in Mango but just for fun. For local files im using Neutron which extracts the best out of the dx300 (no EQ). For streaming im using Amazon HD as i find it on a very similar level to the Tidal Masters. Have had also Qobuz but it has limited library for the music i like.
Exactly the same for me: local = Neutron, and streaming = Amazon HD (I think it's just called Amazon Music now though). I also tried Tidal for a while and found the AI recs to be lacking. Qobuz, I find the same; pretty limited for what I like.

May 17, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #12,662 of 14,593
Tried U12T and Fourté yesterday
Bass extension and slam is better on the Kann Alpha
DX300 is softer all over
But tonight Mest Mk II and let's see
Next all Balanced
Don't forget to actually enjoy it?! :dt880smile::beerchug:

May 17, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #12,664 of 14,593
I generally also like the silver filter, but something about the combination of amp11.2 and that black filter, combined with a medium bore (rather than my normal wide bore) tip, it just sounds amazing. I thought it might smooth out the treble so much that it would sound a bit rolled off, but it really doesn't! It still has the same amount of treble, but just rounds the peaks rather than them being spikey (if that makes sense).

My beloved P1 takes care of that sort of tuning for me. They actually have more overall treble than the IT07, but they are just much better controlled and smooth (planar effect). The only DSP I add for these is about +4dB to 63Hz in the way of a low shelf. It will make you appreciate analog music (real instruments) so very much after listening to these.

I AM thinking of potentially getting the Raptgo Hook-X. I haven't totally made up my mind as of yet, but they seem to be something totally different in the sound department, but yet something I would probably like. The original thought was between those and the P1 Max, but I don't want to rehash the P1 as I think they are perfect the way they are.

The lowest Ohm IEM I have are the Audiosense T800 at a mere 9 Ohms, but they make up for that by only having 90 sensitivity. Still, if I have the DX300 on medium gain, I can set the volume to about 12 to be pretty loud. I CAN say though, that I hear 0 noise on high gain on these. Which is saying a lot (being an all BA set), because they are very revealing.

For me NOS all the way, and on pretty much all head gear I listen to. :) It is also my opinion that the filters make more of an impact on amp12 than they do on amp 11.2, though YMMV.
I have an advice for you- go and grab the Monarchs MkII:) I prefered the Timeless over the Xelentos, IT07 and even the Focals Radiance. But since i have the Monarchs, everything stays in a boxes. Its really hard to describe what makes the Monarchs so special but this is actually the first time in my life when i feel like i reached a TOTL level. The detail, naturalness of the sound (instruments, vocals etc), the tuning, its just stunning with the dx300. In the past ive had a brief try with the Utopias. This sounds like the Utopias in an iem form. Its just plain fantastic.

May 17, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #12,665 of 14,593
I have an advice for you- go and grab the Monarchs MkII:) I prefered the Timeless over the Xelentos, IT07 and even the Focals Radiance. But since i have the Monarchs, everything stays in a boxes. Its really hard to describe what makes the Monarchs so special but this is actually the first time in my life when i feel like i reached a TOTL level. The detail, naturalness of the sound (instruments, vocals etc), the tuning, its just stunning with the dx300. In the past ive had a brief try with the Utopias. This sounds like the Utopias in an iem form. Its just plain fantastic.
I would love to, but ATM my hobby fund is very low, so I will have to settle for mid-tier (but hopefully higher tier sound). I have had my Harley in the shop for a cool $500 fix. I have always wanted to try something from Thieaudio, but the IT07 just pulled at me to buy them (0 regrets from me at this point)... :)

That IS saying something that you think they sound on the level of the Utopias! I'll just have to live vicariously through you until that time... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #12,666 of 14,593
Tried U12T and Fourté yesterday
Bass extension and slam is better on the Kann Alpha
DX300 is softer all over
But tonight Mest Mk II and let's see
Next all Balanced
The dx300 has an organic tuning, the bass is more on a reference side. The AK players have more bass boost but i find them too intimate sounding for my taste. I spent over 2 weeks comparing the AK sp1k to the dx311.2 (my amp12 was in the UK, getting modded). I loved the bass of the sp1k but the soundstage wasnt even close to the dx300. The impression i had was like- the AK a club, more intimate and very nice, personal sound. The dx311.2 was like i opened a window and got smashed by a fresh air. It was like listening a concert. Whatever floats your boat:) We are all right, ist a matter of a preference.

May 17, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #12,667 of 14,593
You may find that one to be the best for you even after testing. I had not really considered them in the past because I LIKE clarity in my IEMs. I'm not a super fan of warm unless they can still offer that clarity while being warm (like the P1 do for me).

IIRC even if you root your DX300 you won't be able to use Wavelet, but the good news is that Neutron works with those auto-EQ profiles. It will even go out and find the database, and all you need do is choose your head gear (just like Wavelet). And, yes I use them for my Sennheiser HD700, and my Hifiman TWS600. Otherwise, I use EQ only when needed. For instance the Rose Technics Maria II earbuds. They are a dual DD earbud, and sound amazing if you EQ down the pinna gain region by a whopping -7dB or so.

I do also use it on the 7Hz Timeless. They have a bump in mid-bass, and the mids are a bit too recessed to me. Also, the treble needed a bit more linearity for my ears. :) Neutron player REALLY does have the absolute best DSP in the business, if you can get past the dated UI (which I quite like actually).

Exactly the same for me: local = Neutron, and streaming = Amazon HD (I think it's just called Amazon Music now though). I also tried Tidal for a while and found the AI recs to be lacking. Qobuz, I find the same; pretty limited for what I like.
"You may find that one to be the best for you even after testing. I had not really considered them in the past because I LIKE clarity in my IEMs. I'm not a super fan of warm unless they can still offer that clarity while being warm (like the P1 do for me)."
Oh man! The EXN is soo clean! And combined with the Monarchs its even cleaner! But smooooth and slightly warmish at the same time.

May 17, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #12,668 of 14,593
"You may find that one to be the best for you even after testing. I had not really considered them in the past because I LIKE clarity in my IEMs. I'm not a super fan of warm unless they can still offer that clarity while being warm (like the P1 do for me)."
Oh man! The EXN is soo clean! And combined with the Monarchs its even cleaner! But smooooth and slightly warmish at the same time.
Sounds like what a really good, powerful tube amp can do... :)

May 17, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #12,669 of 14,593
Sounds like what a really good, powerful tube amp can do... :)
TBH, i believe in transducers firstly. This is the most important part of a chain. When you get a greatly tuned iems/headphones, every good quality source will sound very good with them. Most amps, daps (from a higher level) sound very very similar. What makes your sound good is your iem. Trying to fix your iem/headphone with a better source? It's a dead end. It doesnt make any sense:)

May 17, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #12,670 of 14,593
Speaking of good transducers; all day I have been going old school:

20220505_141725.jpg

May 17, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #12,672 of 14,593
Guys, still impressed with battery life. 5h of continuous playback. Does it even notice?
Yes, and BT is actually a lot more efficient than on any of my other devices. I listened to my TWS at work for about 8 hours the other day, and when I got home I checked the battery. It was 100% amp (of course), and 72% digital... That is amazing if you ask me. :)

May 17, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #12,675 of 14,593
Ive tried EQ in Mango but just for fun. For local files im using Neutron which extracts the best out of the dx300 (no EQ). For streaming im using Amazon HD as i find it on a very similar level to the Tidal Masters. Have had also Qobuz but it has limited library for the music i like.
So you think that neutron works better than the stock mango player? 99.9% of my music are local files, all flacs, some mqa encoded flacs, most of them from Tidal. Others from Deezer and Qobuz back when doublenegative.io was live.

I guess I'll have to check out neutron, closest I've tried is UAPP on my cellphone. The auto eq with wavelet did work nicely there, except when bit perfect was enabled, which I assume is the reason why it probably doesn't work on the DX300. For me, AutoEQ makes some songs sound better, others worse, in general I tend to keep it off but its a nice addition to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back