iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Nov 22, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #8,971 of 14,596
DX300 + Focal Celestee, Clear OG, & Clear MG... All Excellent pairings
20211121_212630_HDR.jpg

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #8,974 of 14,596
I just realized the reason why my buttons sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. It happens in both Android and MangoOS.

Because inside MangoOS, I set the volume wheel to be disabled while screen is off. Somehow that screws the side buttons up. It works randomly, and sometimes pressing the hell out of it for nothing LOL!!

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #8,975 of 14,596
The best amps for the dx300 to date are 11.2 and of course 12. The amp11.2 works the best with the headphones with recessed mids (this amp boosts higher mids a bit so when the headphones have articulated this frequency, it can sound bit harsh and shouty at times). The amp12 has more linear mids, better bass resolution, more treble resolution and is cleaner and has blacker background overall. Ive tested both amps with the Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen this weekend and these phones had better synergy with the amp11.2. The Xelentos on the other hand have way better synergy with the amp12. Im sending back the t5s tomorrow. it was a great experience but the synergy between the Xelentos and the amp12 is something special and i can sacrifice this extra warmth. IBasso, plz give us the amp13 with the staging and separation of the amp12 but warmer. PLZ!

do you have any observations regarding the LO of the 11.2 and 12?

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #8,976 of 14,596
one more question before i order something :)

the jensen pi-2xr goes balanced to unbalanced with, i believe, no signal level change
the jensen pc-2xr goes balanced to unblanced with, i believe, conversion from +4dBm to -10dBm

which would be a better match for the amp12 going to the aux line in on a car stereo system?

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #8,977 of 14,596
It took me a while to be satisfied with the tweaking and tunings, always trying to push the limits of what was and what will possibly be. Dx300 Can benefit with some changes.

Not all parts are created equal, and not all changes can be deemed an upgrade. I took some sweet time and invested more than a bit into the Dx300 system as a whole before it becomes fruitful.

The craziest thing about Ibasso is the same thing that I have found many years ago, the active parts such as Low pass filters and buffers are mostly extremely good, and by going any further will only hurt your pocket more than the performances gained. However, the passive parts can and will change up the performances a bit. As I mentioned, not always better, and better under what references, whose preferences ? So, this is from me and myself. By applying different brands of capacitors, replacing stock tantalum to organic polymer and tantalum polymer. I have observed improvements in the Dx300 overall signatures.

The improvements to my picky standards is that there are better separations, soundstage, details, trebles extensions are better retrieved, clarity and airiness is improved. The one thing during the tuning I noticed is the trait of Cirrus I believe, I can not get it to the signatures of Dx220 or 3Max bass, the neutral and articulations of lower mid bass. The Dx300 always remain somewhat tube like and engaging. However, the fidelity and extensions can be improved. So I also tweaked the Amp modules to voice up and synergies well with this main unit as well as micro dynamic, mid range, inner fidelity, and while many people crave for that tubelike density and transient with the hybrid SS details, extensions, the Dx312EX as a whole system can provide that. The overall sound signature is similar to 2A3 amplifier with HD800s (in the references of my desktop amp), very engaging mid range , emotional vocal with that fidelity and extensions from hybrid SS with wide bandwidth from modern amplifications designs! Once again, the Dx300 is aiming toward a very different crowd with a total different signature preferences. Just as I mentioned above , if the DX312 can be tweaked toward a more sophisticated Tube like system 2A3 tubes, then the Dx300Max can be tweaked to sound like a very high end modern solid state system, which I also believe the DX300Max Titanium is the best at it.

Once again, Ibasso reminded me of why and how I started loving them. Ibasso always utilized the highest quality for the products, especially active components. The voicing of different capacitors are chosen so that it fit Ibasso narrative of what Ibasso aimed for specifically. However, with the progress of components, the vast references of each person, and whom desires to achieve the differences, DIY modifications can provide such satisfactions with Ibasso products easier. It is affordable and fun to tinker with.

Another side notes from my personal side. Since there are not many places to offer the modifications together with Covid happening, despite my best of holding onto the ideas of DIY only for your better gain, I will need to offer my services a little to aid me in earning back what I invested into these mods (time and money) for people in the America. If anyone would like more info, you can email me. This is my attempts to keep myself afloat and keep on progressing with this hobby, where new products are released, and the desire to modifying for the differences, and that I will publish my finding for everyone interests. It has nothing to do with me profiting from this. You probably have seen some other members who were also motivated and loving DIY like I do, ended up giving up the DIY/tweaking/tinkering side, the dark side, just because it can’t be sustainable without good supports…..even when they offer services (a part of this is because people rather paying a lot to support cables rather than real hard technical modifications). Before I am heading down that road, let’s see if I can sustain it a bit better?

Only one thing to keep in mind that if you have this done. The stock modules may or not benefit from this because your player is now different from what Ibasso originally intended it to be

One huge bonus on the Dx300 is that it is dual OS, and with the powerful SOC, it get the benefits from AndroidOS + Neutron. You can run PCM to DSD128 flawlessly, and that changes up the sound signatures a bit, less warmth and Tube like transients with Neutron and even more so with PCM into DSD. Here is the main differences from 3Max, it isn’t as hot as 3Max when doing this5F44FBA4-339E-4290-92D8-245F8215C40D.jpegC86D4592-C289-4911-A678-72661B61C395.jpeg1AAFF835-CF4C-4439-B628-E1ACA0BF1896.jpegF30CE3DE-9B56-4DE4-9F97-C1A3C3BCA2B7.jpeg

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #8,978 of 14,596
It took me a while to be satisfied with the tweaking and tunings, always trying to push the limits of what was and what will possibly be. Dx300 Can benefit with some changes.

Not all parts are created equal, and not all changes can be deemed an upgrade. I took some sweet time and invested more than a bit into the Dx300 system as a whole before it becomes fruitful.

The craziest thing about Ibasso is the same thing that I have found many years ago, the active parts such as Low pass filters and buffers are mostly extremely good, and by going any further will only hurt your pocket more than the performances gained. However, the passive parts can and will change up the performances a bit. As I mentioned, not always better, and better under what references, whose preferences ? So, this is from me and myself. By applying different brands of capacitors, replacing stock tantalum to organic polymer and tantalum polymer. I have observed improvements in the Dx300 overall signatures.

The improvements to my picky standards is that there are better separations, soundstage, details, trebles extensions are better retrieved, clarity and airiness is improved. The one thing during the tuning I noticed is the trait of Cirrus I believe, I can not get it to the signatures of Dx220 or 3Max bass, the neutral and articulations of lower mid bass. The Dx300 always remain somewhat tube like and engaging. However, the fidelity and extensions can be improved. So I also tweaked the Amp modules to voice up and synergies well with this main unit as well as micro dynamic, mid range, inner fidelity, and while many people crave for that tubelike density and transient with the hybrid SS details, extensions, the Dx312EX as a whole system can provide that. The overall sound signature is similar to 2A3 amplifier with HD800s (in the references of my desktop amp), very engaging mid range , emotional vocal with that fidelity and extensions from hybrid SS with wide bandwidth from modern amplifications designs! Once again, the Dx300 is aiming toward a very different crowd with a total different signature preferences. Just as I mentioned above , if the DX312 can be tweaked toward a more sophisticated Tube like system 2A3 tubes, then the Dx300Max can be tweaked to sound like a very high end modern solid state system, which I also believe the DX300Max Titanium is the best at it.

Once again, Ibasso reminded me of why and how I started loving them. Ibasso always utilized the highest quality for the products, especially active components. The voicing of different capacitors are chosen so that it fit Ibasso narrative of what Ibasso aimed for specifically. However, with the progress of components, the vast references of each person, and whom desires to achieve the differences, DIY modifications can provide such satisfactions with Ibasso products easier. It is affordable and fun to tinker with.

Another side notes from my personal side. Since there are not many places to offer the modifications together with Covid happening, despite my best of holding onto the ideas of DIY only for your better gain, I will need to offer my services a little to aid me in earning back what I invested into these mods (time and money) for people in the America. If anyone would like more info, you can email me. This is my attempts to keep myself afloat and keep on progressing with this hobby, where new products are released, and the desire to modifying for the differences, and that I will publish my finding for everyone interests. It has nothing to do with me profiting from this. You probably have seen some other members who were also motivated and loving DIY like I do, ended up giving up the DIY/tweaking/tinkering side, the dark side, just because it can’t be sustainable without good supports…..even when they offer services (a part of this is because people rather paying a lot to support cables rather than real hard technical modifications). Before I am heading down that road, let’s see if I can sustain it a bit better?

Only one thing to keep in mind that if you have this done. The stock modules may or not benefit from this because your player is now different from what Ibasso originally intended it to be

One huge bonus on the Dx300 is that it is dual OS, and with the powerful SOC, it get the benefits from AndroidOS + Neutron. You can run PCM to DSD128 flawlessly, and that changes up the sound signatures a bit, less warmth and Tube like transients with Neutron and even more so with PCM into DSD. Here is the main differences from 3Max, it isn’t as hot as 3Max when doing this5F44FBA4-339E-4290-92D8-245F8215C40D.jpegC86D4592-C289-4911-A678-72661B61C395.jpeg1AAFF835-CF4C-4439-B628-E1ACA0BF1896.jpegF30CE3DE-9B56-4DE4-9F97-C1A3C3BCA2B7.jpeg
WOW

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #8,979 of 14,596
Well, I have no skills for modding electronics but if you want a fantastic pairing with the stock DX312, the Meze Liric sounds phenomenal! To me it sounds like a mini Empyrean but with more tightly managed bass. It also has more air and spacing between the instruments. Very musical!
As usual, the above is IMHO and YMMV...
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #8,982 of 14,596
Dx312 is a great portable system to have for sure
So is the benefit that I can power some of the more demanding headphones? Or was there some noticeable change in the sound? Does Amp 12 deplete the battery life of the DX300 faster than Amp 11 when listening for a few hours?

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #8,983 of 14,596
So is the benefit that I can power some of the more demanding headphones? Or was there some noticeable change in the sound? Does Amp 12 deplete the battery life of the DX300 faster than Amp 11 when listening for a few hours?
Nah, more than Amp11 but very negligible. It draws probably %5 faster. I run HD800S/820 much better with Amp12 than Amp11

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #8,984 of 14,596
Finally decided to pull the trigger on a iBasso DX300 to go with my iFi Audio Micro iDSD Signature and a pair of Focal Clears. Figured it was time to step it up and move past using my Pixel as a DAP. Thanksgiving just got a whole lot better.
How do you connect the dx300 to the iFi?

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #8,985 of 14,596
Does the DX300 support ReplayGain? I forgot if it ever did, I sold mine unfortunately because I was in need of funds at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back