iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jul 11, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #7,456 of 14,617
I have downloaded some MQA test files (http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html) and indeed, Neutron detects it as MQA and plays it at 384 kHz.

However, Neutron detects Tidal MQA files as FLAC and play them at 48 kHz, while UAPP and Mango do detect them as MQA and play them at 384 kHz...

What?

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #7,457 of 14,617
At the moment I am testing the Fiio LC-RE cable on the Mest MK II. After the first few songs I have to say straight away that I like it better than the PW M2, which is included as standard. My first impression was clearer with more details and deeper bass. Next week I'll get the Satinaudio Athena. Wait and see what happens then. I am so curious
Interesting! I've got the Fiio LC-RE cable too, but unfortunately mine is in MMCX, so I can't test it with MEST Mk II.
But it's currently on my Solaris 2020, where I really enjoy it :)
Looking forward to hearing both these IEMs on my new AMP12, and let's see what changes that brings :)

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #7,459 of 14,617
Interesting! I've got the Fiio LC-RE cable too, but unfortunately mine is in MMCX, so I can't test it with MEST Mk II.
But it's currently on my Solaris 2020, where I really enjoy it :)
Looking forward to hearing both these IEMs on my new AMP12, and let's see what changes that brings :)
Do you use the MK I? If so, Amp 12 brings a lot. Solaris 2020 unfortunately I have nothing to say. But the Mest MK II benefits from the Amp 12. My Dorado 2020 too, by the way. For them I actually use the Fiio LC-RE cable. I only connected it to the Mest MKII with adapters out of curiosity and boredom. Ok you can hear the details better and the voices are nice. But somehow the whole sound is a little brighter. With some recordings, it can be annoying after a good 8 hours. The original cable is overall smoother and therefore better for very long listening sessions in my opinion. But I would like to share with you my experiences with the Satin Audio Athena which I will get next week. I find the original cable a bit stiff.

Jul 11, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #7,463 of 14,617
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #7,465 of 14,617
I have downloaded some MQA test files (http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html) and indeed, Neutron detects it as MQA and plays it at 384 kHz.

However, Neutron detects Tidal MQA files as FLAC and play them at 48 kHz, while UAPP and Mango do detect them as MQA and play them at 384 kHz...

What?
It unfold mine fully too,that was months ago, I didn't think anything of it until I found these post today.
I suspect it is the files from Tidal. I would bet that they are only capable of 44 or 48, but Mango and UAPP see them as authentic MQA and unfold them as much as possible. So I'm thinking that you are not hearing the files in Mango and UAPP at 384, but are just being reported as such.

Think of it like a blanket. You can unfold it as many times as you want within its own size constraints, but I can only use up an amount of space in/on that blanket equal to my overall size, no more, no less. Mango and UAPP are looking at the blanket size, and Neutron is looking at my size to report to the system.

Upsampling a 320 mp3 into a higher bitrate, let's say 24/96 won't make the mp3 sound any better, but when converted into a FLAC, it will indeed show as 24/96 when playing it, because for all intents and purposes it is effectively 24/96, even though we know the original is not 24/96. At that point, it is really looking at the footprint of the file or tag and simply reporting what it is.

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong, and I need to start reading sound science more.

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #7,466 of 14,617
20210712_034453.jpg

DX300 as roon endpoint work flawlessly!

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #7,468 of 14,617
Which took other flagships Years to implement :wink: winks **
Is it that? Or is it that Roon specifically calls for the android stack and can't be bypassed. That would mean it is limited to 24/48. AFAIK the latest A&K FW updates are making them "Roon Certified" as a Roon endpoint, apparently bypassing the android limitation. I think they are the only ones with a DAP that can do that ATM. It was my assumption that any android device could be used as and endpoint, just that the sound files were resampled.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #7,470 of 14,617

Users who are viewing this thread

Back