iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
May 4, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,836 of 14,593
Well whaddya know. The case I ordered on Amazon to come from China that was due to take a month arrived today. Just one week.

May 4, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #5,838 of 14,593
@Paul - iBasso is there any sort of timing update, even if rough, on the potential release of the dedicated LO module?
From what I have seen it looks like a month off but that is a guess, based on statements here.

May 5, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #5,839 of 14,593
May 6, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #5,842 of 14,593
Love this DAP. DX300 & 64 audio A18 - nice pair

0001.jpg

May 6, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #5,844 of 14,593
Hey all, just wanted to share some impressions of the DX300. I’ve been pining for a new DAP - an upgrade to my trusty DX160 - for some time, and this was what I decided on. I generally haven't done source impressions or reviews before, so go easy on me.

D4A84870-7748-4C38-B912-205AD9D2B499.jpeg
55392E2E-7806-4ADB-86DE-6267D809E4FF.jpeg

33E51262-8A09-4CA2-AABD-047106B23172.jpeg
1E2A4665-D2DC-4070-ADF3-A45EAB84FAA1.jpeg

Physical impressions: It’s a chonker. Just to illustrate, it’s my iPhone X stacked twice over and with a larger screen than most smartphones I’ve seen to boot. The weight isn't so bad though and, from memory, it’s not quite as heavy as the Sony WM1Z that I held a while back. I’ll mostly use the DX300 around the house or store it in my backpack if I’m on the go. Interface is snappy and responsive, a huge jump over any other DAP that I’ve played with. The case it comes with sucks. It brushes up against the wheel, slightly obscures the LED strip at the top, and makes the buttons on the side prone to accidental activation. At least it's a snug fit unlike some early runs, I guess.

Disclaimer: I do not hear major differences between sources even if I would definitely attest to differences existing. I do not care about burn-in. Your mileage might vary and all that. For reference, this DX300 has the Amp11 MK.II and listening was done off of the 3.5mm jack with my 64 Audio U12t.

Now for the sound impressions. The DX300, to my ears, presents a south of neutral sound that has a pronounced thickness to the bass and midrange regions. It is a more natural, smooth listen; perhaps not "lifelike" but with pleasing timbre and a good sense of authenticity. As a basis of comparison, I will point to its younger brother, the DX160. I hear the DX160 as being generally tilted more toward the treble region for a brighter, leaner presentation. I’ve grown increasingly critical of the quality of said treble; the timbre sounds overly plasticky. By contrast, the DX300 maintains good treble presence, but seems smoother, less scratchy. Bass on the DX300 is also rich and warm, yet maintains respectable nuance. By comparison, the DX160's bass sounds quite hollow and decays quicker. The juxtaposition between these two DAPs’ respective sound signatures is quite interesting; the DX300 is not what I would’ve wanted if I was hoping for a straight upgrade to the DX160. But I’m not complaining: It's a pretty big jump for my preferences.

Of course, you'll want to know about the intangibles. Interestingly, I do hear a slight blunting of transient attack to the DX300’s midrange not unlike my U12t. Decay is also smoother than I would’ve expected (using the default filter) and noticeably less “etched” than what I hear off of the DX160. Textural nuance - maybe transient weight? - has seen a jump accordingly. Again, there is a general sense of the DX300 not sounding much like an iBasso DAP, but certainly not for the worst in my opinion. Indeed, what stands out most to me are the DX300’s dynamics. Not necessarily in sheer dynamic contrast, mind you, but rather in intensity. The DX300 has excellent macrodynamic punch, although I’d hesitate to give a relative assessment as my experience with high-end DAPs is rather limited. Staging on the DX300 is also quite open with considerable depth and layering, easily besting the A&K SP1000M I have on-hand. I think the biggest bust here would be that I can still hear the Andro 2020 hissing slightly off of the DX300. Finicky little green bois, sigh.

Anyhoo, I'm in the honeymoon phase with this thing for now, so we'll see how long that lasts. At the very least, I can say the DX300's a pretty sweet DAP as long as you're okay with sacrificing a substantial amount of pocket real-estate.

May 7, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #5,845 of 14,593
Someone asked iBasso about the latency when using USB from PC in DAC mode didn't they? Was there an answer?

I'm noticing a 30ms delay. Need like a "performance" mode that cuts that right down.

May 7, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #5,846 of 14,593
Received my DX300 a couple of days ago, just charging it for the first time and I am having an issue. The battery for analog it at 100%, but the other battery is refusing to charge. When I connect the cable it says charging, but then after a few seconds it says it cannot charge. Am I doing something wrong?

May 7, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #5,847 of 14,593
Received my DX300 a couple of days ago, just charging it for the first time and I am having an issue. The battery for analog it at 100%, but the other battery is refusing to charge. When I connect the cable it says charging, but then after a few seconds it says it cannot charge. Am I doing something wrong?
I would play it, run the battery down all the way and then charge it.

May 7, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #5,848 of 14,593
Nah your charger might not be providing enough current search this thread for working chargers

May 7, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #5,849 of 14,593
Nah your charger might not be providing enough current search this thread for working chargers
I just charged my DX300 off of my MacBook Pro. I would guess that the battery needs to be formed. I know that sometimes a higher amp output charger can sometimes kickstart the charging but as mentioned, I have also found that the low current output of a computer can work.

May 8, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #5,850 of 14,593
Someone asked iBasso about the latency when using USB from PC in DAC mode didn't they? Was there an answer?

I'm noticing a 30ms delay. Need like a "performance" mode that cuts that right down.
The only answer from iBasso I've seen regarding the latency issue on another forum was...
“We are sorry, have no fix, it is a Audio device”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back