iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #5,386 of 14,593
I MUST be able to surf the web and read my head Fi thread, check my email and social media accounts while listening to my music files and with the Dx300 I now can. You pay for what you get; Bells and Whistles :)
20210328_185221.jpg

Hahaha... well I am only expand DX300 to TV or radio streaming, Social media check...
HBO Go / Max need to install APK manually, hmm prob later, just enjoying and learn cooking... lol

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #5,387 of 14,593
well I am only expand DX300 to TV or radio streaming, Social media check...
HBO Go / Max need to install APK manually, hmm prob later, just enjoying and learn cooking... lol
Well, 1200 bucks you should at least have an OLED display like many mid Teri smartphones do. 😛

My point was less is more. I don't want to have an attention span of 30 secs anymore and all that stuff I've cut down on. If I watch a movie I leave my phone in another room so I'm undisturbed for 2 hrs. I don't have any notifications on and leave my smartphone across the bedroom charging when in bed but I do have some DAPs by my bedside for late night listening. I'm less anxious and not as easily bored this way. Also with my head fi mantra now less active, more listening. That's all, I'm sure dx300 is everything it's cracked up to be for those who love it. It's just not my cup of tea. I don't see any benefits of having a DAC that can do everything a smartphone can and the social proof that goes with that.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #5,388 of 14,593
I am at the border of reordering DX300 again.
Can someone please confirm that UApp is supporting full unfold (up to 368khz) meanwhile?
Thx!

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #5,389 of 14,593
Can someone please confirm that UApp is supporting full unfold (up to 368khz) meanwhile?
Thx!

Based on the UAPP display and iBasso status bar display, UAPP does not support this for Tidal streaming.

I can't check for downloaded MQA (I don't have any downloaded MQA).

I don't think UAPP sounds noticeably different/worse/better though (as compared to downloaded Tidal music through the Tidal app). It's very similar.

Also with my head fi mantra now less active, more listening.
Okay then.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #5,390 of 14,593
Based on the UAPP display and iBasso status bar display, UAPP does not support this for Tidal streaming.

I can't check for downloaded MQA (I don't have any downloaded MQA).

I don't think UAPP sounds noticeably different/worse/better though (as compared to downloaded Tidal music through the Tidal app). It's very similar.

Okay then.
Thx!
Back then when I had the DX300 in February and now when using different DACs I found UApp to have noticibly more revealing SQ compared to laid back tuning of Tidal native app.
It could actually close the gap between the more revealing DX Max tuning and DX300 a bit more for songs you d like that to happen.
Actually my main use case would be live streaming Tidal.
For anything else I d switch to native Mango...

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #5,391 of 14,593
Thx!
Back then when I had the DX300 in February and now when using different DACs I found UApp to have noticibly more revealing SQ compared to laid back tuning of Tidal native app.
It could actually close the gap between the more revealing DX Max tuning and DX300 a bit more for songs you d like that to happen.
Actually my main use case would be live streaming Tidal.
For anything else I d switch to native Mango...

Hmm. I'll try it again later.

Note that my impression is from the DX300 with Amp 11 MK1 LO, to C9, to Utopia.

I did read your impression (and several others) as to how UAPP is superior in various cases, and because I'm going to get Tidal with FREE DATA from May, I bought UAPP... which resulted in my impression above.

I've corresponded with the developer, who said that MQA is not supported yet on the DX300 (on UAPP), but he also said had one on his desk, instructions from iBasso as to how to add support, and that he was hoping to work on support this week.

---

I agree that Mango OS sound quality is significantly better than Android. I even considered buying CDs of all the music I've discovered on Tidal. However, I decided it was too painful - and free data for Tidal is awesome!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #5,392 of 14,593
Hmm. I'll try it again later.

Note that my impression is from the DX300 with Amp 11 MK1 LO, to C9, to Utopia.

I did read your impression (and several others) as to how UAPP is superior in various cases, and because I'm going to get Tidal with FREE DATA from May, I bought UAPP... which resulted in my impression above.

I've corresponded with the developer, who said that MQA is not supported yet on the DX300 (on UAPP), but he also said had one on his desk, instructions from iBasso as to how to add support, and that he was hoping to work on support this week.

---

I agree that Mango OS sound quality is significantly better than Android. I even considered buying CDs of all the music I've discovered on Tidal. However, I decided it was too painful - and free data for Tidal is awesome!
Oh no, reading about C9 since Vince posted the first time about it is always like a stitch for me as this is definitely a huge improvement (which I am not affording yet).
But doing A-Bs with/without UApp in a regular setup without extra amping I find the difference very striking, actually as much as comparing 2 different DACs/DAPs

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #5,393 of 14,593
Oh no, reading about C9 since Vince posted the first time about it is always like a stitch for me as this is definitely a huge improvement (which I am not affording yet).
But doing A-Bs in a regular setup without extra amping I find the difference very striking, actually as much as comparing 2 different DACs/DAPs

Erh. Yes.

Sorry everyone, but I don't even use the DX300 without the C9 (and I'm quite shocked @Whitigir , who has a C9, likes the AMP 11 MK2 so much that he's fine using the DX300 alone without his C9).

I planned on using the DX3000 alone with my IEMs at least that when I bought it (IEMs are 21 ohm and 119 dB @ 1mW - but the C9 is so much better that I have to do this nowadays):

654DF435-BD21-4736-851F-F32880D14003.jpeg

I should also say that my UAPP impression has me wondering whether:

1. My ears are broken.
2. Tidal MQA is a scam.
3. DX300 status bar display, UAPP display, AND the UAPP developer are all wrong and actually UAPP does support the unfold.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #5,394 of 14,593
Erh. Yes.

Sorry everyone, but I don't even use the DX300 without the C9 (and I'm quite shocked @Whitigir , who has a C9, likes the AMP 11 MK2 so much that he's fine using the DX300 alone without his C9).

I planned on using the DX3000 alone with my IEMs at least that when I bought it (IEMs are 21 ohm and 119 dB @ 1mW - but the C9 is so much better that I have to do this nowadays):

654DF435-BD21-4736-851F-F32880D14003.jpeg

I should also say that my UAPP impression has me wondering whether:

1. My ears are broken.
2. Tidal MQA is a scam.
3. DX300 status bar display, UAPP display, AND the UAPP developer are all wrong and actually UAPP does support the unfold.
:thumbsup: :smiley: also have to say my impressions are from February, who knows what happened in the meantime. My current live impressions are just on my (though high fidele) compromise dongle L&P W2 connected to my Android Mototola phone :wink:

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #5,396 of 14,593
Oh I have no doubt at all that UAPP would help with a normal android phone, just from the perspective of android being pretty awful about audio.
I d love to confirm, guess you mean that 44khz downsampling issue, right?
I d love to stick to my iPhone, though with my W2 dongle which is depending on output power from its source player as its lacking an own battery, it seems iPhones are limited even though they play bit perfect naturally.
That's why the results are much better there on Android phones with more output voltage.
That's unfortunate a bit for me as my main private infrastructure is Apple-based

But that's all a bit off-topic - am curious when UApp support will be there for DX300

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #5,397 of 14,593
I d love to confirm, guess you mean that 44khz downsampling issue, right?
Yep.

I d love to stick to my iPhone, though with my W2 dongle which is depending on output power from its source player as its lacking an own battery, it seems iPhones are limited even though they play bit perfect naturally.
"W2 draws 110-120mA and iPhone has a limitation of 100mA to support external devices. So, when using W2 with iPhone 11 or 12 and W2 volume is over 70, it draws more current than iPhone allows and volume gets choppy and cuts off, even with that white cable. We suggest you set your iPhone to max volume, set W2 gain high and lower W2 volume below 70. That is when there are no issues with iPhone. Android phones and windows laptops don't have this issue. Only iPhones.”

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...e-update-info-on-post-1.949448/#post-16031862

Maybe add a C9 (or other amp)?

That's why the results are much better there on Android phones with more output voltage.
That's unfortunate a bit for me as my main private infrastructure is Apple-based

But that's all a bit off-topic - am curious when UApp support will be there for DX300

Well, hopefully the developer adds full support soon! I did keep (didn't refund) that purchase.

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #5,398 of 14,593
Yep.

"W2 draws 110-120mA and iPhone has a limitation of 100mA to support external devices. So, when using W2 with iPhone 11 or 12 and W2 volume is over 70, it draws more current than iPhone allows and volume gets choppy and cuts off, even with that white cable. We suggest you set your iPhone to max volume, set W2 gain high and lower W2 volume below 70. That is when there are no issues with iPhone. Android phones and windows laptops don't have this issue. Only iPhones.”

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...e-update-info-on-post-1.949448/#post-16031862

Maybe add a C9 (or other amp)?

Well, hopefully the developer adds full support soon! I did keep (didn't refund) that purchase.
maybe an alternative like mini dongle plus C9 and no additional DAP, will ask in the W2 forum :wink:
But I can imagine that with DX300 in-between it scales up even higher nevertheless

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #5,399 of 14,593
The FPGA in Master mode in theory would bypass Androids default 48-hertz native clocks regardless what format and sampling rates your files are in. The files are converted again once it hits the DAC outputs. That causes noise/jitter issue because of an additional conversion. This is caveat of using Andriod. With Linux or Ios there is no such default sampling rate.

Wait a minute, what does the FPGA have anything to do with the 48 kHz (not hertz) resampling rate, which is anyway bypassed by the iBasso implementation? Resampling to 48 kHz is not a new thing in Linux kernel based systems - even on desktop Linux (Gnome, KDE) PulseAudio by default does resample - PulseAudio is now replaced by PipeWire and it also does resampling.

I am not an Android programmer (but I did Linux kernel development mainly for video including systems running algorithms on FPGA), but for sure all PipeWire, PulseAudio and the Android audio infrastructure sit on ALSA, which probably goes through the I2S driver of SD660, and which then goes through the FPGA, ending up at the door of the DAC and I don't see how you bind the resampling of the Android audio infrastructure (which is anyway by-passed) to the FPGA arbiter.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...irmware-2-6-2021.943221/page-58#post-16061916

It also takes a workload off since the audio functioning is all pretty much run by the Arm?? FPGA there’s many benefits like no Crosstalk interference and the firmware function much better. More snappier and with better results.

The FPGA replaces the XMOS chip and does jitter correction - so I don't see any DSP being done there. But I wonder how did you relate the crosstalk to a digital component. Crosstalk interference is an analog domain problem, not digital which the FPGA is, so how do you expect the FPGA to solve interference? And how did you come to the conclusion of "much better", "snappier" firmware functionality, because at this level of a high performance controller, I don't see the possibility of a human brain detecting the difference.

NVIDIA chips are GPU and primarily used for video or gaming functionity as its main intent however the software maker made reversed enigeered it to make useful with Audio and his software much like the Chinese Enigeers started using FPGA.

Reverse engineer? What? I do CUDA programming which has an open programming interface based on C/C++ and anyone can download the CUDA SDK and start programming. There is absolutely no reverse engineering needed - even more AMD has ROCm which supports CUDA, compiled via LLVM.

personally, the Dx300 is a great design however, the extra bells and whistles for me isn’t useful. All I care about is the audio quality which I know is top notch on Dx300 but there are a lot great choices these days at a cheaper price that can do an equal, worse or better job than the Dx300.

What is extra bells and whistles? DX300 is a pure audio device. In another post you mention OLED display and complain about bells and whistles? I had other "portable" DAPs, and I have not so far seen anything driving my T+A Solitaire P and P-SE as good as DX300. It is very powerful and can drive such headphones to very good levels for a DAP. Let us know what those "a lot of great choices" are, so that we also can benefit from your list of great choices.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5,400 of 14,593
Wait a minute, what does the FPGA have anything to do with the 48 kHz (not hertz) resampling rate, which is anyway bypassed by the iBasso implementation? Resampling to 48 kHz is not a new thing in Linux kernel based systems - even on desktop Linux (Gnome, KDE) PulseAudio by default does resample - PulseAudio is now replaced by PipeWire and it also does resampling.

I am not an Android programmer (but I did Linux kernel development mainly for video including systems running algorithms on FPGA), but for sure all PipeWire, PulseAudio and the Android audio infrastructure sit on ALSA, which probably goes through the I2S driver of SD660, and which then goes through the FPGA, ending up at the door of the DAC and I don't see how you bind the resampling of the Android audio infrastructure (which is anyway by-passed) to the FPGA arbiter.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...irmware-2-6-2021.943221/page-58#post-16061916

The FPGA replaces the XMOS chip and does jitter correction - so I don't see any DSP being done there. But I wonder how did you relate the crosstalk to a digital component. Crosstalk interference is an analog domain problem, not digital which the FPGA is, so how do you expect the FPGA to solve interference? And how did you come to the conclusion of "much better", "snappier" firmware functionality, because at this level of a high performance controller, I don't see the possibility of a human brain detecting the difference.

Reverse engineer? What? I do CUDA programming which has an open programming interface based on C/C++ and anyone can download the CUDA SDK and start programming. There is absolutely no reverse engineering needed - even more AMD has ROCm which supports CUDA, compiled via LLVM.

What is extra bells and whistles? DX300 is a pure audio device. In another post you mention OLED display and complain about bells and whistles? I had other "portable" DAPs, and I have not so far seen anything driving my T+A Solitaire P and P-SE as good as DX300. It is very powerful and can drive such headphones to very good levels for a DAP. Let us know what those "a lot of great choices" are, so that we also can benefit from your list of great choices.
Ironically, your questions are linked with UAPP in this video. Android by default doesn't allow for exact sampling rate but thanks for minor (useless) correction from Hz to Khz.

FPGA is a field programming chip that allows for the pure music that bypasses and isn't affected by android default settings so the DAC internals can play the files without android. So, I'm assuming MangoOS runs on Linux or it's coding language??! However anything you stream will go on your dx300 will go through the 48 khz default regardless but UAPP does allow for you to switch it the 44 khz. It's a pact (I suppose Google made with the Record Companies??)

Desktop dacs use Xmos different system entirely from an Android mobile DAP and is better in my opinion especially if the USB has its own independent power supply that doesn't use the USB 2.0 for both.

I'm out. Enjoy your dx300!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back