iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 27, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #5,086 of 14,593
Mar 27, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #5,087 of 14,593
Awesome post. Context, criteria, and pairing(s) are super-important to the overall evaluation of gear not only in terms of sonics, but also ergonomics/user-experience and value.

In addition, most gear these days (except the knock-offs, fakes and the ocasional 'stinker' are pretty good, and can be skillgully combined to make very good sound. The differences are often small quantitatively, but large qualitatively. Putting together a system that sounds good takes some work and some luck (not to mention some $$$). When you find 'it', count your blessings and stop. YOU WIN!

It also helps to pay attention and determine what you actually want/like, and go for it. I'm a coffee home-roaster, and have been for about 15 years. I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself reading flavor descriptions of unroasted beans from vendors, thinking- ew that one doesnt sound like something I'd like then realizing that I've tried and really liked it... I would not be surprise to discover that many audiophiles say they like one thing, while they actually like something different. (Similar, but different-- like warm vs soft, or vice versa, detailed vs actually resolving, big soundstage vs phase-y cross-tsalk tricks. etc....

Everything matters, dap, cable, iem, tips, genre, file quality, and recording quality. And - does it sound the eay it is supposed to sound, or just the way you WANT it to sound. Not judging-I swear! Just asking...
These are very good points. Nonetheless, there are, unfortunately, instances where people have to decide based on descriptions that are "on paper", so to speak, as for various reasons they have no access to the equipment they consider buying nor can they find parallels between the equipment paired to the DAP and their own. Hence, although probably (or most likely) inaccurate, generic statements about, e.g. sound quality/signature, have their place too, if taken with a pinch of salt. Perhaps not so much as between such close contestants as the DX300 and R8, but other times they can be useful.

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #5,088 of 14,593
Decisions under uncertainty are tricky and difficult, not to mention nerve-wracking. I am highy risk-averse while also quite impulsive--try living eith that combo :gs1000smile:

That said, find vendors you trust whoo have good return policies, and chose wisely. There's always the buy both and try to beat the monthly cycle on your credit card (takes some planning).

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #5,089 of 14,593
Did you come to these conclusions while listening to dx300 in Mango Os or Android?
Honestly i was never a fan of how Mango sounds, so android.

Interesting. Well I would have to say having compared them both I do not agree with you and price not mattering one bit consider the DX300 to be the better of the two daps. Soundstage if you weren’t getting a huge soundstage with the DX 300 and something was definitely wrong. Another disagreement would be the lows to the highs I’m sorry but I cannot agree with you at all.

Well thats just what i was hearing on my LX. Mind you i owned both for a good while and had plenty of time to compare them.
Also i never said dx300 has narrow stage. Its very impressive. But R8 has and edge for sure.
Dx300 tuning is focusing on lower treble and is rolling off higher up.
Dx300 has more quantity and punch tuned in. But R8 utilizes W9 on LX better giving that deep extended rumble that ibasso cant reach.
Dx300 however has one of best mids ive heard. Really loved it and R8 need tweaking eq and tips to adjust to it.

As it stands now i without a doubt think R8 technically has edge. However technicalities are not the only judging factor. There are many things that can change the way we hear music. And i unfortunately only have 2 pairs of iems so might not be best comparer.
Just said what i hear. And i am not really much surprised that you disagree with me. Actually im surprised youre the only one responding in disagreement.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #5,090 of 14,593
Honestly i was never a fan of how Mango sounds, so android.

Well thats just what i was hearing on my LX. Mind you i owned both for a good while and had plenty of time to compare them.
Also i never said dx300 has narrow stage. Its very impressive. But R8 has and edge for sure.
Dx300 tuning is focusing on lower treble and is rolling off higher up.
Dx300 has more quantity and punch tuned in. But R8 utilizes W9 on LX better giving that deep extended rumble that ibasso cant reach.
Dx300 however has one of best mids ive heard. Really loved it and R8 need tweaking eq and tips to adjust to it.

As it stands now i without a doubt think R8 technically has edge. However technicalities are not the only judging factor. There are many things that can change the way we hear music. And i unfortunately only have 2 pairs of iems so might not be best comparer.
Just said what i hear. And i am not really much surprised that you disagree with me. Actually im surprised youre the only one responding in disagreement.
The others are listening to music. :^)

And if you have to use some EQ on the R8, you could do the same on the 300 but then, for me, I don't hear a need on the DX300. What I listen to is live music, enjoy it and listen to the timbre, nuances etc., and for me, The DX300 does this better, getting to that "real" sound, but they are both very, very good. And what ever makes you happy is what you should go with. After all, it is the music and the convenience of getting there.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #5,091 of 14,593
anyone have compare these with wm1a running mr walkman firmware?

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #5,092 of 14,593
The others are listening to music. :^)

And if you have to use some EQ on the R8, you could do the same on the 300 but then, for me, I don't hear a need on the DX300. What I listen to is live music, enjoy it and listen to the timbre, nuances etc., and for me, The DX300 does this better, getting to that "real" sound, but they are both very, very good. And what ever makes you happy is what you should go with. After all, it is the music and the convenience of getting there.
Haha yeh music works too.

Unfortunately you cant EQ dap to extend into FR it cant produce can you. Its not about quantity.

But i absolutely agree that dx300 presents sound more natural. Especially if you are listening to live music.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #5,097 of 14,593
So far so good here. About 20hrs in and loving this thing. Soundstage is great. I stay on high gain balanced and prefer filter 3 for settings. Recently got the ej07 to put in the mix.
Loving it too,just put a schitt load of DSD on a Samsung T5 1tb portable ssd since I use different DAPs for different occasions and the DX300 handles it like a champ it's simply the GOAT

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #5,100 of 14,593
It’s not a subtle pop either . It’s a loud pop . Really annoying
I remember a different context (Shanling M0 or so) that some gapless play mode in Tidal could cause popping noises when switching different bit rates because of insufficient cache implementation. Switching off gapless play mode was told to solve it but could be a different story with R6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back