iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #4,651 of 14,593
Mar 5, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #4,652 of 14,593
Yes, subjective indeed. And to that, I do not agree with you. I base a lot of what I hear on natural sounds and live sounds of music and to me, the DX300, overall does a better job and I prefer the speed and UI.
Cool man, I wasn't seeking your approval. Sound is subjective, if you like it enjoy, I am not here to try to convince anyone otherwise.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #4,653 of 14,593
I've been looking at a ton of reviews as I've wanted to get into the DAP arena, but it seems like an even more subjective topic than headphones :frowning2:

The iBasso DX300 was one of the shortlist, but I could always double sticky tape my Chord Mojo to my iPhone case and save myself a lot of money. I've had a few recommendations, including this iBasso but still undecided.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #4,654 of 14,593
I just received my DX300 today, and I'm quite happy with it. The case that came with my unit fits perfectly, and I'm really picky about cases. They fixed quite a few things that bugged me about the 220/220Max (and I adored the MAX). The USB-DAC mode seems much less flaky that the previous devices, and works flawlessly for me on my iPad and Mac. Youtube/videos work just as smooth as my cellphone, and everything in the UI just seems more smooth and polished.

Random question. If I'm using the EQ, is it "active" if I'm using the device as a USB-DAC through Mango? I assume it does?

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,655 of 14,593
Cool man, I wasn't seeking your approval. Sound is subjective, if you like it enjoy, I am not here to try to convince anyone otherwise.
Right, never even thought you were or of anyones. I have Swiss watches very nice and I enjoy them but better than a few others I have that are not Swiss, no. But they are divers watches, so they have that. lol Again, I have opened the DX300 and it is made very well inside and everything is very well machined so because it is a different shape and size than the 8, means little to me that the 8 would be better made. But again, enjoy what you have, as that is what is important.

---

Does anyone listen to Greg Brown? I listen to him a lot and he sounds great on the 300, well the Max as well but the voice is so fine on the 300.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #4,656 of 14,593
I love the voice representation of the dx300, especially for my Sein. HD800S.

But I had 2 friends that hated my dx300, specifically for how it represented the voices on their gear.

Polarizing. But I feel like the dx300 would fit more people for the musical approach.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #4,657 of 14,593
I'm very amused at the reference to rolex as being "well built" as a watch.

Nothing wrong with rolex but it's in the same category as the Apple Watch - it's built for use and not artistry.

Look into the "big 4" (patek, AP, vc, lange) - heck even some aspects of Grand Seiko (most obvious is dial furniture) for a watches' watch. This isn't even considering the top independents (e.g. Philippe Dufour).

Anyway, back to the topic, I've demoed (a demo) M8. It's painfully slow and hence basically unusable for tidal. Same for SP2K. There are tuning differences but nothing serious.

Of course, consider a hiby R8 or R6 2020 too.

I guess you can consider the M8 if you're just listening to local files.

For better sound, just add a cayin C9 and the result is clearly superior (certainly vs M8 alone or SP2k alone).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #4,658 of 14,593
I've been looking at a ton of reviews as I've wanted to get into the DAP arena, but it seems like an even more subjective topic than headphones :frowning2:

Definitely.

I generally would not suggest you buy anything without a demo, if you already have a mojo.

I suggest adding an amp instead (but also demo that first).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #4,659 of 14,593
Currently, I've been using a rubber band (not sure of the proper name) that many used for mobile stacks but so tempting to get a DAP. I also have a Chord Hugo 2, but that's way too big for transporting so I use it as my desktop DAC (desktop mode). I looked at the Sony WM1A as it has nice battery life, but I will do some more digging on a few DAPs I had recommended, the iBasso DX300 being one of them and a few A&K DAPs. The biggest issue right now is I love how the Chord Mojo sounds with my CFA IEM's and my AEON Closed when traveling.

@xand, I see you have the Cayin C9. I'm assuming from the photo you use both together; that's another stand-alone amp I've been looking at but that price. I had thought about that exact stack replacing my Chord DAC/amps and running with the iBasso DX300 and the C9 for desktop-like power.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #4,660 of 14,593
@xand, I see you have the Cayin C9. I'm assuming from the photo you use both together;

Yes. I had planned to use the DX300 alone with my ciems but the C9 improvement is such that I only use them together now.

that's another stand-alone amp I've been looking at but that price.
If it helps, apparently 800+ have been sold already - which is quite shocking.

I had thought about that exact stack replacing my Chord DAC/amps and running with the iBasso DX300 and the C9 for desktop-like power.
I think there's a chance, but you'd better demo.

One big reason I picked dx300 was to stream - Android 9 is old, but the competition is using Android 7 (M8) or worse (SP2K "sideloading").

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #4,661 of 14,593
I'm very amused at the reference to rolex as being "well built" as a watch.

Nothing wrong with rolex but it's in the same category as the Apple Watch - it's built for use and not artistry.

Look into the "big 4" (patek, AP, vc, lange) - heck even some aspects of Grand Seiko (most obvious is dial furniture) for a watches' watch. This isn't even considering the top independents (e.g. Philippe Dufour).
In fairness to Rolex they are technical innovators who even have their own foundry. Sure I'd rather own a Lange 1 than a Datejust and am hardly about to compare their watches to those of someone like Roger Smith, but considering Rolex produce something like 800k watches a year they obviously can't sit there grinding every bezel by hand.

I totally agree about Grand Seiko. Not sure the brand is still fair to class as underrated, more like famously underrated if you get me, but I've lusted after owning a Snowflake for years. Probably too late now as I can't see myself wearing anything but an Apple Watch from here on - tough to go back to anything else after owning one.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #4,662 of 14,593
In fairness to Rolex they are technical innovators who even have their own foundry. Sure I'd rather own a Lange 1 than a Datejust and am hardly about to compare their watches to those of someone like Roger Smith, but considering Rolex produce something like 800k watches a year they obviously can't sit there grinding every bezel by hand.

I totally agree about Grand Seiko. Not sure the brand is still fair to class as underrated, more like famously underrated if you get me, but I've lusted after owning a Snowflake for years. Probably too late now as I can't see myself wearing anything but an Apple Watch from here on - tough to go back to anything else after owning one.

Well since I bought an apple watch I've bought an omega and a VC 🤷‍♂️

Oh and absolutely, nothing wrong with Rolex itself, it's more the impression I get from reading the posts about "well built" and "Swiss made" are lol-worthy.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #4,663 of 14,593
Well since I bought an apple watch I've bought an omega and a VC 🤷‍♂️

Oh and absolutely, nothing wrong with Rolex itself, it's more the impression I get from reading the posts about "well built" and "Swiss made" are lol-worthy.
Do they get a lot of wrist time? I have the LTE Apple Watch and keeping it strapped means I never miss a phone call. Which to be fair, is not always an advantage on weekends.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #4,664 of 14,593
Do they get a lot of wrist time? I have the LTE Apple Watch and keeping it strapped means I never miss a phone call. Which to be fair, is not always an advantage on weekends.

Well. I mostly wear the apple watch only when exercising so yes.. 🤣

I'm okay with missing calls to my mobile...

Actually it's hilarious, I'm wearing it today and missed a call hahahahahaha.

I think cv19 has been worse for wrist time than apple watch - I tend not to wear anything except the apple watch at home..

Oh and I should also say that the apple watch is fabulously well built. Its a pretty big compliment to give to a obviously disliked player.. (lololololo)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #4,665 of 14,593
Well. I mostly wear the apple watch only when exercising so yes.. 🤣

I'm okay with missing calls to my mobile...

Actually it's hilarious, I'm wearing it today and missed a call hahahahahaha.

I think cv19 has been worse for wrist time than apple watch - I tend not to wear anything except the apple watch at home..

Oh and I should also say that the apple watch is fabulously well built. Its a pretty big compliment to give to a obviously disliked player.. (lololololo)
Yeah, I'd imagine Covid-19's been equally if not more disruptive to the portable audio hobby with fewer people commuting.

I only have good things to say about the Apple Watch aside from perhaps the limited number of watch faces. Battery life is shocking when used as a standalone phone replacement, but paired with an iphone easily lasts me the day. First time I made a phone call on it felt every bit as Dick Tracy as I hoped it would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back