iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3,256 of 14,593
To provide another perspective, I’ve been using my DX300 with EE Odins and find I am so far enjoying it more than my sp1000m. It is not even close in terms of general speediness and user experience, the DX300 wins by a mile there. The SP1000m does have an advantage in terms of being more pocketable and once I am back to commuting this may turn into more of a consideration, but for now it’s a wash because the advantages of the DX300’s beautiful, large screen out way the inconveniences of the larger size. Particularly when needing to use a keyboard to search for things, the the SP1000m’s screen has always felt a little cramped, which is definitely not the case on the DX300.

It is still early days (I have ~70 hrs on the DX300), but I am finding myself preferring the DX300’s sound. I do not notice much of a difference in terms of absolute detail retrieval—the SP1000m has always been excellent here and the DX300 matches it at least—but there is definitely a difference in the separation, sounstage, space, texture, and in particular, depth of the sound with the DX300 pulling ahead here. Volume matching and listening to the same tracks on Tidal on both DAPs with my Odins, with both MQA master tracks as well as normal hifi 16-bit/44.1khz “hifi” tracks, the DX300 has a little more space around the notes, a little bit better separation between the instruments, and a noticeable amount more depth to the sounds, which gives an overall more 3-dimensional, holographic sense to the music. By comparison, on the SP1000m, the music, while lovely and detailed, sounds like it is all coming at you from the same plane in space. For example, listening to the intro to the Eagles 1994 live on MTV version of Hotel California (an MQA master track in Tidal), the guitars and particularly the bongos have more depth, space, texture, and overall sense of wholeness to them vs the SP1000m, which sounds much more like you are listening to a recording being reproduced. This overall sense of 3 dimensional out allows for subtle textures to come through and more realistic note decays on the DX300 that are less distinct on the SP1000m. The bass on the DX300 also has the sense of having a little more oomph and gusto, which may be a reflection of both the increased driving power of the DX300 as well as the overall increased sense of space and 3-dimensionality.

The Odins do have a somewhat forward upper midrange, but to my ears, compared to the sp1000m, the added 3-dimensionality of the DX300 generally makes parts that can get closer to the edge in terms of sharpness, less forward comparatively. For me, the Odin’s upper mids have never strayed into the territory of being too sharp, and I’ve never heard the Hiby R8 or Shanling M8, so cannot compare there. However, for me a track that illustrates my point about the difference in the odins upper mids presentation between the SP1000m vs the DX300 is Cyndi Lauper’s “Time after Time”. Listening to a 16-bit/44.1khz (non-MQA) version of the track (version on the Stranger Things soundtrack), around 2:35 in the track, there is a guitar solo, that can get a little close to sounding strident/grating on the SP1000m. On the DX300, because of the more holographic, 3-dimesional presentation, instead of being the most forward sound in the mix, that lead guitar is a bit more contextualized by the bass line, which, while not sounding more forward than the lead guitar, almost buffers the edges of the solo with the depth, drive, and increased spatial “wholeness” of its notes. The actual notes of the lead guitar may have a little more texture on the DX300, but again, these are better contextualized in the space of the soundstage, taking some edge off.
I actually loved Odin even on dx220 which is fairly upper mid forward combo.
But I think dx300 would be alot better synergy with its warmer tuning.

What i noticed, people who actually sold Odin. Mainly did it because upper mids were too much.

So if @KevP does find it offensive on dx300 but not on R8. It means R8 has even less forward upper mids than dx300? Which would remind me of wm1a tuning with pronouced treble but lack of upper mid energy. Or am i getting it wrong?

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,257 of 14,593
I actually loved Odin even on dx220 which is fairly upper mid forward combo.
But I think dx300 would be alot better synergy with its warmer tuning.

What i noticed, people who actually sold Odin. Mainly did it because upper mids were too much.

So if @KevP does find it offensive on dx300 but not on R8. It means R8 has even less forward upper mids than dx300? Which would remind me of wm1a tuning with pronouced treble but lack of upper mid energy. Or am i getting it wrong?
Most of the DAPs I have been through that have AKM as DAC usually have a portions of the Mid to step back a little, just that I never heard the R8 though.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #3,258 of 14,593
Most of the DAPs I have been through that have AKM as DAC usually have a portions of the Mid to step back a little, just that I never heard the R8 though.
Thanks, now im worried on pulling trigger on R8 lol.
Joking, its the only way to find out how it really sounds. And im really curious how they compare at this moment.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #3,259 of 14,593
Thanks, now im worried on pulling trigger on R8 lol.
Joking, its the only way to find out how it really sounds. And im really curious how they compare at this moment.
Which DAP do you currently have may I ask? I seem to remember you asking questions about the SE200 a while back... By the sounds of all of these comments it seems like the DX300 may be a nice compliment.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,260 of 14,593
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,261 of 14,593
Which DAP do you currently have may I ask? I seem to remember you asking questions about the SE200 a while back... By the sounds of all of these comments it seems like the DX300 may be a nice compliment.
At the moment only dx300. My dx220 is coming back too.
Dx300 is fine. Got curious about R8 so was trying to figure how they comprare.

I did ask around about se200 yes. As it was another option for me before buying dx300. But A&K i will be able to audition after lockdown so no need to sink money in buy/sell auditioning. Besides from what answers i get from owners it does not keep up with newer daps on SQ. And for me to go with AK pricetag striiped out UI and 2.5mm jack. SQ should be ahead by a mile.

Basically looking around wether there are other options. As i cant just go and audition stuff.

Edit: i think its called - severe upgraditis.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #3,262 of 14,593
BB546F06-D3AA-4B02-95F5-8263B7CC9F85.jpeg

Its like the Tower of Babel in here...

...or six blind men describing an elephant....the audiophile has the nether regions in hand and is trying to deduce what it is by placing it on his ear and listening with intense scrutiny...

:)

Viva la difference!

923CA05E-BE44-4585-9D54-B2387416D487.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #3,263 of 14,593

I did ask around about se200 yes. As it was another option for me before buying dx300. But A&K i will be able to audition after lockdown so no need to sink money in buy/sell auditioning. Besides from what answers i get from owners it does not keep up with newer daps on SQ. And for me to go with AK pricetag striiped out UI and 2.5mm jack. SQ should be ahead by a mile.

Basically looking around wether there are other options. As i cant just go and audition stuff.

Oh really? I've owned the SP1000m and Cube before and the SE200 is a substantial upgrade to both so I can't see it being behind newer DAP's in terms of SQ. I guess none of us will ever know until we have the ones in question side by side. I had made my purchase decision based on favourable comparisons to the 220 MAX as well which, from reading some comments on this thread, seems to be ahead of the DX300 in terms of SQ in a few ways. Maybe I'll pick the DX300 up used at some point.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #3,264 of 14,593
Upper mid centric album that would have been too challenging for me on a very revealing DX Max with my Denons.
https://tidal.com/album/170516128
On DX300 very consistent with nice warm layerings around the voice and punchy bass.
I am listening it with NOS filter.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #3,265 of 14,593
Oh really? I've owned the SP1000m and Cube before and the SE200 is a substantial upgrade to both so I can't see it being behind newer DAP's in terms of SQ. I guess none of us will ever know until we have the ones in question side by side. I had made my purchase decision based on favourable comparisons to the 220 MAX as well which, from reading some comments on this thread, seems to be ahead of the DX300 in terms of SQ in a few ways. Maybe I'll pick the DX300 up used at some point.
You know, just saying what others told me. I will definitely audition se200 once out off lockdown as its available to have a listen here. 1 thing i like abou AK daps, that even flagships arent freak size like R8 or dx300. Though i bet it comes with sacrifices. I mean apart from price lol.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #3,266 of 14,593

Yes, auditioning in the UK is a bit if a nightmare on eg Hiby DAPs. But, if somehow you do get the opportunity, I really rate the R8. My only concern is quality control, but I’ve gone on plenty about that on the R8 thread, where it belongs. On SQ I love it. And, so far, the DX300 isn’t matching it for me. Every time I think it’s improving with burn in, I go back to the R8 and realise it isn’t. But I will persevere for a week or two, before I decide whether to move it on.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #3,267 of 14,593

The way I deal with this is I buy either for a unique property, of sufficiently up the chain, such that it's not likely there is something much better (at the time of purchase) - differences should just be signature.

Then (and this is the really important bit) - just listen to the music and stop reading reviews.

Having said that, my approach is probably bad for a platform like headfi 🤣 (you'll notice my post count vs joined date - I tend to come back only after a good long time).

This isn't the most ideal, for example I only this year (!) discovered and bought utopia - but oh well saved some money over original price I guess hahaha.

Edit: I bought the dx300 as the best DAP interface currently available (with Android for Tidal) - just going to be using the line out. Suspect there will be other DAPS with similar processing speed by the end of 2021, but no huge improvement for awhile, as even the launch firmware is not worse than a current gen phone (I'm using an iPhone 12 pro as a comparator). Frankly even a two year old phone is mostly fast enough for tidal - but for some reason most other DAPs are even more laggy than a two year old phone for Android/Tidal, or have some disgusting hoops required (e.g. AK). Note that I actively browse Tidal if I have time, so I like the large screen.

Edit2: Also since I'm here I have been looking at ciem improvement over my zeus XR - zomg prices have gone nuts. I blame Utopia actually. Also, not sure why various empire ear updates have been universal only pffft. But new announcement today! I now don't travel (at all) so upgrading that is not very important. I hope I restrain myself.. Hahahaha.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #3,268 of 14,593
The way I deal with this is I buy either for a unique property, of sufficiently up the chain, such that it's not likely there is something much better (at the time of purchase) - differences should just be signature.

Then (and this is the really important bit) - just listen to the music and stop reading reviews.

Having said that, my approach is probably bad for a platform like headfi 🤣 (you'll notice my post count vs joined date - I tend to come back only after a good long time).

This isn't the most ideal, for example I only this year (!) discovered and bought utopia - but oh well saved some money over original price I guess hahaha.

Edit: I bought the dx300 as the best DAP interface currently available (with Android for Tidal) - just going to be using the line out. Suspect there will be other DAPS with similar processing speed by the end of 2021, but no huge improvement for awhile, as even the launch firmware is not worse than a current gen phone (I'm using an iPhone 12 pro as a comparator). Frankly even a two year old phone is mostly fast enough for tidal - but for some reason most other DAPs are even more laggy than a two year old phone for Android/Tidal, or have some disgusting hoops required (e.g. AK). Note that I actively browse Tidal if I have time, so I like the large screen.
Now you just need a C9 to complete the collection for another long while. Have you had any news regarding delivery ?

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #3,269 of 14,593
Now you just need a C9 to complete the collection for another long while. Have you had any news regarding delivery ?

Haha. Actually I don't have either in hand yet... Last update was just before the weekend - delivery this coming Friday.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #3,270 of 14,593
In my previous battery updates I was only using local playback, 4.4mm BAL with IEMs, Med Gain, wifi/BT off, mix of mp3/flac, and was getting close to 13hrs of playback time with Analog down to 0% and Digital around 30% since the screen was off most of the time and wireless radios were off as well.

Next, I ran another test, still 4.4mm BAL w/IEMs, Med Gain, Wifi on streaming Amazon HD, periodically turning the display on with 5min timeout setting to get more screen time. And under these test conditions getting between 13.5-14hrs of playback time with Analog down to 0% and Digital down to about 5%. Makes sense since Wifi is on and I force more screen time so digital battery drains evenly with analog. Looks like after half a dozen of charge discharge cycles, battery is properly calibrated and I'm getting closer to 14hrs of playback time. Probably good time to stop battery testing since I don't want to continue draining it down to 0. This is flac playback (local and amazon hd), and I'm sure playing DSDs or using harder to drive headphones at higher volume will drain it faster, but nevertheless, thought some might find these test results useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back