iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #2,611 of 14,593
I think it's time we create a new category of device, starting with the DX300: Digital Media Player (DMP). Not that any of the other flagships can't do what the DX300 does, but a true DMP is really about screen size as much as it is audio chops.

As an aside, I'm sure you'll be comparing the DX300 with the R8 in your upcoming review. Look forward to that. A few too many superlatives flying around here (which makes sense given its the DX300 thread), so I'm waiting for a level-headed comparison between the two to better understand their relative strengths.
I am sure the devices belonging to this category will grow over time. Not long ago a Chinese brand launched a “dap” that is based on Windows 10; it is basically a windows tablet but with all the motherboard and other stuff designed for audio/video playing.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #2,612 of 14,593
I am sure the devices belonging to this category will grow over time. Not long ago a Chinese brand launched a “dap” that is based on Windows 10; it is basically a windows tablet but with all the motherboard and other stuff designed for audio/video playing.
I suspect many audio 'purists' who want barebone DAPs optimised for music playback are not going to like it, if it indeed becomes a trend among the major DAP vendors.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,613 of 14,593
I suspect many audio 'purists' who want barebone DAPs optimised for music playback are not going to like it, if it indeed becomes a trend among the major DAP vendors.
If a device sounds good, any audio "purist" will like it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #2,614 of 14,593
It will depend on downsides and extra price that comes in with multimedia daps.
Somethink like dx300 has little negative trade off. Price is competetive, life is not compromised by larger, sharper screen so why not have it along with good SQ. Thats if i write off size of it which hopefully so oversized due to internal parts.

But if you will have to pay extra 1k for pretty screen or have larger battery or shorter battery life just so its netflix ready etc. etc., than yes many includong me would not be buying it.

But i think it will simply branch out to differnt models.

If there will be purist dap demand, there will also be supply.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #2,615 of 14,593
I saw that YinLuvMe W1 I think. It is a little lame to be honest, running Windows 10 with so little processing power and RAM, let alone not properly cooling down the IC chips

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #2,619 of 14,593
I don’t think MangoOS ever did MQA, unless it is the Mango APK in android
its just, The manual put MQA topic after Mango OS... so it feels like it is capable...
well, it will be compeling for me, if it can.. #wishes hahaha...

BTW.. just realized that on Android mode, the volume now the same, as it maxs to 100, not 150 like on DX220...

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #2,620 of 14,593
its just, The manual put MQA topic after Mango OS... so it feels like it is capable...
well, it will be compeling for me, if it can.. #wishes hahaha...

BTW.. just realized that on Android mode, the volume now the same, as it maxs to 100, not 150 like on DX220...
I think on 220 you can customize it right ?

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #2,623 of 14,593
@hshock76 any first compassion dx300 vs SE200?

Here's a quick summary of DX300 vs SE200 AKM. Did some quick comparisons last night with my Rhapsodio Infinity 2 + PW 1960s 4W cable.

Both are tuned to give a neutral presentation. However, the DX300 has more body and weight to the mids while the AK has a slight coloration to it's mids. Both are similarly musical.

In short, the DX300 is a more capable player to my ears.
1. Larger and more encompassing sound stage. It sounds grander and there is more impact in it's presentation.
2. Increased depth from the 300 creates a better sense of layering which works very well for my my preferred vocal genres.
3. There is a better sense of transparency and detail extraction
4. More extension and sparkle in treble
5. Bass seems to performing at similar levels now but I can hear improvements on the Ibasso as it burns in more
6. The gap in performance is further widened when I used High Gain as the Infinity scales with more power

As a true portable player, I still rate the SE200 highly and is very capable and musical player. Size alone is in its favor. However, the DX300 to me is giving a higher tier of performance. WIll be good if you are able to listen to both yourself

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #2,624 of 14,593
Here's a quick summary of DX300 vs SE200 AKM. Did some quick comparisons last night with my Rhapsodio Infinity 2 + PW 1960s 4W cable.

Both are tuned to give a neutral presentation. However, the DX300 has more body and weight to the mids while the AK has a slight coloration to it's mids. Both are similarly musical.

1. Larger and more encompassing sound stage. It sounds grander and there is more impact in it's presentation.
2. Increased depth from the 300 creates a better sense of layering which works very well for my my preferred vocal genres.
5. Bass seems to performing at similar levels now but I can hear improvements on the Ibasso as it burns in more
6. The gap in performance is further widened when I used High Gain as the Infinity scales with more power

As a true portable player, I still rate the SE200 highly and is very capable and musical player. Size alone is in its favor. However, the DX300 to me is giving a higher tier of performance. WIll be good if you are able to listen to both yourself
Thanks very much! We have 1 more win :). It gets better and better

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,625 of 14,593

Thank you.
When you say mids coloration does that mean se200 has an upper mid boost?
I was really surprised when you said treble sparkle is better on dx300. I always imagined that se200 would have quite pronounced trable..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back