iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #2,566 of 14,593
I agreed and I am with you in it. This is a Modern High End Media Device. You can watch movies with high quality audio. Before we are debating the Audio of the streaming file quality. I just want to lay it out that This Dx300 has DAC/Amp and can drive many audiophiles in ears or headphones to perform which typically is only for music.

So I don’t know anyone else , but for me, I have been wanting similar thing for so long. I don’t stream audio but I do movies, and I am tired of those loud speakers, or dongles ..... I want mid night movies to be all high quality while bothering no one else.
Yeh i agree. The size and quality of screen is perfect for watching movies. And as a battery is not a joke you can do it on the move.
Even sound sig is suitable for movies. Beefy low and good soundstage. All you need now is an amp module with popcorn dispenser.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,567 of 14,593
Netflix app in android supports Dolby Atmos, doesn't it?
Should be nice, will test it!
Atmos codec will need according speakers to play the different channels
So unless you don't have according software to mix that into some stereo downmix it won't bring any advantages.
Though I am repeating my former question in this thread.
Can anyone with dx 300 try to sync their TVs or soundbars with dx max via Bluetooth and see how it performs in receiver mode using Aptx or even better ldac?
Dx220 line has unfortunately not supported any devices!= Apple in my case.
Big screen is great in bed room or train but I d prefer to watch movies on my big Led TV at midnight and listening on my Audeze LCDs for example.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,569 of 14,593
Wait, dx220 can be used as Bluetooth DAC/Amp feature right ? I could watch iPad screen and stream Bluetooth to DX220. You couldn’t do it with large TV ?
Correct, ipad, Macbook, iPhones no issue but no aptx ldac support with my 3 TVs and 2 soundbars in receiver mode, no issues using an alternative Qudelix 5k

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2,572 of 14,593
I'm wondering if it's worth switching to dx300 from MAX. And the decision must be made a couple of days before there is a buyer for MAX.

DX300 being sound-wise with an averaged rating to be better than MAX would put iBasso in a weird position: Just months after the release of MAX they are releasing another player that sounds better, has a much better system performance, not the Frankenstein's monster type of player that the MAX is (dual incompatible chargers, for example), more internal storage, replaceable amp module...and it all costs at 60% of the price of MAX. That would be quite a disrespect to the customers that bought MAX.

Though you might wish it to sound better, I take it to be unlikely. So the decision should be made on other parameters than just sound.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,573 of 14,593
DX300 being sound-wise with an averaged rating to be better than MAX would put iBasso in a weird position: Just months after the release of MAX they are releasing another player that sounds better, has a much better system performance, not the Frankenstein's monster type of player that the MAX is (dual incompatible chargers, for example), more internal storage, replaceable amp module...and it all costs at 60% of the price of MAX. That would be quite a disrespect to the customers that bought MAX.Though you might wish it to sound better, I take it to be unlikely. So the decision should be made on other parameters than just sound.

Depends on what you consider "better". Max to me has an edge on dynamic range and even clearer edge on resolution for sure. But I sold it and I like DX300 better because it's smoother. They do share some qualities like pitch black background, huge soundstage and superb imaging on this DX300 is just as good IMHO and it might even be better on layering. To me it's never just about pure performance, but also tuning. Max gave me headache after a couple of hours to be honest, too intense in the upper mids. DX300 I can listen for hours... it's so immersive and holographic and smooth.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,574 of 14,593
Depends on what you consider "better". Max to me has an edge on dynamic range and even clearer edge on resolution for sure. But I sold it and I like DX300 better because it's smoother. They do share some qualities like pitch black background, huge soundstage and superb imaging on this DX300 is just as good IMHO and it might even be better on layering. To me it's never just about pure performance, but also tuning. Max gave me headache after a couple of hours to be honest, too intense in the upper mids. DX300 I can listen for hours... it's so immersive and holographic and smooth.

On that note, the Max plays exactly like my Chord Hugo 2. To the point I am feeling on selling off the Hugo 2, as it covers the same usage scenarios.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,575 of 14,593
Indeed. Not sure about you @Whitigir but to me the DX300, with its screen size and dual batteries, is starting to blur the lines between music player and media player. If I got a DX300 it would be just as much for video playback (YouTube/Netflix/Plex) as it would be for music. Heck I'd probably watch more video with it than listen to music since the screen is bigger than my smartphone! This is not a bad thing, just an observation.

Absolutely agree! So many times I start to watch a movie or a show on my phone before going to sleep and 5min into it get interrupted by email or txt or messenger. Here the size is just perfect for watching a movie, it's bigger than my aging Galaxy phone and smaller than a bulkier tablet. Plus, DX300 is relatively lightweight for such a big device, so it is perfect as both audio player and media player.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,576 of 14,593
I agree the choice of DAP also depends on tuning and match to the headphones
Brighter DAP matches with warmer headphone etc.
Are there frequency response comparisons for DAPs?
For headphones there are tons of.
Or are the tuning differences considered to be too subtle for such comparisons?

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #2,577 of 14,593
On that note, the Max plays exactly like my Chord Hugo 2. To the point I am feeling on selling off the Hugo 2, as it covers the same usage scenarios.
It is even better than Hugo2 in some comparisons :wink:. But preferences and synergies matter. You can not tell until you personally spend time with each player. IMO, both is on the same tier with Max have higher output and different tuning under different system capabilities and DAC

There is no offensives toward Max owners really, if they wanted, they could sell Max used and buy new Dx300. They will be falling back from DSD512 and powerful output to slightly less powerful and DSD256.....Still differences between Sabres and CL signatures. Or hell, they can just buy both if they wanted to. One is Desktop and one is Portable

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #2,578 of 14,593

Yeah I concur we spent an afternoon with @popof94 Hugo 2 and my Max and I did some blind A/B those two are very close although I could pick Max every time blind, and I like it better more analog sounding.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #2,579 of 14,593

That is why I mentioned "with an averaged rating to be better than MAX". You may like the question or not, that still puts the MAX and iBasso at a very strange position, that as a platform it is considerably worse than a product that was released months after it. I cannot keep myself from asking "but then why didn't iBasso use the newer platform?"

I know iBasso lovers don't like questions much. It is love it or get the hell out of here! :) So I am not gonna drag it any longer.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #2,580 of 14,593
I installed Roon app but could not play properly in 24bit Max bits per sample. It does work if I make the setting to 16 bit Max bits per sample(pcm)
these are found under the advanced settings

I have been listening to hires flac on quboz app and on the mango player with no issues

I have about 12 hours of playtime so far and am really enjoying the DX 300

It is a big step up from my HiByMusic R5 in details of the sound stage and precision of bass.

The dx 300 drove my Sundaras and R60p
to decent levels on balanced out.
Thank you for testing and impressions. Hopefully Roon updates the app so we can get the best sound out of it.
Otherwise i think i will just forget about my local library and fully go to Tidal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back