iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,442 of 14,596
This question I have been asking but so far we have had no answer yet

FiiO M15 is basically doing that with All to DSD features and I believe LPGT can also do it. But they may be sitting at DSD128. I could be wrong

The Shanling M8 does not though .... so

The LP P6 and LP6 and the ladder players are basically using the FPGA to DSP all PCM and or DSD into PWM so that it can be processed by the Ladder boards.
It is all depend upon what implementations Ibasso did on the Dx300

Yea a little information and clarification would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,443 of 14,596
Always had a problem with X is better than Y propositions... to me it's just based on "there is a single perfect absolute reference DAP/IEM/Headphone/AMP/etc that sits above everything else". The first problem with that is what is reference and what to measure against... and is not that simple. The point of this hobby is not to me is not to tend towards absolute reference we are not computers we have preference and musical enjoyment is not necessarily the same path a pro takes when he is mastering tracks. It can be, but it's no more valid than anyone else enjoying a warmer signature for example. The Harman target is a good example of how things evolve in terms of what to aim for, there are different alternatives and it's great :)

Of course some things can be measured and its important but if it becomes the most important then this is not the same hobby of music first gear as a means to an end but more gear for gear and who's got the biggest :grin: Which to me is pointless...

Will the DX300 give me great listening sessions ? I have no doubt and it will get better with the choice of new amps so all is well :)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,444 of 14,596
No offense but this is clearly a confirmation bias and “speculation”. Personally I don’t care nor am offended but I have noticed this kind of comment tends to get a “like” isn’t accused of giving a a dopamine drip for it (what Social Media was actually designed to do studying what slot machines do to gamblers addictive minds under a cat-scan)

I am not immune to dopamine rush just like anyone, there are worst drugs as long as you're not a slave to it :)

It's not confirmation bias but a long standing experience of the brand that established trust, the fact that it's iBasso and not AK or Sony doesn't change its user base trust that they have a fair idea of the philosophy behind their tuning and overall technical skills.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,445 of 14,596
Always had a problem with X is better than Y propositions... to me it's just based on "there is a single perfect absolute reference DAP/IEM/Headphone/AMP/etc that sits above everything else". The first problem with that is what is reference and what to measure against... and is not that simple. The point of this hobby is not to me is not to tend towards absolute reference we are not computers we have preference and musical enjoyment is not necessarily the same path a pro takes when he is mastering tracks. It can be, but it's no more valid than anyone else enjoying a warmer signature for example. The Harman target is a good example of how things evolve in terms of what to aim for, there are different alternatives and it's great :)

Of course some things can be measured and its important but if it becomes the most important then this is not the same hobby of music first gear as a means to an end but more gear for gear and who's got the biggest :grin: Which to me is pointless...

Will the DX300 give me great listening sessions ? I have no doubt and it will get better with the choice of new amps so all is well :)
Another thing would be gear synergy and also music type. So many fight happen where 2 blokes start going on about how dap is sibilant and another will tell that its actually too warn. But they forget to share what iems they use. Or one is listening to symphony while otherone is raving on frenchcore lol.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #1,446 of 14,596
Not sure where the taboo lies...

I like iBasso doesn't mean I'll click with everything they build and tune and for instance DX220 Max was not for me (too intense in the upper mids) and I sold it and it's great DAP, with lot of innovations and top performance. I had my gripes with it and shared and moved on. I keep an open mind both ways and a lot of people are like me I think, there is naturally just a common taste in tuning and feature set overall that brings people together. Are we brainless dopamine addicted brand fans? Don't think so.

There is no such thing as objectivity and negative feedback is not more reliable than positive one... there are always positives and negatives and for example battery life was a negative of DX200 and to a lesser extent DX220 but that's also missing the point of the positive that is attached to it : having the benefits of dual desktop grade DAC with the ESS9028 Pro that very few DAPs are offering even today. That consumes power which means less battery life if you want to keep a compact portable form factor. So really when highlighting the negative things are not black and white it's a design choice that some people chose consciously.

Interestingly when iBasso comes up with a design change going for a lower power consumption DAC in a quad configuration (also being the only one daring to go Cirrus Logic in that segment) it now becomes criticized as well before people even listened (only DSD256 etc...). Call me puzzled. Battery life is going to improve :) Also DX220 Max showed that having two batteries one for digital and one for analog was a pretty smart way to lower noise and get the blackest of background. They implemented that in DX300 with a bonus of not having to have two charging ports and chargers. I say kudos! DX300 architecture is probably the most innovative in its segment, in the sense it's not similar to any other DAPs design except the Max for the dual batteries and the DX2xx lineup for the modular AMPs. It warrants at least a bit of interest no matter if you're an iBasso fan just like any brand that does cool stuff gets my attention. Going 6.5 inches on the screen is also a first than I know and combined with a slimmer form factor makes it quite smartphone like opening new usages that could be cool given the snapdragon 660 (movies, games...).

Are we enthusiast for being excited by this?
Hell yeah but can't blame us for it since we want to know how that design translates into musical enjoyment which in the end is more important than anything isn't it? My bet is, it's going to be pretty good and possibly different than what we're used to hear. Good news for the market that there is innovation!

No product is ever perfect and DX300 won't be either and that's why a lot of us have more than one DAP (again, mutli-faceted not black and white thing...).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #1,447 of 14,596
Here is (partial) Simple Talk about iBasso DX300 from a shop owner in Weibo :

Google Translate (keep in mind, there are many misuse words and mistranslation):

iBasso DX300 Mango OS.jpg

system:
Mainly talk about the optimization of the new mango. Support copying files, path: Advanced Settings-MTP, previously it was necessary to switch to Android system. The screen becomes longer, and there are more things you can put on. The previous options in the second-level menu have all been moved to the first-level, especially the playback sequence and filter mode that need to be adjusted frequently, which is a lot more convenient. The Android system switch is also placed at the bottom, which is very friendly to Mengxin. I cut the optical switch... anyway, the optical fiber... there are really few scenes available, which is harmless. The previously added custom wallpaper is retained, but it is still not adaptive.

The Android version has reached 9.0, retaining most of the features of the native system, such as a negative screen. The built-in apps and icons are still the same set, unchanged. Android's Mango Player (hereinafter referred to as MP) has many new features in the advanced settings, such as unplugging pause, indicator sampling rate, Bluetooth DAC, custom display settings, etc., and its ease of use is greatly improved. Compared with Linux's Mango OS There are many more changes. Considering the application of self-developed FPGA-Master technology, it may not be surprising that MP has so many optimizations. OnePlus 8Pro Bluetooth DAC supports AAC, SBC, in short, enough, bilateral volume synchronization, low latency is still based on preload.

sound:
The amplification module of DX300 is AMP11 which is born out of AMP8. If other cards come out in the future, the name of the default package might be changed to DX311. The following sound description is based on Android MP, high gain, default D4 slow roll-off filter, and EQ off. The sound of slow roll-off filtering is a little bit warped, concave vocals, not as clear and transparent as D3 low-latency fast roll-off, but it is still a filtering mode worth listening to.

The general style of the DX300 is still relaxed, generous and open. Compared with DX220MAX, the quality layer is not very different. There is a slight gap, which is more obvious when playing back classical instrumental music. Pop rock and the like will narrow this gap. The resolution, image lines, separation, and sound field scale are all very well presented. The details given are sufficient to cope with classical instrumental music, with sufficient low-frequency reverberation and rich high-frequency overtones, which can better play back the distance of each instrument department, the nearness, the farness, and the clear and distinct layering. The line feel of the knot image is better, but not excessive. Like the transient, the warm and gentle foundation is there, which is different from the overwhelming momentum of the DX220MAX. The scale of the sound field is quite real, with depth and height, three-dimensional and regular. The overall density is not very good, and there is still a slight gap with the top high density such as U8. It should be said that it is more leisurely.

The DX300 doesn't need to be matched. It can basically give a very good listening experience with any plug. Just like the DX220MAX, unless the plug is too bad to be saved, there will be no "underworld" sound. Even if it is the assistant's own use, it can give a solid and full sound, and retain its bright and natural high frequency, which is really rare on portable devices, after all, this thing is not much better than HD580. Vocals generally recommend D3 low-latency fast roll-off filtering, and instrumental music uses D4 slow roll-off filtering by default. Of course, it depends on personal preference in the end. It is better to burn the new machine for a while, so that the dynamics and layering will be better, and the sound will be more natural.

iBasso DX300 AMP11 circuit front.jpg

iBasso DX300 AMP11 circuit back.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,448 of 14,596
Not sure where the taboo lies...

I like iBasso doesn't mean I'll click with everything they build and tune and for instance DX220 Max was not for me (too intense in the upper mids) and I sold it and it's great DAP, with lot of innovations and top performance. I had my gripes with it and shared and moved on. I keep an open mind both ways and a lot of people are like me I think, there is naturally just a common taste in tuning and feature set overall that brings people together. Are we brainless dopamine addicted brand fans? Don't think so.

There is no such thing as objectivity and negative feedback is not more reliable than positive one... there are always positives and negatives and for example battery life was a negative of DX200 and to a lesser extent DX220 but that's also missing the point of the positive that is attached to it : having the benefits of dual desktop grade DAC with the ESS9028 Pro that very few DAPs are offering even today. That consumes power which means less battery life if you want to keep a compact portable form factor. So really when highlighting the negative things are not black and white it's a design choice that some people chose consciously.

Interestingly when iBasso comes up with a design change going for a lower power consumption DAC in a quad configuration (also being the only one daring to go Cirrus Logic in that segment) it now becomes criticized as well before people even listened (only DSD256 etc...). Call me puzzled. Battery life is going to improve :) Also DX220 Max showed that having two batteries one for digital and one for analog was a pretty smart way to lower noise and get the blackest of background. They implemented that in DX300 with a bonus of not having to have two charging ports and chargers. I say kudos! DX300 architecture is probably the most innovative in its segment, in the sense it's not similar to any other DAPs design except the Max for the dual batteries and the DX2xx lineup for the modular AMPs. It warrants at least a bit of interest no matter if you're an iBasso fan just like any brand that does cool stuff gets my attention. Going 6.5 inches on the screen is also a first than I know and combined with a slimmer form factor makes it quite smartphone like opening new usages that could be cool given the snapdragon 660 (movies, games...).

Are we enthusiast for being excited by this?
Hell yeah but can't blame us for it since we want to know how that design translates into musical enjoyment which in the end is more important than anything isn't it? My bet is, it's going to be pretty good and possibly different than what we're used to hear. Good news for the market that there is innovation!

No product is ever perfect and DX300 won't be either and that's why a lot of us have more than one DAP (again, mutli-faceted not black and white thing...).
Nice wording... felt the same thing when try DX220Max...
still stick with DX220 due to the possibility to mod the AMP, especially AMP8EX... already 3 times revision of mod to get to the sound sig preferred..

Google Translate (keep in mind, there are many misuse words and mistranslation):

system:
Mainly talk about the optimization of the new mango. Support copying files, path: Advanced Settings-MTP, previously it was necessary to switch to Android system. The screen becomes longer, and there are more things you can put on. The previous options in the second-level menu have all been moved to the first-level, especially the playback sequence and filter mode that need to be adjusted frequently, which is a lot more convenient. The Android system switch is also placed at the bottom, which is very friendly to Mengxin. I cut the optical switch... anyway, the optical fiber... there are really few scenes available, which is harmless. The previously added custom wallpaper is retained, but it is still not adaptive.

The Android version has reached 9.0, retaining most of the features of the native system, such as a negative screen. The built-in apps and icons are still the same set, unchanged. Android's Mango Player (hereinafter referred to as MP) has many new features in the advanced settings, such as unplugging pause, indicator sampling rate, Bluetooth DAC, custom display settings, etc., and its ease of use is greatly improved. Compared with Linux's Mango OS There are many more changes. Considering the application of self-developed FPGA-Master technology, it may not be surprising that MP has so many optimizations. OnePlus 8Pro Bluetooth DAC supports AAC, SBC, in short, enough, bilateral volume synchronization, low latency is still based on preload.

sound:
The amplification module of DX300 is AMP11 which is born out of AMP8. If other cards come out in the future, the name of the default package might be changed to DX311. The following sound description is based on Android MP, high gain, default D4 slow roll-off filter, and EQ off. The sound of slow roll-off filtering is a little bit warped, concave vocals, not as clear and transparent as D3 low-latency fast roll-off, but it is still a filtering mode worth listening to.

The general style of the DX300 is still relaxed, generous and open. Compared with DX220MAX, the quality layer is not very different. There is a slight gap, which is more obvious when playing back classical instrumental music. Pop rock and the like will narrow this gap. The resolution, image lines, separation, and sound field scale are all very well presented. The details given are sufficient to cope with classical instrumental music, with sufficient low-frequency reverberation and rich high-frequency overtones, which can better play back the distance of each instrument department, the nearness, the farness, and the clear and distinct layering. The line feel of the knot image is better, but not excessive. Like the transient, the warm and gentle foundation is there, which is different from the overwhelming momentum of the DX220MAX. The scale of the sound field is quite real, with depth and height, three-dimensional and regular. The overall density is not very good, and there is still a slight gap with the top high density such as U8. It should be said that it is more leisurely.

The DX300 doesn't need to be matched. It can basically give a very good listening experience with any plug. Just like the DX220MAX, unless the plug is too bad to be saved, there will be no "underworld" sound. Even if it is the assistant's own use, it can give a solid and full sound, and retain its bright and natural high frequency, which is really rare on portable devices, after all, this thing is not much better than HD580. Vocals generally recommend D3 low-latency fast roll-off filtering, and instrumental music uses D4 slow roll-off filtering by default. Of course, it depends on personal preference in the end. It is better to burn the new machine for a while, so that the dynamics and layering will be better, and the sound will be more natural.

I like the additional space of the new AMP11... hehehe....

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #1,449 of 14,596
@fokta : For modding, since DX300 amp card circuit PCB is put in the middle of total thickness 17mm of DX300 body. From the above pictures, I guess the front side doesn't allow the electrolytic capacitor diameter over than 8-10 mm, while the rear side might take about 4-5 mm height. However DX300 amp card provides us a big yard to run wild. :wink:

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #1,450 of 14,596
@Lurker0 will the USB-Audio App available for the DX300, even if you say you don't gonna make a firmware add-on?

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #1,451 of 14,596
@fokta : For modding, since DX300 amp card circuit PCB is put in the middle of total thickness 17mm of DX300 body. From the above pictures, I guess the front side doesn't allow the electrolytic capacitor diameter over than 8-10 mm, while the rear side might take about 4-5 mm height. However DX300 amp card provides us a big yard to run wild. :wink:
I think the front side can only go as high as 6mm and while the back side is about as much as 4mm which no electrolytic can fit. But there are lot of spaces for something else

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #1,452 of 14,596

system:

sound:

Seems like it will be warmer than MAX. Is Max warmer than dx220?
Like the transient, the warm and gentle foundation is there, which is different from the overwhelming momentum of the DX220MAX
Not too sure what to make of this.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #1,453 of 14,596
Seems like it will be warmer than MAX. Is Max warmer than dx220?

Not too sure what to make of this.
The dx160 and my Astell ak240 is more nuetral compared to Hiby R6 daps, so if it is warmer than the MAX it won't be significant enough like a warm HiBy dap.

For the second part;
I think what they are describing is the extra presentation effect for transients and technicalities Cirrus Logic chips give, which they inherited from Wolfson tech they absorbed into their company. They have a small transient influence, like a tube amp kind of presentation effect for instrument separation, layering, and all. Like from the dac filters.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,454 of 14,596
Another reviews from shop owners in Weibo. It seems DX300 has already arrived at China authorized dealer~.

Google Translate (keep in mind, there are many misuse words and mistranslation, so take a context with a grain of salt):

1) In terms of sound, dx300 is a bit more popular than DX220max, and the sound field is still very large. dx300 is a fast transient player. It uses 4 cs43198, which is greatly improved in terms of space and density compared to 220, and the sound image is also A lot of improvement, because the thrust is really great, it is recommended that most easy-to-push earplugs have low gain.

2) Under Mango OS, the DX300 has a high-gain, default filter (slow roll-off) sound tone that is quite relaxed, generous, centered and open, slightly warmer, gentle and durable. The quality level is in the corresponding gear...very strong. The playback ability of large-scale instrumental music is between DX228 and MAX. It is mainly the kind of magnificent transient relative to MAX, or almost meaning, resolution, separation, sound field, etc. There is a slight gap. In terms of driving force and control, the small plugs with high sensitivity and low resistance such as Pojun, and the large headphones with high resistance and low sensitivity such as HD580 can be pushed in a good manner. The gentle volume curve is much more humane than MAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back