iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #4,996 of 5,029
I'm still very happy with my 300MAX SS. I have no urge to "upgrade" to the 320MAX, especially given the annoying steps in the volume control of the latter. Now all we need is a firmware update to fix the ultimate mode on the 300MAX.
In the same boat. Really happy with it. Though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t enticed by the PB5 to pair it with, especially for full size headphones ☺️

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #4,997 of 5,029
In the same boat. Really happy with it. Though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t enticed by the PB5 to pair it with, especially for full size headphones ☺️
I still have C9. You no longer have that? Not that I’m using the C9 with the MAX by the way. I use the MAX almost exclusively with IEMs and it has plenty of power for that.

Edit: I see that PB5 also has a stepped attenuator. Nothing beats the smooth volume control of the 300 MAX.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #4,999 of 5,029
I still have C9. You no longer have that? Not that I’m using the C9 with the MAX by the way. I use the MAX almost exclusively with IEMs and it has plenty of power for that.

Edit: I see that PB5 also has a stepped attenuator. Nothing beats the smooth volume control of the 300 MAX.
For sound quality the stepped attenuator does.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #5,000 of 5,029
For sound quality the stepped attenuator does.
In theory, I am sure that is the case. Unfortunately in practice it does not work for me. I change volume all the time while listening, and the stepped attenuators are either not precise enough for volume control and/or produce jarring noises between steps. For users who set the volume once and then leave it alone this is less of an issue.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #5,001 of 5,029
In theory, I am sure that is the case. Unfortunately in practice it does not work for me. I change volume all the time while listening, and the stepped attenuators are either not precise enough for volume control and/or produce jarring noises between steps. For users who set the volume once and then leave it alone this is less of an issue.
That would be me. I hate fussing with the volume dial.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #5,002 of 5,029

Instead of using the line out on the 300MAX, I have just tried the 4.4 headphone out instead and set the volume on the PB5 to three quarters.

Works perfect with no perceptible changes in sound quality and volume control is now done on the 300MAX. Problem solved 😀

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #5,003 of 5,029
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #5,004 of 5,029
Thanks to @gLer I now own a DX300 MAX :)

I have yet to receive my unit but I have some general questions,

1. For some reason I can't find information on the micro-SD card capacity, is it 2TB or just 1TB? My library local library on my PC is a bit over 1TB so i can buy a 2TB one if I can find one on Amazon. Last I've heard, android doesn't play very nice with 2TB micro sd cards.

2. I haven't followed this thread much as I owned a few standard DX300s and DX320s but after all the latest firmware updates, which is still the preferred firmware version for the DX300 MAX?

3. I'm planning to send my DX300 MAX SS to Steve at NPAudio for the EXN mod, for those of you who still have your modded units, what are some of the major changes you noticed after all this time of burn in using those swapped capacitors?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #5,005 of 5,029

1. For some reason I can't find information on the micro-SD card capacity, is it 2TB or just 1TB? My library local library on my PC is a bit over 1TB so i can buy a 2TB one if I can find one on Amazon. Last I've heard, android doesn't play very nice with 2TB micro sd cards.

2. I haven't followed this thread much as I owned a few standard DX300s and DX320s but after all the latest firmware updates, which is still the preferred firmware version for the DX300 MAX?

3. I'm planning to send my DX300 MAX SS to Steve at NPAudio for the EXN mod, for those of you who still have your modded units, what are some of the major changes you noticed after all this time of burn in using those swapped capacitors?

Thanks!
It will use a 2TB card. All of the ibasso daps will.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #5,006 of 5,029
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #5,007 of 5,029
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #5,008 of 5,029

Thanks!

For number 3, I got mine modded by NPaudio.

It was overall beneficial, but for some there was a single con that can be a deal breaker. Enough so for alot of people that tried it with me.

It gives it a bit of lower treble glare/grain, where there was absolutely none in the SS version before that. You get a little, but from 0 to something can be considered a big change.

I wrote it in this post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...w-firmware-2-02available.958400/post-17018344

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #5,009 of 5,029
For number 3, I got mine modded by NPaudio.

It was overall beneficial, but for some there was a single con that can be a deal breaker. Enough so for alot of people that tried it with me.

It gives it a bit of lower treble glare/grain, where there was absolutely none in the SS version before that. You get a little, but from 0 to something can be considered a big change.

I wrote it in this post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...w-firmware-2-02available.958400/post-17018344

Thanks a lot for that, do you think this type lower treble glare is headphone dependent? I'm planning on using my ZMF Calderas and HD650 with the 3MAX so they could synergize a bit differently than your Focal Utopia.
Perhaps I can ask steve to address this issue with the lower treble and perhaps he can make some adjustments to the mod. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the insight though.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #5,010 of 5,029
By the way, my 1.5TB SanDisk Ultra micro sd card (they currently have a sale for it on Amazon) just arrived, should I keep it in exFAT format or should I format it to FAT32?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back