iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Aug 16, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #811 of 5,047
what a magical device to have during a lock down. Just think of all the listening you COULD be doing....
"Oooo... you are awful..... but I like you"
As Benny Hill would say! 🤣

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #812 of 5,047
Take it you are in NSW?
There’s a few cities in lockdown now 😢 I’m in Melbourne, and our lockdown just got extended for another 2 weeks.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #813 of 5,047
Still waiting...😭

waitingmax.jpg

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #815 of 5,047
There’s a few cities in lockdown now 😢 I’m in Melbourne, and our lockdown just got extended for another 2 weeks.
Good ol Gladdy!
I left Aus then COVID hit the world, Not sure when I'll be able to visit the Fambalam

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #816 of 5,047
It is even more so as if we were not in lockdownd due to Covid-19 would have taken me 45 minutes to pick it up last Wednesday. I am crying inside.....

This is the first time I am experiencing that people in Europe are receiving their toys earlier than, for example, US.

I've had zero updates from Moon Audio, assuming they just haven't received it yet.

Not sure if the lack of updates is worse (I guess if they just don't have it then no updates to give) or if tracking the package and refreshing 30x a minute would be worse 🤔 tracking the package since last Wednesday though... yikes!

crazy-jim-carrey.gif

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #817 of 5,047
When the C9 is attached though, yes, things are amplified to an awesome degree and the sound is outstanding. With also a facility to play with the sound via A/AB and Tube its a great facility. But MAX on its own is not very far off the when paired with the C9.
Agreed. MAX alone sounds much similar than it is different. As expected on my full HPs (HEKse and Rögnir), there is improvement in low end / subbass but I don't think stacking is really worth the effort for my HPs.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #818 of 5,047
Agreed. MAX alone sounds much similar than it is different. As expected on full HPs (HEKse and Rögnir), there is improvement in low end but I don't think stacking is really worth the effort for my HPs.
The harder the full-size is to drive, the more differences the C9 will pull ahead of Max. However, I do agree that it isn’t worth stacking up. You either compromise and stay with Max, or go for Desktop. Otherwise DMP Z1 or M30. Unless staying portable is what you want and squeezing every last juice.

But then, the largest perks for the C9 is the 18650 batteries and the ability to pair up with whatever

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #819 of 5,047
The harder the full-size is to drive, the more differences the C9 will pull ahead of Max. However, I do agree that it isn’t worth stacking up. You either compromise and stay with Max, or go for Desktop. Otherwise DMP Z1 or M30. Unless staying portable is what you want and squeezing every last juice.

But then, the largest perks for the C9 is the 18650 batteries and the ability to pair up with whatever

Argh, I'm still excited to receive the Max but fear it might not have the power I'd need/want for my use case after all.

Looks like my ideal transportable still might not exist.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #820 of 5,047
Argh, I'm still excited to receive the Max but fear it might not have the power I'd need/want for my use case after all.

Looks like my ideal transportable still might not exist.
What are you looking to drive it with ? The more power a device can output, the more heat and battery consumption it would put out

I think such powerful DAP will come, but not yet now. May be in a couple years ?

Regardless, to be able to drive full-size to some of it degrees isn’t easy and I am glad we are here

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #821 of 5,047
What are you looking to drive it with ? The more power a device can output, the more heat and battery consumption it would put out

I think such powerful DAP will come, but not yet now. May be in a couple years ?

ZMF Verite Closed.

It should hopefully be OK in the end since despite being 300ohm its sensitivity is 98db/mw.

Plus despite my constant asking for specs I know the end numbers aren't going to tell the whole story - my Sassy GT outputs around 180mw at 300ohm but I found it to have more driving power than the C9. The GT was set up to drive HPs with some power reservoir configuration yada yada that is way above my head but supposedly removed power delivery bottlenecks, which seems to play out in driving power vs the C9. Maybe it has to do with the C9 being set up more for IEMs despite its greater output power of 320mw at 300ohm, on paper.

So, hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised!

Edit: Or maybe that DAP exists in a couple of months if iBasso comes out with some crazy desktop amp module for the DX300 like you suggested in that thread, has always been my dream for them to come up with some sort of oversized amp module for HPs!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #822 of 5,047
ZMF Verite Closed.

It should hopefully be OK in the end since despite being 300ohm its sensitivity is 98db/mw.

Plus despite my constant asking for specs I know the end numbers aren't going to tell the whole story - my Sassy GT outputs around 180mw at 300ohm but I found it to have more driving power than the C9. The GT was set up to drive HPs with some power reservoir configuration yada yada that is way above my head but supposedly removed power delivery bottlenecks, which seems to play out in driving power vs the C9. Maybe it has to do with the C9 being set up more for IEMs despite its greater output power of 320mw at 300ohm, on paper.

Edit: Or maybe that DAP exists in a couple of months if iBasso comes out with some crazy desktop amp module for the DX300 like you suggested in that thread, has always been my dream for them to come up with some sort of oversized amp module for HPs!
Well, without wishing to detract from the thread, I will say the C9 drives the VC very well. I never go beyond 1pm, meaning there's a lot of headroom to spare. More importantly, it drives them with a convincing sense of dynamics and speed.

Please let me know how the Max sounds, though, with the VC. I'm also in the market for a non-stackable alternative to the C9/A02 combo.

Aug 16, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #823 of 5,047
ZMF Verite Closed.

Edit: Maybe in a couple of months if iBasso comes out with some crazy desktop amp module for the DX300 like you suggested in that thread, has always been my dream for them to come up with some sort of oversized amp module for HPs!
It is because of the voltage swings in total. Both Max and C9 are pretty much running on 16-17V swings.

Desktop are all running 24V to even 60V in voltage swing, depends on the design.

For example car topology, there is no replacement for displacement! Yes, you can tune a little 2.0L with turbo charge and so on, but in the end, it won’t out perform any NA 8.0L. Because there will be turbo large and so on….given that the portable units are still running in a compact form with battery packs. It isn’t easy for them to go all out and replace desktop, but if it does, then who would want to buy it ?

The Shanling M30 is running on 30V swings and DMP Z1 is 24V swing. Both of them are categorized as Desktop devices. But will you go around carrying it ? Probably not

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #825 of 5,047
Well, without wishing to detract from the thread, I will say the C9 drives the VC very well. I never go beyond 1pm, meaning there's a lot of headroom to spare. More importantly, it drives them with a convincing sense of dynamics and speed.

Please let me know how the Max sounds, though, with the VC. I'm also in the market for a non-stackable alternative to the C9/A02 combo.

For sure, I very much enjoyed the C9/DX312 stack!

But the C9 is also bloody pricey (and perhaps rightfully so) and if I could avoid a stack with something like the DX300 Max then that would be perfect.

Will keep you posted :)

(and if anyone else received their 300 Max before us and has a ZMF their thoughts would be greatly appreciated!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back