iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #556 of 5,051
Nice initial write up to 'whet' our appetite. Zeppelin's info was also useful.
Many thanks.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #559 of 5,051
Gosh! It’s mahoosive! Transport that about and you’d have yourself a workout. Neehow!

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #560 of 5,051
Gosh! It’s mahoosive! Transport that about and you’d have yourself a workout. Neehow!
You will need a shoulder strap to carry it like a purse. XD

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #561 of 5,051
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #566 of 5,051
so we boldly let go of our hands and feet this time, and use some discontinued capacitors that we think sound very good for tuning. There are BC capacitors from the Philips era and Siemens antique axial capacitors
Ok, So from you Chinese translation I quoted above, I researched the cap types used in the Titanium version, and so far, my research of the "Siemens antique axial capacitors", is that they are very high resolution, very low coloration cap, with No "mojo" whatsoever:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/closest-sounding-cap-to-old-pio.68140/

Then the "BC capacitors from the Philips era", seems to be a purely a nostalgic move, since historically this was a popular type because it had the trait of superior stability(at the time):
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97420

So looks like the "tunning" is more like a "nothing-burger"...
My guess is for extra "nos" exclusivity, giving either no change, or neutral sound. 🙂

Im pretty sure whatever standard caps used in steel model, are already optimal with the latest brand quality caps.😛

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #567 of 5,051
Ok, So I researched the cap types used in the Titanium version, and so far, my research of the "Siemens antique axial capacitors", is that they are very high resolution, very low coloration cap, with No "mojo" whatsoever:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/closest-sounding-cap-to-old-pio.68140/

Then the "BC capacitors from the Philips era", seems to be a purely a nostalgic move, since historically this was a popular type because it had the trait of superior stability(at the time):
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97420

So looks like the "tunning" is more like a "nothing-burger"...
My guess is for extra "nos" exclusivity, giving either a neutral or possibly softer sound. 🙂

Im pretty sure whatever standard caps used in steel model, are already optimal with the latest brand quality caps.😛

I was SO confused about what you quoted me on, cause I could not figure out when the heck I would be talking about Boldly letting our hands and feet go 🤣

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #568 of 5,051
I was SO confused about what you quoted me on, cause I could not figure out when the heck I would be talking about Boldly letting our hands and feet go 🤣
Haha your translation from Chinese.
I assume they meant to say, "let out all the stops", or , "go overboard" and be creative.

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #569 of 5,051
Haha your translation from Chinese.
I assume they meant to say, "let out all the stops", or , "go overboard" and be creative.

Yep chased it down afterwards :)

Either way that's a positive point of view you have on it, I still think it was a crummy way to launch without providing visibility as to what the options for purchase might be, even if best-case is their performance is equal with different flavors (I would still like to choose my flavor).

At the same time I'm not going to stay angry about it, just decreased my opinion of iBasso as a brand and make me take a harder look at comparable products from other competitors. Is what it is.

Also I'm looking forward to just getting it finally or at least get some final specs while we wait!!

I've reached out to Zeppelin and Co to see if they would be able to share, if they do I can post here as well.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #570 of 5,051
even if best-case is their performance is equal with different flavors (I would still like to choose my flavor).
If I had option to choose a "flavor", it would be based on how the unit originally sounds. Sometimes modding a unit takes it away from neutrality, rather than improving it, so I would be careful to choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back