iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Apr 24, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #4,531 of 5,047
I’m just down to a DAP and looking for a good headphone pairing. Sold everything else.

Maybe add a C9 to widen the field of options?

I can only speak for myself but with the Max as with everything else, you'll get a range of opinions as to how it performs with... well anything.

But I was looking for a truly transportable all in one, had the DX300 and other iBasso DAPs as they provided the best amps for the most part for DAPs, and nothing has bested the DX300 Max for me given that use case.

I owned the C9 and the Phatlab Sassy GT as portable amps, for reference.

I paired the DX300 (non-max) with the C9 and did not find it to be a step up over the Max - it sounded a bit too soft overall without really being soft due to a tube-like tuning or anything from the C9. Just didn't sound as dynamic, to me. Yet I know the C9 does have a wee bit more power than the Max. This pairing it with the ZMF VC (and all other impressions I mention in this post).

I actually preferred the Sassy GT and found it to have more juice than the C9 despite the difference in output power on paper - something to do with how the amp itself is set up, but my impressions were matched by having the volume of the GT set to 10 o'clockish for the GT vs noon+ on the C9 regarding juice. Tonality wise I thought the GT had better dynamics while also being more tubey, though the C9 edged it out in staging width, whereas the GT was a bit more center-focused.

That said none of them were a true improvement over the Max as far as how well I felt they could drive the VC.

I also had the Empyrean paired with the DX300 and the C9, and while it drove it fully well I just didn't love the Empyrean's tuning overall - ZMFs just nail that natural, organic tuning without sacrificing detail or dynamica far better than the Empy can, IMO.

I think one option for you to try with the Max, if you don't like how it pairs with your ZMFs, is the Rosson RAD-0, which might be easier to drive and is akin to ZMFs in planar form as far as tuning.

I have not heard the RAD-0 so can't comment myself but Tyler's Ecletcic on YouTube recently did a review of them and he's a big ZMF guy, so his comparisons would come in handy. There's also a RAD-0 on sale in classifieds right now (be warned the impressions I've read are largely extremely positive for SQ but very negative for comfort, aside from a mod thaylt a fellow HF'er can make, apparently).

I know I've given you a lot of feedback on the Max and it seems like you haven't found what you're looking for yet - I'm just sharing what opinions I've gathered so far as we seem to have a similar goal and I've tinkered a bit in trying to find the best solution, so I hope this helps!

Apr 24, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #4,532 of 5,047
I can only speak for myself but with the Max as with everything else, you'll get a range of opinions as to how it performs with... well anything.

But I was looking for a truly transportable all in one, had the DX300 and other iBasso DAPs as they provided the best amps for the most part for DAPs, and nothing has bested the DX300 Max for me given that use case.

I owned the C9 and the Phatlab Sassy GT as portable amps, for reference.

I paired the DX300 (non-max) with the C9 and did not find it to be a step up over the Max - it sounded a bit too soft overall without really being soft due to a tube-like tuning or anything from the C9. Just didn't sound as dynamic, to me. Yet I know the C9 does have a wee bit more power than the Max. This pairing it with the ZMF VC (and all other impressions I mention in this post).

I actually preferred the Sassy GT and found it to have more juice than the C9 despite the difference in output power on paper - something to do with how the amp itself is set up, but my impressions were matched by having the volume of the GT set to 10 o'clockish for the GT vs noon+ on the C9 regarding juice. Tonality wise I thought the GT had better dynamics while also being more tubey, though the C9 edged it out in staging width, whereas the GT was a bit more center-focused.

That said none of them were a true improvement over the Max as far as how well I felt they could drive the VC.

I also had the Empyrean paired with the DX300 and the C9, and while it drove it fully well I just didn't love the Empyrean's tuning overall - ZMFs just nail that natural, organic tuning without sacrificing detail or dynamica far better than the Empy can, IMO.

I think one option for you to try with the Max, if you don't like how it pairs with your ZMFs, is the Rosson RAD-0, which might be easier to drive and is akin to ZMFs in planar form as far as tuning.

I have not heard the RAD-0 so can't comment myself but Tyler's Ecletcic on YouTube recently did a review of them and he's a big ZMF guy, so his comparisons would come in handy. There's also a RAD-0 on sale in classifieds right now (be warned the impressions I've read are largely extremely positive for SQ but very negative for comfort, aside from a mod thaylt a fellow HF'er can make, apparently).

I know I've given you a lot of feedback on the Max and it seems like you haven't found what you're looking for yet - I'm just sharing what opinions I've gathered so far as we seem to have a similar goal and I've tinkered a bit in trying to find the best solution, so I hope this helps!

I can second this. The C9 sounds more congested and less dynamic than straight out of my daps. While it indeed can get louder though.

The tubes do not feel like they come into play with how cold-neutral the presentation sounds.

It's a good amp, but a bad source.

Apr 24, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #4,533 of 5,047
It all comes down to the amp power supplies. Both maxes and C9 are running off from the same 8.7V rails. The differences is that Max runs off from a more pure battery management system VS C9 which runs off from a more generic battery management systems, and it makes senses, because the C9 has replaceable battery, so it needs all the safety measurements it can to stay safe. The Max is different, it was built to be dedicated toward power delivery from the battery as a dedicated musical player. Hence the battery is fixed and very hard to come off. But that doesn’t render it being unfriendly to battery replacement either.

I still love my 2Max

ohm laws is physics, if you trade for more voltage, you can cheat and have a higher measured output, but you will trade off your transients and current handling. There is no way to defy physics :). So the C9 can get louder than Maxes, but that doesn’t mean it can be more capable

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #4,534 of 5,047
If any one wants I can sell my C9 amp. That is how confident I am of liking my dx300 amp11mki more for my HE6SE.

This sounds less bass slammy
20220420_215217.jpg

While this sounds more bass slammy and dynamic in my HE6SE:
20210609_181936.jpg

Only the Focal Utopia benefits from my dx300MAX. But even then, it still sounds more pleasing out of the dx300 amp11mki more; better seperation and the bass slam keeps its full potential.

The dx300Max SS doesn't make the dx300 obsolete.

Dx300Max SS only a good line-out source if you want the AKM fluid velvety presentation. Probably need one of those mem slam stack amps like that Bryston amp for a desktop setup.
It’s all subjective. I’d rather have the velvety sound. If I want something different I would just get the SP2000.

I still have a Violectric V281 if I really wanted a
Desktop amp, but not looking to use wall power.

Regardless, the OG HE6 cannot be power to its potential by anything portable.

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #4,535 of 5,047
I think the issue is not the Max, but the headphones. I like headphones that are a little more laid back and musical, as opposed to clinical and hyper detailed. However the Elite are even too soft for my tastes.

When I thought about piggybacking an amp, I figured that would give me more headphone options, but I’ll see what I can find that will work with the power of the Max.

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #4,536 of 5,047
I think the issue is not the Max, but the headphones. I like headphones that are a little more laid back and musical, as opposed to clinical and hyper detailed. However the Elite are even too soft for my tastes.

When I thought about piggybacking an amp, I figured that would give me more headphone options, but I’ll see what I can find that will work with the power of the Max.

The Utopia's intensity gets balanced out by the 300MAX SS and makes for a good option. Good synnergy if you want the AKM velvety sound.

If you want a headphone that is inherently laidback, out of what I own, the JVC Victor HA-WM90-B is the best laidback headphone I got. Warm, without being dark. Smooth highs without being dark, but pinnae gain is definitely less than nuetral.........and closed back!
But.....the....price......

20220225_121702.jpg

Attachments

• 20220225_121440.jpg
    20220225_121440.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220225_121450.jpg
    20220225_121450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220225_121407.jpg
    20220225_121407.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220225_121627.jpg
    20220225_121627.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220225_121341.jpg
    20220225_121341.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #4,537 of 5,047
The Utopia's intensity gets balanced out by the 300MAX SS and makes for a good option. Good synnergy if you want the AKM velvety sound.

If you want a headphone that is inherently laidback, out of what I own, the JVC Victor HA-WM90-B is the best laidback headphone I got. Warm, without being dark. Smooth highs without being dark, but pinnae gain is definitely less than nuetral.........and closed back!

20220225_121702.jpg
For me personally, the Utopia suck. It’s like root canal for your ears.

I don’t know anything about the JVC, but if I was looking to spend that kind of money I would have stayed with my Abyss 1266 TC. That’s end game.

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #4,538 of 5,047
yuo, but then we go full circle needin the Abyss with bigger desktop gear investments compared to this dynamic JVC-Victor. Of course there isn't anyone's 2nd opinion to validate my take on it.

But the Utopia works out great on the dx300amp11mki & the dx300max.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #4,540 of 5,047
If you have a Hifiman planar, then get the dx300 and use the amp11mki module.

I now wish I could try out the Dx300MAX Titanium model. Maybe I'll send out my SS model to NPaudio to get EXN'd. Or keep the dx300MAX for sets like the Utopia exclusively
On just the technical basis aspect, the NPAudio is far more advanced. Surface mount parts are replaced which automatically means lower noise floor. More parts replaced with noticeably higher quality parts than even the Ti....
Yes there is no denying the NP Audio mod is far superior to any version 3Max.
Makes me whish I sent mine in, instead of selling.

That one reminds me alot in the "looks department" of the audio technica wp900.
20220214_091614.jpg

Although this one is a juicy signature, it is very efficient so works well with any dap. I can't sell it because of those dam beautiful cups lol.

If you want that satisfying "planar" sound for using with the 3MAX, I would definitely look into HEK variants.
SmartSelect_20220425-124603_Photos.jpg

That one was my own moded version.

If your ear is sensitive with upper spectrum, definitely would pick the LCD5 with the max.
IMG_20211031_150211.jpg

I found it works impressively with the Max.
Since I don't have treble issue I rather go for the more balanced HEKV2.

Currently my fave is my own HD800M version,
And for IEM I like the Indigo. Posted about it recently in threads. 👍

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #4,542 of 5,047
Hi guys.
Im interested in modifying the amp12 module for my Ibasso dx300.
When i had ibasso dx220 I modified the amp8 and amp9 modules with the fidelizer mod. Rally enjoyed amp8 with his mod. Stock amp8 had a similar sonic signature to amp12.

I would like to know the changes in sound signature of the different mods. I think that amp12 sounds great but maybe too flat.
I would like it to gain some extra punch and a more organic sound without losing treble extension or too much scene.

Best Regards.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,543 of 5,047
Hi guys.
Im interested in modifying the amp12 module for my Ibasso dx300.
When i had ibasso dx220 I modified the amp8 and amp9 modules with the fidelizer mod. Rally enjoyed amp8 with his mod. Stock amp8 had a similar sonic signature to amp12.

I would like to know the changes in sound signature of the different mods. I think that amp12 sounds great but maybe too flat.
I would like it to gain some extra punch and a more organic sound without losing treble extension or too much scene.

Best Regards.
The right thread to ask is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...ew-firmware-09-29-21-1-04-305.943221/page-813

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #4,545 of 5,047
I’m going to demo the Stellia and Clear MG to tomorrow. Then I’ll decide on the HEK V1.

Does anyone know if the new ZMF Atrium open back can be driven with the Max?
I had the VC and I thought the Max paired great with it.

If I recall correctly I think you had a VC and didn't think the Max drove it properly? If so then you'd likely dislike the Atrium pairing as it is slightly less sensitive than the VC. If I'm wrong and that wasn't you... then it very well might, I'm expecting my Atrium to come soon and can report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back