iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 13, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,336 of 3,626
So far I am liking what I hear. To me it is better than my DX200 with Amp8EX, the sound is cleaner and clearer. So far I only have 5 hours on the Max and have only listened with my modded Fostex T50RP mk III.

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,337 of 3,626
Dx228EX was and still is better than my stock Wm1Z and WM1A. The reason why I also modified those Walkmans were because I wanted them to sound better, at least the airiness and separations, and in the end I did achieve what I aimed for. I still opted for my DX228EX over an SP2K, and it was stated clearly, the SP2K edged out on staging but behind in timbres....and those views of mine would never change, period. The same thing for the MAX, timbres and liquidity is dry, dryer than the DX228EX, but soundstage and separations are vastly superiors to even SP2K and only behind DMP. The reason why DMP is another tier is that it has much better timbres density and pitch accuracy with a much blacker background.

Beside, it is also not wrong when you mentioned about new gears and “wowww....” and then it changes. It is what people is calling “honey moon period”, and it happens to everybody, I would pity any souls who never had any excitement or honeymoon period with new stuff.

Also, let me tag @hshock76 who currently has all of those gears mentioned to bring in some clarifications.

I am just like you, I enjoy what sound good, with the exception that I can possibly squeeze out some more performances by modifications. I am not selling any modifications services, and so, please don’t ask me to perform anything. Whatever I modify are all shared as DIY (follow the recipes and ask any qualified technicians to perform the mod), and people with some technical backgrounds can also do and changes stuff they want to. I am not only a fan of what sound good, but also a fan of DIY people.

So, let’s get back to the MAX. I am not a fan of anything particularly, Ibasso has it own house sound, and with the MAX, Ibasso hit a home run out of the park. The Max is the best stock player that performed ways beyond it price point and will not back down from any other portable players.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,338 of 3,626
Dx228EX was and still is better than my stock Wm1Z and WM1A. The reason why I also modified those Walkmans were because I wanted them to sound better, at least the airiness and separations, and in the end I did achieve what I aimed for. I still opted for my DX228EX over an SP2K, and it was stated clearly, the SP2K edged out on staging but behind in timbres....and those views of mine would never change, period. The same thing for the MAX, timbres and liquidity is dry, dryer than the DX228EX, but soundstage and separations are vastly superiors to even SP2K and only behind DMP. The reason why DMP is another tier is that it has much better timbres density and pitch accuracy with a much blacker background.

Beside, it is also not wrong when you mentioned about new gears and “wowww....” and then it changes. It is what people is calling “honey moon period”, and it happens to everybody, I would pity any souls who never had any excitement or honeymoon period with new stuff.

Also, let me tag @hshock76 who currently has all of those gears mentioned to bring in some clarifications.

I am just like you, I enjoy what sound good, with the exception that I can possibly squeeze out some more performances by modifications. I am not selling any modifications services, and so, please don’t ask me to perform anything. Whatever I modify are all shared as DIY (follow the recipes and ask any qualified technicians to perform the mod), and people with some technical backgrounds can also do and changes stuff they want to. I am not only a fan of what sound good, but also a fan of DIY people.

I found the DX160 to be quite dry but I feel the Max really addresses this well with the sound presentation. I’m very impressed with the Max so far.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,340 of 3,626
I found the DX160 to be quite dry but I feel the Max really addresses this well with the sound presentation. I’m very impressed with the Max so far.
Strange, the one thing I have never found the DX160 to be is dry. I have the 2019 and 2020 and the 2020 is even more open and dynamic than the 2019 but the 19 does a fine job.

The Max really takes some time to even out. And the better quality music you feed it, IMO, the more you will hear that you have not heard from another dap. But you have to get the hours on it. The WM1Z, can't compete with it, at all.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,341 of 3,626
I am expecting the Max Ex, this forum is for business to, unfortunately, and of course if many people buys the Max, the more people will make the Mod, I am not saying is a bad thing, about the sp2000 you maybe even made the complete burn In, for me still the best player I ever heard by a significant margin, but that's my taste and my opinion

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #1,342 of 3,626
Strange, the one thing I have never found the DX160 to be is dry. I have the 2019 and 2020 and the 2020 is even more open and dynamic than the 2019 but the 19 does a fine job.

The Max really takes some time to even out. And the better quality music you feed it, IMO, the more you will hear that you have not heard from another dap. But you have to get the hours on it. The WM1Z, can't compete with it, at all.

I am very much enjoying every moment with the Max so far :)

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,343 of 3,626
I’ve been really intrigued by the MAX. I haven’t heard Ibasso’s other products, but all of these impressions are really helpful and inching me towards a purchase.

Has anyone tried this with the ZMF Aeolus? Would this be a nice replacement for an entire desktop setup? I’m going to be moving around the country a lot for work the next year (every ~4 months) so if I can pare down my desktop gear to this, it would make life easier, though my wallet lighter 😂.

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #1,344 of 3,626
I have noticed today, the Max has gotten a little more body to the sound. It was fine before but I notice a subtle change towards more fullness to the sound,

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #1,345 of 3,626

So, let’s get back to the MAX. I am not a fan of anything particularly, Ibasso has it own house sound, and with the MAX, Ibasso hit a home run out of the park. The Max is the best stock player that performed ways beyond it price point and will not back down from any other portable players.

I have a lot of listening to do in the next 1-2 weeks ... I have @Whitigir 's DX228EX (EX Modded DX220 and Amp8EX), his 1Z-EM, 1A-EM and MAX is coming on Monday followed by @Vitaly2017 's Romi 1Z on Wed/Thur. Sonic overload! I will post more in their respective threads but here's a very quick low down;

The timbres on both modded 1Z and 1A will be damn hard to surpass. They just sound so correct and real. Coupled with Sony's signature body and density on notes which are further enhance by @Whitigir 's HW and FW mods, they are formidable music playing machines. The EX modded DX220 coupled with the Amp8 EX is a sound stage animal. I believe most have the Amp8EX so I do not think I need to highlight its abiltiies... What caught my attention is the extra sound stage the modded player brings. I am not just talking about hearing instruments to the fair left or right but rather the presence and ambiance the player provided. It's a huge musical sphere with no voids. U "hear" the presence even when there is nothing playing in that space.

From what I am reading, the sound stage of the MAX is even larger than that of the DX228EX so Monday can't come sooner and lots of burn in to do next week.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #1,346 of 3,626
I have a lot of listening to do in the next 1-2 weeks ... I have @Whitigir 's DX228EX (EX Modded DX220 and Amp8EX), his 1Z-EM, 1A-EM and MAX is coming on Monday followed by @Vitaly2017 's Romi 1Z on Wed/Thur. Sonic overload! I will post more in their respective threads but here's a very quick low down;

The timbres on both modded 1Z and 1A will be damn hard to surpass. They just sound so correct and real. Coupled with Sony's signature body and density on notes which are further enhance by @Whitigir 's HW and FW mods, they are formidable music playing machines. The EX modded DX220 coupled with the Amp8 EX is a sound stage animal. I believe most have the Amp8EX so I do not think I need to highlight its abiltiies... What caught my attention is the extra sound stage the modded player brings. I am not just talking about hearing instruments to the fair left or right but rather the presence and ambiance the player provided. It's a huge musical sphere with no voids. U "hear" the presence even when there is nothing playing in that space.

From what I am reading, the sound stage of the MAX is even larger than that of the DX228EX so Monday can't come sooner and lots of burn in to do next week.

I have no doubts you will love Bg caps ! 🥰🙃🙂

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,347 of 3,626
Now i am just trying to understand and find the words to articulate the present sound.

2FAEAF3A-3DC8-4028-82EF-F999402F29E2.jpeg

The journey continues:
I am updating my journey every few days on the Head pie site

Sunday morning June 14th, 2020.

Using the same four Campfire Audio IEMs to have a bit of continuity.

Ara - reference/studio, articulate.
MW10 - linear/flat with dynamism.
Andromeda 2020. Slight w, warm.
Veering more towards to linear than past v shaped OG. andros.
Solaris 2020 - holographic, bass - hybrid, coherent.

At around 220 hours at a rough guess
there have been a few micro improvements. At this point overall the dap has settled down rather well and i am not expecting any major changes at this point - but i could be wrong.

Fluidity and liquidity have improved since yesterday a bit more.
It could do with more ‘timbres density’ as Head fier Whitigir basically stated.

Upping the volume does not give an illusion of greater density as with cheaper daps (Usually more of a mush, than a dense clarity). Just a louder version of what is delivered at low volume. Its consistent.

The sound is a nice mix of Amp1mk2 and amp7/8 with some tweaks - but it is still revealing itself. I am just documenting the journey and hope to write a summary eventually when all is settled down.

Low gain at present gives a spaciousness and wide sound stage with sweet air and treble approaching reference with a hint of color.

Mid gain is only a slight rise in volume (High is a bigger jump) and the mids come up more to the vocals giving an illusion of more density.

Using Campfire Audio Cascade with SXC-8 conclusions were largely the same as with the IEMs (4.4mm and 3.5mm - with adapter - ports).

Sunday afternoon

Swapping over to Final Audio A8000 for something different. Now it seems to be a bit more settled.
Also playing around with different tracks and various artists.

A bit more lower end coming up, a bit of density and coherent complexity?

I hope so.

(i switched back to the familiar Andro 2020 at this point to check it was not the A8000 fooling me).

I do believe the mids are coming into play.

I may have jumped the gun on nearing the burn in and maturation process...

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,350 of 3,626
All you need is some other transportable DAPs. Like a 2Go/Hugo2 and a Quloos QA390.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back