iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #46 of 3,627
So you suggest just buy a dx220 and not to buy any amps ?

In my opinion stock amp1mk2 is the best allrounder because it has something for everyone. It's not to warm, not to analitycal, very smooth and yet still vivid. If you want more sparkly highs, bigger bass generally bigger sound go with AMP8 but it will not be as refined, precise and smooth. AMP9 is yet again different animal with tube magic, liquid smooth midrange, and soft ambient glow but with lower resolution, more hiss, less power.

To answer your question directly if I didn't own Sony WM1A I would buy DX220 to use it with stock amp1mk2 which is awesome. Too bad I have to return it after the review :wink:

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #47 of 3,627
In my opinion stock amp1mk2 is the best allrounder because it has something for everyone. It's not to warm, not to analitycal, very smooth and yet still vivid. If you want more sparkly highs, bigger bass generally bigger sound go with AMP8 but it will not be as refined, precise and smooth. AMP9 is yet again different animal with tube magic, liquid smooth midrange, and soft ambient glow but with lower resolution, more hiss, less power.

To answer your question directly if I didn't own Sony WM1A I would buy DX220 to use it with stock amp1mk2 which is awesome. Too bad I have to return it after the review :wink:

Hmmm you sayin 1a is better?

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #48 of 3,627
If you make blanket statements behind companies strategies, probably best to state sources.

From my experience in working with DSPs, the large corp DSPs (TI, analog, Cirrus Logic) are typically for much broader applications that require a lot more processing power than simple upsampling/conversions/filtering needed in dacs/daps etc. Hence dedicated parts for those basic applications.
And you are also correct there. You are saying that you work in development with IC ? And you don’t think they generate noises ?

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #49 of 3,627
Hmmm you sayin 1a is better?

No, but I like it little bit more and the huge advantage it has Is that already own the WM1A :wink: The thing is that they are close and if I would have to rate each aspect in a point by point manner the DX220 would win. Difference is with tonality, WM1A is warmer (but not really all that warm in general, more like warmish neutral) and deeper sounding than DX220 but has lower resolution and is not as precise and smooth. I would say that WM1A sounds somewhere between AMP1mk2 and AMP8 but with more melodious midrange and completely different, more impactful of bass.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #50 of 3,627
No, but I like it little bit more and the huge advantage it has Is that already own the WM1A :wink: The thing is that they are close and if I would have to rate each aspect in a point by point manner the DX220 would win. Difference is with tonality, WM1A is warmer (but not really all that warm in general, more like warmish neutral) and deeper sounding than DX220 but has lower resolution and is not as precise and smooth. I would say that WM1A sounds somewhere between AMP1mk2 and AMP8 but with more melodious midrange and completely different, more impactful of bass.

Then my 1z is definitely like amp 9 + all the properties you mentioned )
I hope dx220max can push as high as 1z )
I know also ibasso has a preference to a reference and neutral side of sound signature also id add it has a cold metallic touch at top.

When i switched to 1z it was a huge difference really warm clear and smoothe resonant sound transition.

Also dx208 had visceral bass impact and fast.
1z is like made to move bass drivers its massive and bassyy
Also find 1z to be slightly very warmy and that reduces slightly resolution but very minimal.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #52 of 3,627
I would've preferred the 9038s too. But, if it came down to just being able to put 9038 on the box without an implementation that could take advantage of them, I would rather have 9028s and resources properly balanced for maximum performance.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #54 of 3,627
Hey Ibasso said they are using highest quality components possible
... for the price of the product. Don't forget: there is DX200, and there is more expensive DX200Ti, and some priceless Dx200CuAu! The difference not only in casing materials, but also in components used. The base schematics is the same. The sound quality is quite different.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #55 of 3,627
... for the price of the product. Don't forget: there is DX200, and there is more expensive DX200Ti, and some priceless Dx200CuAu! The difference not only in casing materials, but also in components used. The base schematics is the same. The sound quality is quite different.

Oh I understand all the differences and sonic characteristic changes.
But so far I didnt found the ibasso sound signature to my liking sadly.
I love there approach and high end specs and affordability.
So sad i dont get along the sound sig and the hiss of the dx200 was a big no no.

If ibasso can work there magic and make there dap sound as smoothe and gentle possible. They could use hdv820 as an example. It has ess 9018 and sounded absolutely fabulously and no hiss!
Ibasso need to make there sound sig more delicate natural and velvety with slight warmth and smoothness.

Its all beautiful being a reference tuning but thats not what make music to sound wonderful and enjoyable

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #56 of 3,627
I think I got a good example.

You got a girl in front of you and you look at her booty.
Do you prefer curves and nice waves or flat and straight one that less atractive?

Music is the same need those curves and waves to have beautiful sound.
Its all about pleasure) and here we are talking about earplasure ) ) )

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #57 of 3,627
I think I got a good example.

You got a girl in front of you and you look at her booty.
Do you prefer curves and nice waves or flat and straight one that less atractive?

Music is the same need those curves and waves to have beautiful sound.
Its all about pleasure) and here we are talking about earplasure ) ) )
Girl curves can be cosmetically enhanced

Digital music can be Digitally EQ

Analog can be analog EQ

All personal preferences is simply an excuse to keep on wasting money ....LoL

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #58 of 3,627
Girl curves can be cosmetically enhanced

Digital music can be Digitally EQ

Analog can be analog EQ

All personal preferences is simply an excuse to keep on wasting money ....LoL

lOl i prefer a girl with a natural look over a overly make up )

Same goes with music and thats why I use my 1z with the switch set at direct source! And yes it sounds better

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #59 of 3,627
WM1A is better than dx220 only in two things, it doesn’t generate heat and its battery last for weeks. In aspect of sound dx220 is far ahead.

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #60 of 3,627
WM1A is better than dx220 only in two things, it doesn’t generate heat and its battery last for weeks. In aspect of sound dx220 is far ahead.
Obvious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back