iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jul 27, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #3,481 of 3,626
I suppose it is aging and heating. Like sometimes lipo expands after long usage maybe. General degredation is what I am thinking.
Not uncommon. My iPhones have done it and Samsung. I would email Paul for the batteries.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #3,482 of 3,626
Just thought I'd share this. I posted it on the Empire Ears thread a couple of days ago, but it might be helpful to people here (and concerns the DX220MAX), so here goes:

I was listening to my Empire Ears Phantom on the Sony WM1Z (with MrWalkman's 'Midnight Plus' custom FW).
Oh, and I'm using an Effect Audio Ares II 8-wire cable.
Now the Phantom has that distinctive dark, rich and warm sound with stunning timbre, but for me it was just a bit too intimate with this set up.

Switched over to the iBasso DX220MAX and the difference was - to my ears - immediately noticeable.
Significant increase in soundstage and holography, more note weight and power. Details popping out more.

Now I'm not saying that the DX220MAX is categorically better than the WM1Z; it's all about the synergy.

Rather, just to praise the synergy I found with this particular setup and recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to try it.
I have a feeling the same set up might work very well with the Legend X too, depending perhaps on what cable was being used?

Anyway, just sharing the joy. Please carry on about your business :D

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #3,484 of 3,626
Now I'm not saying that the DX220MAX is categorically better than the WM1Z; it's all about the synergy
I believe the synergy has ALOT to do with the choice of it's output stage.
A robust power output, has greater ability to tolerate difficult or unique loads.
Until recently, seems as most DAP manufacturers were focused on low noise (for iems), primarily, and are now finally coming around to making them more powerful. This opens them up for use with more headphones.
Yet I still don't see any current units catching up to the level of the 220max power output.
Maybey the upcoming fiio m17.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #3,485 of 3,626
Hi guys and gals,

I now have a used MAX since last week and the combination with my Focal Utopia is fantastic. On par with my old system (Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA-3 and Audio GD HE-9) sonically. I didn't feel that I lost anything in the trade. Really incredible how a (relatively) small device can do it all with such aplomb.

I need some advice from MAX users that tried or successfully downloaded the Lurker add on. I did every steps of the process, the content on the SD card is exactly what is supposed to bet (update.img replaced by firmware 1.25) but when I inserted themicro SD card in the MAX following Lurker's procedures, I got nothing but A new SD card is detected on the screen. No automatic update as supposed. And there is no way you can do it manually I think.

Do I missed anything?

Thanks for any hints or suggestions.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #3,486 of 3,626
Did you follow all directions?
You followed the process for the SD card preparation, but what about installing?
I think you have to turn the unit off and on again on startup for it to work but I don't remember it was that, or boot loader mode, I forgot.

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #3,487 of 3,626
This is 2MaxW2 and stock picture of 3Max. At least I can confirm that the improved stock amp in 3Max will outperform the stock 2Max. Together with the superior new output transistors adopting from the Amp12. The 3Max is no doubt having a better amplifier sections

172D7F21-D319-4F07-87C1-177CF5263DC0.jpeg79A2FCD6-20C3-4023-9F93-3341EB9AEF3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,488 of 3,626
While people may be taken Over by the newest toy from Ibasso, and I would recommend anyone who loves Ibasso and is able to, just grab the Dx300 as the latest release for joys and support to Ibasso. I would also like to remind 2Max owner that 2Max has it own technical advantages

For example, crosstalk is -119 while the new 3Max is -110. Both Dynamic range and THD remains similar

Also, people may think AK4499EQ is all the sweets, the ES9028Pro is no slacker , scoring in at 135DB Dynamic range as a mono configuration, each chip is Quad DAC and is 8 channel by itself ! The 4499EQ is only 4 channels per chip
There has never been a better time to buy used 2Max now, and with the available modifications for 2Max available. You may find some capable technicians to perform it and further enjoy the 2Max performances

6EDEC12B-26FC-49FC-8506-2C725C82E8EE.jpegFB0F6D35-DB47-41D2-AF2F-2CD52603ACC3.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #3,492 of 3,626
It is interesting to say that after the marketing of 3Max (Dx300MAX) that it has Ultimate mode and runs all 8 channels (4x2). I have looked again toward the Dx220 and 2Max (Dx220Max). I am thinking that the 2Max constantly running Ultimate mode of Stereo Quad Current Mode Output into Mono channel per chip and both chips into Balanced 4.4mm

So, once again, while 3Max is all the star, don’t forget that 2Max is also a force to reckon with :) . Cheers! Enjoy your 2Max. It is the best time to get a used 2Max now

Also, while the heat may concern some people but these Chips are operational upto 125C lol

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #3,493 of 3,626
It is interesting to say that after the marketing of 3Max (Dx300MAX) that it has Ultimate mode and runs all 8 channels (4x2). I have looked again toward the Dx220 and 2Max (Dx220Max). I am pretty sure that the 2Max constantly running Ultimate mode of Stereo Quad Current Mode Output into Mono channel per chip and both chips into Balanced 4.4mm

So, once again, while 3Max is all the star, don’t forget that 2Max is also a force to reckon with :) . Cheers! Enjoy your 2Max. It is the best time to get a used 2Max now
100% Agree.

The excellent performance of the 300 MAX pulls nothing away from the also excellent 220 MAX performance. Different sound signatures for sure but both truly excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back