iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #3,316 of 3,626
Just got my MAX the other day. Had about 55 hours on it. Sound is amazing already. I have read this entire thread and I'm still not clear if there is a charging solution using a single small charger w/ 2 outputs that will work for both inputs on the MAX?
Oh, I got # 85
Congratulations on getting the MAX! I can't answer your question myself, as I'm still using the 'old fashioned' 2 cable way, but I'd be interested to hear the answer too :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #3,318 of 3,626
The thing about lurker on top of purist is that....neither creator thinks it works =/ , I prefer lurker over the purist one actually. I think because it is easier to get done lol, and also the airiness that it brings
I have to agree. The lurker makes the bigger/better improvement and I would not want my unit without it.

The fact that I tried intalling both in reverse (adding the purist after the lurker) and did not achieve as good performance results, so it shows that the lurker is doing the better changes. So by adding it last, it maked the final results.

I have compared the Ibasso side by side to the Sony WM1Z(FE Firmware), LP6, AK SE200, and in doing so I realized that the ibasso was only superceeded in a bit of depth, but the details and power were made the unit the most vivid and powerful.
The LP6 had a touch more solidity and soundstage refinement, but in the end I found the ibasso more lively.

It is an unbeatable DAP pairing for an HD800 or other higher impedance unit.
Few desktop systems can make the HD800 sing as good as this ibasso 220Max DAP.

So it held it's own against some of the best, leading to a "preference" type choice.
Add the fact that it has dedicated line out to connect to a system, and this is a viable "final destination", regardless what new dap comes along.
:)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #3,320 of 3,626
The single charger solution has been discussed before but the catch is you need to have a charger that supports the 15V profile using USB PD plus you need to find a Type C to DC cable that can “trick” your charger to output 15V. This cable is not easy to find, I have only found a few on AliExpress and they happen to work well.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #3,321 of 3,626
Just got my MAX the other day. Had about 55 hours on it. Sound is amazing already. I have read this entire thread and I'm still not clear if there is a charging solution using a single small charger w/ 2 outputs that will work for both inputs on the MAX?
Oh, I got # 85
I'm using this cable with the USB charger like this.

USB PD 15V trigger cable for charging analog section battery (You can also use 12V one.)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001265532265.html

USB PD charger with 2 outputs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PLR7T1M/ (In case to use the stock USB-A to C cable to charge the digital section battery)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MWG612F/ (In case to use a USB-C to C cable)

EDIT: Here is the required wattage. So I think 45W charger is enough for the purpose.

On charging analog section with 15V trigger cable:
DX220Max_Analog_Section.JPG

(It's about 17.9V x 0.36A = 6.44W with the stock AC adaptor.)

On charging digital section:
DX220Max_Digital_Section.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,322 of 3,626
I bought the 220Max from a friend who had only used it a few times. Received it yesterday and love the sound already. I also installed USB Audio Player Pro from Google Play so I can play music stored on my NAS as well as stream high def from Qobuz. The only issue I have is that when I turn on USB DAC mode in the built-in MangoPlayer app and connect the 220Max to my Mac, it doesn't show up as a new sound device. I tried both my old 2016 MacBook Pro and the new 2020 M1 MacBook Air with the same results, both are running macOS Big Sur 11.2.2. I tried to use two Android-based devices, a Shanling M6 Pro and a Pixel 4XL, both running UAPP and in both cases the 220Max was recognized as a USB DAC. Can anyone advice how to troubleshoot the macOS issue? All my other USB DACs work fine with my Macs. Will reset the 220Max to factory default help? Thanks!

Peter

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #3,323 of 3,626
Layman1, how does the MAX pair with the MEST?
Hi there, just to let you know that I've seen your message and I'm not ignoring it!
I'm in the middle of writing reviews of the DX220MAX, DX300 and IT07 right now. I've had a listen with the MEST with both DAPs, but would like to do a bit more critical listening with the DX220MAX before I answer your question!
I can tell you this for now though; it certainly doesn't sound bad :wink:

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #3,324 of 3,626
I'm using this cable with the USB charger like this.

USB PD 15V trigger cable for charging analog section battery (You can also use 12V one.)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001265532265.html

USB PD charger with 2 outputs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PLR7T1M/ (In case to use the stock USB-A to C cable to charge the digital section battery)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MWG612F/ (In case to use a USB-C to C cable)

EDIT: Here is the required wattage. So I think 45W charger is enough for the purpose.

On charging analog section with 15V trigger cable:
DX220Max_Analog_Section.JPG
(It's about 17.9V x 0.36A = 6.44W with the stock AC adaptor.)

On charging digital section:
DX220Max_Digital_Section.JPG

Hey, thanks for this post, very helpful!
I'm hoping someone more technically-minded than me can find a similar adaptor in the UK and post it here for any UK people :D

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #3,325 of 3,626
:fries:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #3,326 of 3,626
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #3,327 of 3,626
I'm wanting to only use the Mango player side as I just listen to my 1TB card. Is there a way to name playlists there? Can't seem to figure it out. I'm an old tech challenged....

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #3,328 of 3,626
I bought the 220Max from a friend who had only used it a few times. Received it yesterday and love the sound already. I also installed USB Audio Player Pro from Google Play so I can play music stored on my NAS as well as stream high def from Qobuz. The only issue I have is that when I turn on USB DAC mode in the built-in MangoPlayer app and connect the 220Max to my Mac, it doesn't show up as a new sound device. I tried both my old 2016 MacBook Pro and the new 2020 M1 MacBook Air with the same results, both are running macOS Big Sur 11.2.2. I tried to use two Android-based devices, a Shanling M6 Pro and a Pixel 4XL, both running UAPP and in both cases the 220Max was recognized as a USB DAC. Can anyone advice how to troubleshoot the macOS issue? All my other USB DACs work fine with my Macs. Will reset the 220Max to factory default help? Thanks!

Peter
Hi
Welcome to the small community of Max Mac users.
You are not the first with this issue.
See my old post here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...ound-reproduction-new-fw.911378/post-15939848
You need a USB hub like the one I posted.
Around my post there were other hub suggestions which are working but unfortunately not all do.
With my hub it's working fine and stable.
I can recommend Audirvana on MacOS for playing your library, respectively Quobuz or Tidal 😃

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,329 of 3,626
While I was listening to my Max connected to my desktop system through my dac I realized that the analog battery was showing a negative value ... do you think it indicates a problem?
IMG20210314193111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back