iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Oct 25, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,851 of 3,626
Hi there,

I installed Roon Android app on the 220Max and it works but Roon does not recognize the dac capacities of the 220Max. Looks like the audio stream is downgraded to low bitrates.
Does anyone use the 220max as a Roon endpoint successfully?
Thanks

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,852 of 3,626
Hi chaps,

am coming back to my original topic a few pages before cause I am kind of desperate.

I am in love with the DX220 MAX paired with my Denon AH-D9200 and LCD-2.
This was supposed to be my end-game combo.
Playing from SD or streaming apps on Android it's like I don't want to listen to anything else anymore.
So lush and resolving at the same time, no longterm-fatigue, it's kind of addictive.
I had ordered 4,4mm balanced cables extra for it and am sure my listening experience will even improve.

The real downside for me are reproducible issues in DAC-mode with ALL of my IOS and Mac OS devices and I have some (test streaming apps: Spotify and Amazon Music HD)

Part1: Real bummer pairings:
- IPAD AIR2 2015 with IOS14.1: with Original-Apple-OTG-Lightning2USB-A-adapter and IBASSO stock cable:
IBASSO DAC is not even found
- IPAD Pro (10,5 inch) 2018 with IOS 14.1 with Original-Apple-OTG-Lightning2USB-A-adapter and IBASSO stock cable:
IBASSO DAC is found but constant unbearable static noise
- Macbook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7: with Original-Apple-OTG-USB-C to USB-A adapter and IBASSO stock cable:
IBASSO DAC is found but constant unbearable static noise

Part2: Better but still bummers:
- Iphone11 Pro with IOS14.1: with Original-Apple-OTG-Lightning2USB-A-adapter and IBASSO stock cable:
IBASSO DAC is found, at first everything seems fine but you can sporadically (i.e. in average every 20 to 30 seconds) hear single static noise "scratches" (not super loud but recognisable) - same streaming app on IBASSO Android with same songs is fine and silent
- Macbook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6: IBASSO stock cable connected to built-in USB 2.0 ports:
IBASSO DAC is found, at first everything seems fine but you can sporadically (i.e. in average every 20 to 30 seconds) hear single static noise "scratches" (not super loud but recognisable) - same streaming app on IBASSO Android with same songs is fine and silent

Regarding Part2, I can imagine that a better cable could help as there could be some WIFI-pollution whatsoever injecting noise from outside.
Regarding Part1, this cannot be radio pollution anymore imho, symptoms are too gravy.

Can I kindly ask forum members who have Apple devices to report if and how you are using the DX MAX as DAC and if you have encountered any of the mentioned symptoms?
So far Vince gave me his feedback that he hasn't encountered such issues on his iPad Pro, what about the rest of you?
This would help to identify if I have a faulty unit or if there is a general issue with the USB-implementation against IOS/MAC.
I could then also forward this to my local reseller who yet got in contact with IBASSO but I haven't got any response on this yet unfortunately.
Thx in advance!
Short heads up on my DAC issue with static noise distortion on my MACBOOK PRO 2018.
This hub solved it.
https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B081YGDBG7/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_IiWLFbS9YHGMS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I can use the stock cable without distortion
Am so glad I can use the max now as intended 😃
Regarding IPAD Pro distortion I am waiting for another hifi cable arriving on Thursday.
Will report if that will work.
Thx for all who supported me giving hints on solutions here!
Am enjoying the max sound so much I was really sad before with my issues.
Now I can sleep better again

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,853 of 3,626
@Paul - iBasso
Another question regarding DAC hires modes on MacOS.
Is 24bit 2ch with 768khz planned maximum for native MAC OS choice?
Not sure if I will ever need more.
Just wondering why my old much cheaper IFI Micro Idsd is offering up to 32bit 2ch with 768khz in native MAC OS.
Or is this the same restriction in Windows in DAC mode?
I read before that people are using 3rd party apps like Neutron to do upsampling, but that won't work over DAC mode, will it?

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2,854 of 3,626
@Paul - iBasso
Another question regarding DAC hires modes on MacOS.
Is 24bit 2ch with 768khz planned maximum for native MAC OS choice?
Not sure if I will ever need more.
Just wondering why my old much cheaper IFI Micro Idsd is offering up to 32bit 2ch with 768khz in native MAC OS.
Or is this the same restriction in Windows in DAC mode?
I read before that people are using 3rd party apps like Neutron to do upsampling, but that won't work over DAC mode, will it?
I think Max is limited at 368Khz

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,856 of 3,626
I think Max is limited at 368Khz
Thx, how about 32 bit mode?
Honestly I think I won't ever need it.
Am happy with
- my lossless collection (will upsampling enhance sound quality alot?)
- Amazon HD streaming with up to 24bit (not buying there)

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,857 of 3,626
I observe that sometimes after turning off when turned on again, the device boots quickly, and sometimes very slowly ... What is the reason?

I have not yet observed that.

Did you always turn it off yourself before or did it turn itself off due to a dead battery?
In general, I am very positive about the system speed, the dx220 is slower and has waiting times.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,858 of 3,626
Thx, how about 32 bit mode?
Honestly I think I won't ever need it.
Am happy with
- my lossless collection (will upsampling enhance sound quality alot?)
- Amazon HD streaming with up to 24bit (not buying there)
I am not sure about 32 bits as I never tried. The upsampling will heavily depends on many other factors, especially the algorithms that are being used to compute the upsampling process. The one provided by Neutron is good enough. But the best one by far will have to be HQPlayerPro. You can buy the program and upsampling it to the file format you want, then store on MicroSD for the best results.

You can also buy HQplayerDesktop for live upsampling from the MacPro and using Max as external DAC.

There are other programs that can do upsampling, but as I mentioned, it would heavily be dependent upon the algorithms and the DSP being applied. The best way is to process several of the same tracks but with different programs and observe your preferences. The result may be obviously observable, or hardly be. But in doing that, you may also realize that different algorithms with specific DSP may sound better with one specific genres VS others as well.

It is another rabbit hole to travel down :wink:.

Just to keep it simple, you can use Neutron player for a good enough upsampling.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #2,861 of 3,626
The changes that I experience at max are completely new to me in this version ...

Well at the beginning ... at 100h I was a bit frustrated, flat, not stimming.
Now at 150..160 we're growing together, wouw what an animal :scream::smile:

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #2,863 of 3,626
My impression quasi review is mainly a novel type piece of writing documenting the various sonic changes I encountered as the iBasso Max went through the hourglass

please have a wee look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back