iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #121 of 6,983
If you had an issue with our system please contact us. With 3rd party apps, we have no control over.

No the issue was with the whole system, not just third party apps. Your music software was laggy also. Maybe it improved but you've only got so much time for a refund.

Also I did contact ibasso support, don't recall getting and answer, none of my high bit rate wma files were playing.

Anyways moot point now. I won't buy another product with that chip, otherwise the 160 looked nice.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #122 of 6,983
Lol probably more likely- got them really cheap.

No doubt cheaper than Snapdragon cpus. Perhaps less heat and simpler design too: afaik, unlike Qualcomms, Rockchip cpus lack built-in audio. Had an LG V10 for a couple years but was frustrated that most apps defaulted to Snapdragon audio instead of using the better ESS chip.

A faster and smoother UI is always welcome but, when both price and sound quality are priorities, imo iBasso has made good choices and performance is certainly fast enough for me. Their DAPs continue to perform at or near TOTL yet all of their current portables are under $900 while competitors are asking from well over $1K to $3K and beyond.

For those who prioritize cpu speed and UI responsiveness, I say use your favorite smartphone instead. iBasso's DC01 works perfectly and sounds very good imo. Best of both worlds for about $50. I use it with my Oneplus 7 Pro and don't regret leaving my DX150 at home.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #124 of 6,983
No doubt cheaper than Snapdragon cpus. Perhaps less heat and simpler design too: afaik, unlike Qualcomms, Rockchip cpus lack built-in audio. Had an LG V10 for a couple years but was frustrated that most apps defaulted to Snapdragon audio instead of using the better ESS chip.

A faster and smoother UI is always welcome but, when both price and sound quality are priorities, imo iBasso has made good choices and performance is certainly fast enough for me. Their DAPs continue to perform at or near TOTL yet all of their current portables are under $900 while competitors are asking from well over $1K to $3K and beyond.

For those who prioritize cpu speed and UI responsiveness, I say use your favorite smartphone instead. iBasso's DC01 works perfectly and sounds very good imo. Best of both worlds for about $50. I use it with my Oneplus 7 Pro and don't regret leaving my DX150 at home.

I feel I gained a lot more responsiveness and saved some bucks when I got fiio m11 for 450.00. And I lost little if any audio quality.

Proving you can have value, performance, and great sound. I didn't have to settle for good enough UI speed and smoothness.

I personally don't put much stock in the moniker 'flagship'. Because price doesn't always equal performance.

Anyways, not here to bash ibasso. I actually liked the look of dx160 as I'm looking for a smaller sized dap- but that rock chip cpu has put me off.

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #125 of 6,983
I use the DX220 every day, no lag or issues. And in comparison to the M11, really, but to each their own. To me, the sound quality is not near as good, as the DX220 has one of the best sounds on the market and for responsiveness, just as good as my iPhone 8 so I am fine. And on the DX220, performance far exceeds performance of the M11 and if compared to players like my WM1Z at over 3 grand and others I have listened to it is right there.

But this is the DX160 thread and I am sure the 160 will perform fine and they should be out soon.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #127 of 6,983
Performance far exceeds WM1Z. - Hard to take anything serious on here.

I will leave it at that.

Adieu.
i corrected what I wanted to say but with the AMP8 or AMP9, IMO, it does exceed the WM1Z I own.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #128 of 6,983
I feel I gained a lot more responsiveness and saved some bucks when I got fiio m11 for 450.00. And I lost little if any audio quality.

Proving you can have value, performance, and great sound. I didn't have to settle for good enough UI speed and smoothness.

I personally don't put much stock in the moniker 'flagship'. Because price doesn't always equal performance.

Anyways, not here to bash ibasso. I actually liked the look of dx160 as I'm looking for a smaller sized dap- but that rock chip cpu has put me off.

Yeah, the M11 and upcoming Pro version are enticing. Hope iBasso will make a THX amp module in the future.

Problem is, Fiio just doesn't support their gear after the first few months. Not to mention they're still on Android 7. iBasso updated to 8.1 a year ago.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #129 of 6,983
Yeah, the M11 and upcoming Pro version are enticing. Hope iBasso will make a THX amp module in the future.

Problem is, Fiio just doesn't support their gear after the first few months. Not to mention they're still on Android 7. iBasso updated to 8.1 a year ago.

I guess they could only get the lower teir Samsung soc and it supports only up to android 7 per Samsung. I've got the fiio thx module though and it's pretty impressive, pretty much the best mobile thing I've listened to. Not leaps and bounds better but very clear and with great sub bass.

Personally I think once you get into the territory where daps have good amp circuits - probably around 300- 400 dollars and up the rest is just different flavors and I don't see any one being vastly superior over another.

Hopefully ibasso will make a thx module though.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #130 of 6,983

You got some wrong impression about FiiO support, they do support their products better than most in this business.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #131 of 6,983
I guess they could only get the lower teir Samsung soc and it supports only up to android 7 per Samsung. I've got the fiio thx module though and it's pretty impressive, pretty much the best mobile thing I've listened to. Not leaps and bounds better but very clear and with great sub bass.

Personally I think once you get into the territory where daps have good amp circuits - probably around 300- 400 dollars and up the rest is just different flavors and I don't see any one being vastly superior over another.

Hopefully ibasso will make a thx module though.
Absolutely agree..after some price point the differences in sound quality are really subtle. Any DAP that sounds night and day better than M11, that is not true.

No one here is against DX160, it is looking very pretty and the only thing that bugs many here is the same old CPU.

Well come on...you can't use the same old CPU and claim no issues when competition is using better CPUs.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #132 of 6,983
I use the DX220 every day, no lag or issues. And in comparison to the M11, really, but to each their own. To me, the sound quality is not near as good, as the DX220 has one of the best sounds on the market and for responsiveness, just as good as my iPhone 8 so I am fine. And on the DX220, performance far exceeds performance of the M11 and if compared to players like my WM1Z at over 3 grand and others I have listened to it is right there.

But this is the DX160 thread and I am sure the 160 will perform fine and they should be out soon.
Sorry, iPhone 8 is leaps and bounds faster than any DAP in the market. In fact, it is still faster than many flagship mobiles right now.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #133 of 6,983
Sorry, iPhone 8 is leaps and bounds faster than any DAP in the market. In fact, it is still faster than many flagship mobiles right now.
Sorry, that is your opinion. I have the iPhone 8 and use it every day and I don't agree it is leaps and bounds faster than any dap. That is my opinion from daily use of the phone.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #135 of 6,983
That is not my opinion, that's a fact.
lol Well it is fact that I don't agree with you. I use the iphone 8 constantly every day and there are times that there is a slight lag and a moment that it takes something to come up. I don't have many apps on my phone and it has lots of memory so nothing to encumber it. But it is fact for me, that it is not as you say. Anyway, this thread is about DX160.

I want to add that there are several people here who have iPhones and they are well liked and we test against various phones and other Android devices. We want the user experience to be free of stress and strive for that.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back