iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 21, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #6,496 of 6,983
Will check it out, thanks for the info.
Keep in mind, I haven't heard it myself, though there is a pretty good sized thread here dedicated to it. I have the DX160 to compliment the DX300, though I wouldn't mind upgrading to the DX240 if/when my DX160 takes a crap... :)

May 25, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #6,497 of 6,983
More than a week ago I sold my DX160 and continued my hobby journey, so I would like to thank iBasso Audio for this DAP, it was a pleasant experience and good sound quality for its segment. Keep improving and growing, you are one of the best in this industry.

And in the name of all that is holy, give the next generation of the DX3XX a beautiful design! (Like the DX220 would be great). :wink:

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #6,498 of 6,983
Firmware V1.08.338 Jun 1st, 2022 Download

https://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/DX160FW-otg-1.08.zip

Instructions For Firmware update:

1. Copy and paste the DX160-ota-full-1.08.338.zip to your SD card's root folder, or the DX160's internal memory.
2. Go to Android OS, press Settings-->System-->Updater-->local update, and tap the zip file.
3. The whole update will take about 10 minutes. Reboot the DX160 after update completed. You can also choose to do a factory reset at this time to clear any artifacts from the previous firmware.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #6,499 of 6,983
1654068993885.png

Jun 1, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #6,500 of 6,983
That's a house number, a 56 MB smaller firmware. The code optimization seems to have paid off. I'm curious to see how this affects the behavior of the DX160.
Since I use AIMP for Android as a music player and no payment services, I have not noticed the shortcomings listed since the last update. I will install the update anyway, as I hope that new security updates for Android will also be available on the device.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #6,502 of 6,983
Hi, I like how dx160 sounds with Olina, and also it sounds good with Samson 850, now want to buy Philips fidelio x2hr. Is this player enough for fullsize headphones? Samson 850 are good, but bright to me. Or for fullsize headphones desktop dac/amp is better? Yeah, it depends on headphones, but I wonder, is desktop DAC has better sound?

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #6,503 of 6,983
With new firmware, the security updates are still outdated from October 2018. :sleepy:
What security updates do you need? I have never had an issue with a dap.

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #6,504 of 6,983
I haven't encountered any problems, but when accessing the internet from the DX160 over my network, I want to minimize the risk of unauthorized intrusion. And such updates have already been released in the meantime. Anything else is just sticking your head in the sand.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #6,505 of 6,983
After the update mango player media scan is not working and crashing the app. It seems there could be a rouge file in my folder structure that the app doesn't like. Any one else face media scanning issues?

Jun 2, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #6,507 of 6,983
Hi, I like how dx160 sounds with Olina, and also it sounds good with Samson 850, now want to buy Philips fidelio x2hr. Is this player enough for fullsize headphones? Samson 850 are good, but bright to me. Or for fullsize headphones desktop dac/amp is better? Yeah, it depends on headphones, but I wonder, is desktop DAC has better sound?
The DX160 drives full sized headphones just fine, and sound fantastic too (to my ears). You would really only have to worry if you were trying to drive some really high Ohm head gear. I have not tested it with 300 Ohms but have a set that is 150Ohms and it drives them just fine. The DAC in this was implemented very well, and (IMO) would rate the sound quality at higher than the price would indicate.

As far as whether a desktop solution would sound better is purely subjective. I would offer that it would simply sound different. Whether it is better to your ears is something only you can determine. As for me, I find that it is not too far away from my flagship DX300, and I use it when I want something a bit more pocketable than my DX300.
After the update mango player media scan is not working and crashing the app. It seems there could be a rouge file in my folder structure that the app doesn't like. Any one else face media scanning issues?
I have not updated yet, as I wasn't even aware they had updated it again until I read these comments about it today... I might hold off until we hear from iBasso about a fix.
Add-on v.1.30 is compatible with the firmware version 1.08.338.
As usual, thanks for your hard work, and your diligence in keeping up with FW updates... :) I haven't used my DX160 without your add-on since I first bought mine (2019).

Jun 2, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #6,508 of 6,983
The DX160 drives full sized headphones just fine, and sound fantastic too (to my ears). You would really only have to worry if you were trying to drive some really high Ohm head gear. I have not tested it with 300 Ohms but have a set that is 150Ohms and it drives them just fine. The DAC in this was implemented very well, and (IMO) would rate the sound quality at higher than the price would indicate.

As far as whether a desktop solution would sound better is purely subjective. I would offer that it would simply sound different. Whether it is better to your ears is something only you can determine. As for me, I find that it is not too far away from my flagship DX300, and I use it when I want something a bit more pocketable than my DX300.

I have not updated yet, as I wasn't even aware they had updated it again until I read these comments about it today... I might hold off until we hear from iBasso about a fix.

As usual, thanks for your hard work, and your diligence in keeping up with FW updates... :) I haven't used my DX160 without your add-on since I first bought mine (2019).
did you notice a sound improvement after you updated to the latest firmware?

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #6,510 of 6,983
No issues with media scan with my SanDisk Ultra card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back