iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jun 2, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #6,511 of 6,983
After the update mango player media scan is not working and crashing the app. It seems there could be a rouge file in my folder structure that the app doesn't like. Any one else face media scanning issues?
I would do a factory reset and also try a different card.

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #6,512 of 6,983
Just update the new firmware and the Lurker's addon (thanks again for the hard work of Lurker). Can't tell if the SQ is better, I would say it's too much to ask for firmware update. In the meantime, no problem of media scan.

I just happen to try the Hiby music for the first time and I have to say the initial impression is very good, even better than the Mongo. I probably will start to use Hiby only, and sorry for ibasso, I love my DX160, but it piques my interest in buying a Hiby DAP next time.

Jun 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #6,513 of 6,983
Just update the new firmware and the Lurker's addon (thanks again for the hard work of Lurker). Can't tell if the SQ is better, I would say it's too much to ask for firmware update. In the meantime, no problem of media scan.

I just happen to try the Hiby music for the first time and I have to say the initial impression is very good, even better than the Mongo. I probably will start to use Hiby only, and sorry for ibasso, I love my DX160, but it piques my interest in buying a Hiby DAP next time.
If you liked Hiby Player that much better than Mango player, you should also try Neutron Music Player?! With its 64-bit processing, crosstalk adjustment, bit-perfect playback, dither + sound shaping, upsampling (to 512), PCM to DSD (up to 512), native DSD playback (rather than converting to PCM), built in Auto-EQ (called Frequency Response Correction in the app), PEQ (up to 60 band), EQ (or a mixture of both), Auto Gain protection, Replay Gain, Compressor, Surround Sound/Stereo Effect, fade-out, speed modulation (tempo change), ability to change order of chain effects, etc... It is known for being the industry leader in DSP. I love the Hiby Music Player, and also UAPP too, but Neutron has been my local file go-to for some time; though it can also play from NAS, SMB, FTP.

To my ears it just sounds better than all of the other big boys. But they all have their advantages over the others that set them apart. Hiby's is that it can be remotely controlled from another device. UAPP's is that it can interface with Tidal, and Qobuz, and unfold MQA. All of these are bit-perfect though so there is that...

If you ever use BT, and especially if it has the LDHC codec, you might consider trying the Fiio Music app also. AFAIK it is the only one that has that codec built into it, (besides the crappy but usable Hifiman Music app). Also it is bit-perfect too!

Anyhow, I thought I would put my $.02 out there. If you are happy with the Hiby app, congratz to you.... and your ears! :)

This may also not apply to you, but Hiby support is pretty lacking compared to iBasso's IMHO. If you never have issues, it might not matter to you though. They both make great devices.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #6,514 of 6,983

Really love Ibasso too and my DX160 but I've just bought the Hiby New R6. Really happy with quality of this new dap

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #6,515 of 6,983
If you liked Hiby Player that much better than Mango player, you should also try Neutron Music Player?! With its 64-bit processing, crosstalk adjustment, bit-perfect playback, dither + sound shaping, upsampling (to 526), PCM to DSD (up to 526), native DSD playback (rather than converting to PCM), built in Auto-EQ (called Frequency Response Correction in the app), PEQ (up to 60 band), EQ (or a mixture of both), Auto Gain protection, Replay Gain, Compressor, Surround Sound/Stereo Effect, fade-out, speed modulation (tempo change), ability to change order of chain effects, etc... It is known for being the industry leader in DSP. I love the Hiby Music Player, and also UAPP too, but Neutron has been my local file go-to for some time; though it can also play from NAS, SMB, FTP.

To my ears it just sounds better than all of the other big boys. But they all have their advantages over the others that set them apart. Hiby's is that it can be remotely controlled from another device. UAPP's is that it can interface with Tidal, and Qobuz, and unfold MQA. All of these are bit-perfect though so there is that...

If you ever use BT, and especially if it has the LDHC codec, you might consider trying the Fiio Music app also. AFAIK it is the only one that has that codec built into it, (besides the crappy but usable Hifiman Music app). Also it is bit-perfect too!

Anyhow, I thought I would put my $.02 out there. If you are happy with the Hiby app, congratz to you.... and your ears! :)

This may also not apply to you, but Hiby support is pretty lacking compared to iBasso's IMHO. If you never have issues, it might not matter to you though. They both make great devices.
Will try the Neutron later, thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 2, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #6,516 of 6,983
The DX160 drives full sized headphones just fine, and sound fantastic too (to my ears). You would really only have to worry if you were trying to drive some really high Ohm head gear. I have not tested it with 300 Ohms but have a set that is 150Ohms and it drives them just fine. The DAC in this was implemented very well, and (IMO) would rate the sound quality at higher than the price would indicate.

As far as whether a desktop solution would sound better is purely subjective. I would offer that it would simply sound different. Whether it is better to your ears is something only you can determine. As for me, I find that it is not too far away from my flagship DX300, and I use it when I want something a bit more pocketable than my DX300.

I have not updated yet, as I wasn't even aware they had updated it again until I read these comments about it today... I might hold off until we hear from iBasso about a fix.

As usual, thanks for your hard work, and your diligence in keeping up with FW updates... :) I haven't used my DX160 without your add-on since I first bought mine (2019).
Thank you for your reply 👍

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #6,517 of 6,983
Jun 3, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #6,519 of 6,983
Jun 3, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #6,520 of 6,983
If you liked Hiby Player that much better than Mango player, you should also try Neutron Music Player?! With its 64-bit processing, crosstalk adjustment, bit-perfect playback, dither + sound shaping, upsampling (to 526), PCM to DSD (up to 526), native DSD playback (rather than converting to PCM), built in Auto-EQ (called Frequency Response Correction in the app), PEQ (up to 60 band), EQ (or a mixture of both), Auto Gain protection, Replay Gain, Compressor, Surround Sound/Stereo Effect, fade-out, speed modulation (tempo change), ability to change order of chain effects, etc... It is known for being the industry leader in DSP. I love the Hiby Music Player, and also UAPP too, but Neutron has been my local file go-to for some time; though it can also play from NAS, SMB, FTP.
I agree, Neutron is a great app and allows the DX160 to have "bit perfect" playback among the other sound benefits listed above by @samandhi . You just have to get past the somewhat utilitarian UI that has been in serious need of an update to look like it was developed in this century. With a good pair of wired headphones plugged into the DX160, Neutron is probably the best sounding of the apps I have installed. It is my go-to as well when I'm using the DX160 as the source for my audio setup at home.

I have also used Poweramp for years, it has a really great interface IMO, but the one key playback feature it is missing is the ability to follow the source file frequency. This is something that Neutron can do very well, but the Poweramp developer has indicated that it isn't a priority to be addressed, if it will be at all. So you are stuck choosing a sample rate (up to 192kHz on our beloved DX160), and all of your songs will be then be up or down sampled to that. This has to be harder on the battery of your DX160 I would imagine. It still sounds good, even compared to Neutron, but the added resampling means I don't use it when I'm really listening.

I do have to call out one other player app that I really love that generally hasn't been mentioned here - GoneMAD (GMMP). Admittedly the audio engine is still waiting for an overhaul to be able to handle audiophile quality playback, so anything over 48kHz gets down sampled to either 44.1kHz or 48kHz, depending on whichever multiple applies. The development roadmap does show hi-res support is planned, and the developer actively updates this and publicly has access to the plan on Trello. However if the majority of your library is ripped from CD or your downloads are 48kHz or less, this is irrelevant. The UI is beyond fantastic, especially on the big display of the DX160. You can customize the metadata display on any part of the interface (Now Playing as well as any tab or page in the Browser). The library management is unbeatable including the ability to properly handle multiple Artist, AlbumArtist, Composer, and Genre tags. A huge upgrade last year was adding the "Sort" tags that compliment the standard Artist/AlbumArtist/Album and Composer into the database scanner, and this works flawlessly - it may be the only app on Android that does this currently. Plus it has a "Smart" playlist feature to build on the fly. So if you have a well-curated library with properly tagged music, this is the app that I think will be the one to beat, especially once the engine gets the planned revamp. When I am just casually listening, GoneMAD has become my preferred app, as it is the easiest to use for browsing and finding what I want.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #6,521 of 6,983
did you notice any sound improvements after the firmware update?
Nothing notably better IMO. But it does seem to be a bit faster again. The last update seemed to be a bit more laggy than with the earlier firmware versions. I did also have Lurker's mods previously, but haven't yet added this back since it was updated for 1.08.

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #6,523 of 6,983
I agree, Neutron is a great app and allows the DX160 to have "bit perfect" playback among the other sound benefits listed above by @samandhi . You just have to get past the somewhat utilitarian UI that has been in serious need of an update to look like it was developed in this century. With a good pair of wired headphones plugged into the DX160, Neutron is probably the best sounding of the apps I have installed. It is my go-to as well when I'm using the DX160 as the source for my audio setup at home.

I have also used Poweramp for years, it has a really great interface IMO, but the one key playback feature it is missing is the ability to follow the source file frequency. This is something that Neutron can do very well, but the Poweramp developer has indicated that it isn't a priority to be addressed, if it will be at all. So you are stuck choosing a sample rate (up to 192kHz on our beloved DX160), and all of your songs will be then be up or down sampled to that. This has to be harder on the battery of your DX160 I would imagine. It still sounds good, even compared to Neutron, but the added resampling means I don't use it when I'm really listening.

I do have to call out one other player app that I really love that generally hasn't been mentioned here - GoneMAD (GMMP). Admittedly the audio engine is still waiting for an overhaul to be able to handle audiophile quality playback, so anything over 48kHz gets down sampled to either 44.1kHz or 48kHz, depending on whichever multiple applies. The development roadmap does show hi-res support is planned, and the developer actively updates this and publicly has access to the plan on Trello. However if the majority of your library is ripped from CD or your downloads are 48kHz or less, this is irrelevant. The UI is beyond fantastic, especially on the big display of the DX160. You can customize the metadata display on any part of the interface (Now Playing as well as any tab or page in the Browser). The library management is unbeatable including the ability to properly handle multiple Artist, AlbumArtist, Composer, and Genre tags. A huge upgrade last year was adding the "Sort" tags that compliment the standard Artist/AlbumArtist/Album and Composer into the database scanner, and this works flawlessly - it may be the only app on Android that does this currently. Plus it has a "Smart" playlist feature to build on the fly. So if you have a well-curated library with properly tagged music, this is the app that I think will be the one to beat, especially once the engine gets the planned revamp. When I am just casually listening, GoneMAD has become my preferred app, as it is the easiest to use for browsing and finding what I want.
Thanks, will try them later, but I just purchased the Neutron.

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #6,524 of 6,983
I have to report back that with the new firmware (I also have the new Lurker's addon installed), scanning media will crash the Mongo player. Last time I just started the scan and concluded that there was no problem before it finished. Since multiple reports in this thread, I decide to give it another try, and twice the scan crashed the player in the middle. More concerning is that the Google Playstore crashed once, though I was able to reopen and install the Neutron. Therefore, I am not sure if the play store crash issue is unavoidable.

It seems that this version is not stable and need more work before it is fully usable, especially for Mongo user.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #6,525 of 6,983
I have to report back that with the new firmware (I also have the new Lurker's addon installed), scanning media will crash the Mongo player. Last time I just started the scan and concluded that there was no problem before it finished. Since multiple reports in this thread, I decide to give it another try, and twice the scan crashed the player in the middle. More concerning is that the Google Playstore crashed once, though I was able to reopen and install the Neutron. Therefore, I am not sure if the play store crash issue is unavoidable.

It seems that this version is not stable and need more work before it is fully usable, especially for Mongo user.
I don't use Mango player normally. But with the issues reported here I tried it for testing. It crashed before I even started scanning, just changing some settings in the options menu. After a restart I was able to begin the scan process, but it crashed again while still showing 0% on the progress wheel. I have yet to install the lurker mod as I suspect another firmware update will be posted to fix this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back