iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #5,596 of 6,983
I have found that adaptors like that don't work for me either. I experimented to find the right working cable setup and have come to the conclusion that cables like what you listed won't don't work for me.

I have (still) the Fiio X5 (first gen) and the X3 II, and they both come with coax adaptor cables. Looking at the tips, they are obviously different pinouts. The cable for the X5 doesn't work for the X3 II and vise versa'. Have a look at this page to find the differences I am referring to.

The funny thing is that the second adaptor is what works for the DX160, but is contrary to what Fiio describes on that page:

So, in summary, the second picture on that page is what works for me with the DX160 (the mono end). Then, you should just be able to buy a male/male coax cable.

Edit: It looks like you said that the X5 adaptor doesn't work? Is that the first gen X5 (the one with the mono end)? Also, keep in mind that you need to use an actual coax cable. You can't use a plain RCA cable (though they look the same). If you are using a plain RCA cable that might be your problem?! Also, maybe a silly question so please don't take offense, but you ARE switching it to SPDIF out on the DX right?
Thanks for the feedback Samandhi. I have the first type (for the X5II). Cable works fine with my Fiio and I've switched the iBasso to SPDIF. Simply a matter of cables not being compatible I guess. I have the official Fiio cable on one amp and a regular coax with adapter on the other. Hard to find what I'm looking for on amazon though.

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #5,597 of 6,983
Thanks for the feedback Samandhi. I have the first type (for the X5II). Cable works fine with my Fiio and I've switched the iBasso to SPDIF. Simply a matter of cables not being compatible I guess. I have the official Fiio cable on one amp and a regular coax with adapter on the other. Hard to find what I'm looking for on amazon though.
Something like this should work for you, unless you want the official adaptor from Fiio you might have to call them. I found it on Aliexpress, but shows discontinued.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #5,599 of 6,983
I am looking at the DX160 and as an android device does it have the same limitations as an android phone? i.e. I purchased USB Audio player pro to be able to properly use an external DAC on my S21 Ultra, is this is an issue on the iBasso or no problem as the DAC is internal? Hopefully that makes sense?? USB Audio player pro gets around this issue anyway but the usefulness of say the Tidal app is impacted.

I have a Sony A55 and looking at an upgrade but I find myself questioning the value or an android based DAP vs. just getting a decent DAC to use with my phone.

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #5,601 of 6,983
That one will not work because the 3.5mm jack is pinned-out as stereo (2 or more rings). It needs to be mono (1 ring) in order to function properly.

I am looking at the DX160 and as an android device does it have the same limitations as an android phone? i.e. I purchased USB Audio player pro to be able to properly use an external DAC on my S21 Ultra, is this is an issue on the iBasso or no problem as the DAC is internal? Hopefully that makes sense?? USB Audio player pro gets around this issue anyway but the usefulness of say the Tidal app is impacted.

I have a Sony A55 and looking at an upgrade but I find myself questioning the value or an android based DAP vs. just getting a decent DAC to use with my phone.
You can use the external DAC if you wish to, but there is no need as the DAC is internal to the DX160. As a matter of fact, you can use the DX160 as an external DAC if you so chose. Just curious as to what limitations you are trying to bypass, and to what usefulness Tidal lacks in android?

Android didn't used to be able to play audio through USB connection, or when it first was able to it was crappy and spotty (at best), and USB Audio Player Pro fixed this by including its own driver for USB audio to bypass the android limitations on this (or better put, the lack of proper driver). On the S21 Ultra you should have no issues playing audio via USB as far as the actual driver is concerned, but (and this brings another issue) with the "great" idea of removing the headphone jack, the internal DAC is no longer included in the device like it used to be. This is why you need to have an external DAC to listen to music through anything that is not connected via Bluetooth.

The DX160 has all of these bases covered. You can connect to speakers/headphones/IEMs/TWS in many different ways. As mentioned earlier, you can even use the DX as an external DAC for your phone if you really wanted to.

Does anyone knows how to enter line out mode when in Mango OS?
There is no way to do this (from what I have found). Mango OS is NOT native (nor written for) the DX160. It was written for the DX220, and ported to the DX by Lurker with his mod. The reason it does not have this is because the DX220 doesn't need it to switch using the same port. It uses 2 separate hardware ports for headphone out, and line out. The headphone port does double as phones, and SPDIF though, so there is THAT setting to change in Mango OS.

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #5,602 of 6,983
There is no way to do this (from what I have found). Mango OS is NOT native (nor written for) the DX160. It was written for the DX220, and ported to the DX by Lurker with his mod. The reason it does not have this is because the DX220 doesn't need it to switch using the same port. It uses 2 separate hardware ports for headphone out, and line out. The headphone port does double as phones, and SPDIF though, so there is THAT setting to change in Mango OS.

Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated. So maybe i will need the DX300. 😂😂😂

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #5,603 of 6,983
Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated. So maybe i will need the DX300. 😂😂😂
Possibly, though I (personally) don't find the Mango OS any better or worse than the Mango app in android mode. As a matter of fact, I find the battery life to be less than I would like it to be. And, being as they are both bit perfect (with DSP off) I would argue they sound the same.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #5,604 of 6,983
Possibly, though I (personally) don't find the Mango OS any better or worse than the Mango app in android mode. As a matter of fact, I find the battery life to be less than I would like it to be. And, being as they are both bit perfect (with DSP off) I would argue they sound the same.
It might be placebo effect but in this case, i hear better clarity and it felt more airy when played on my HD650. Flac files definitely sound better even at 16bit 44

So unless i am using Tidal, when listening to local files i prefer Mango OS even though i need to restart.

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #5,606 of 6,983
It might be placebo effect but in this case, i hear better clarity and it felt more airy when played on my HD650. Flac files definitely sound better even at 16bit 44

So unless i am using Tidal, when listening to local files i prefer Mango OS even though i need to restart.

Mango OS mode definitely sounds better. No placebo effect here
Then we are deceived insomuch as one of them must be using DSP. Because, if they are both bit-perfect, then the software apps are simply a transport pushing directly to the hardware. For myself, I suppose I am simply too old (my hearing ain't what it used to be) to hear any sort of difference in the two. Sorry Mango OS didn't work out for you.

I don't really use Mango OS or mango player much anyhow. I split time mainly between UAPP and Neutron player. I would LOVE to get my hands on the DX300, but I just can't justify it at this time. I really love my DX360 and will probably not switch out until it dies on me. But, man! That thing looks like a beast (both on paper and IRL).

Apr 12, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #5,607 of 6,983
Then we are deceived insomuch as one of them must be using DSP. Because, if they are both bit-perfect, then the software apps are simply a transport pushing directly to the hardware. For myself, I suppose I am simply too old (my hearing ain't what it used to be) to hear any sort of difference in the two. Sorry Mango OS didn't work out for you.

I don't really use Mango OS or mango player much anyhow. I split time mainly between UAPP and Neutron player. I would LOVE to get my hands on the DX300, but I just can't justify it at this time. I really love my DX360 and will probably not switch out until it dies on me. But, man! That thing looks like a beast (both on paper and IRL).
Its not really about old ears or anything like that, you just need to be listening for the right thing. Personally I found Mango OS to have a more holographic sound that improves percieved soundstage, airiness and instrument separation.

Some people do speculate that mango OS uses some sort of DSP but theres no way to say for sure.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #5,609 of 6,983
I´m having problems with Lurker FW (and probably USB Audio player). When installed Tidal (2.37) refuses to play master tracks. When using UAPP the usb dac setting stops and starts multiple times without me doing anything. Tried resetting everything and installing everything fresh but the problem returns.

And a newbie question, in UAPP i get direct out at 96 kHz but the mqa indicates a higher quality (192 khz). Is that a limitation in UAPP (Running Tidal inside UAPP)?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #5,610 of 6,983
Hi,

I was using a 4.4mm cable with my Sennheiser HD600, and yesterday, all of a sudden the volume strength seem to have reduced considerably.
I've tried to reset the device, but nothing changed.

I tried the headphones with a 3.5mm cable in another devices and it seems to be working well (the 3.5mm input on the Ibasso is faulty, so I can't try it)
Unfortunately, I can't test the same cable as I don't have any other device with a 4.4mm input to test if it could be a cable issue or a device's problem.

Did anyone ever had a similar issue?
Do you think it's probably a problem with the device or rather the cable?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back