iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Mar 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #5,509 of 6,991
I’m trying to install the Lurker FW, my pc recognizes the DX but the Android tool and apps do not. Any suggestions?
Try to reinstall the package one more time

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #5,511 of 6,991
Hi all! Could I please get some advice on what IEM to pair with DX160 and also might be able to explain what I'm noticing with the sound signature?

I currently own Noble K10's, Meze 99 Classics, and Moondrop Starfield which I'd been listening off my LG G7 but it recently died (and we can't get LG phones in NZ anymore) so I bought a iBasso DX160 after seeing all the fantastic reviews.

Whilst the DX160 paired with my Noble K10's does sound great with some songs (acoustic, folk, indie, pop, some rock) I think I've noticed it sounds kind of bloated and full sometimes and can become 'wall of sound' on busier tracks (metal, some orchestral etc) which is putting me off. I've tried eqing a bit and using different filters (think I prefer fast or NOS) but it's confusing me what I'm finding 'wrong' with it. Like sometimes I think there's too much bass, other times too much mids, sometimes not enough highs - although I feel like there's a vocal forwardness high mids or low highs which pushes other things way back and can almost seem strident at times. That's weird to say coming from me because I normally love that frequency area being forward but everything else sounds muted in comparison sometimes. Just feels like there's 'something' off with the tuning. I listen to music quite loudly FYI and I wonder if that has to do with it, it sounds better at lower volumes. I mostly listen on Tidal btw.

I got my partner who's a guitarist (but not audiophile) to listen to some tracks (he used Plini fyi) he thought signature was off, that the lead guitar was too forward in the mix whilst the rhythm guitar was barely noticeable. When paired with my Meze 99 Classics it became a mid-bass volcano and was waaay too overwhelming. I know 99 Classics have bit of a boosted mid-bass but I normally find it fine. I wondered if this is coming from a Sabre DAC (on LG phones) which sounds thinner, clearer, and sparklier to me.

BUT then I tried my Moondrop Starfield's with it and it tonality sounds better but technicalities worse (because cheap IEM doesn't let DX160 shine) e.g. not enough detail, clarity, separation etc. It does sound slightly bassier (but less full which is good) than K10's (but less punchy) but more organic and natural pairing - I want more highs though. The frequencies that felt kind of sucked out or over emphasized with other headphones sounds better on Starfield. I tend to look for mid-focused and forward gear so I wonder if I doubled down on that with IEM and DAP so need different pairing? Like DX160 is wet so I need dry IEM's?

I wonder if I need to find the right synergy and pairing with DX160 and I'm on market for new IEM's anyway so would like your advice? I guess I'm looking for something with Starfield's tonality but much better? I've read lots of IEM reviews and my top ones are Thieaudio Clairvoyance or Monarch, Starfield S8, Starfield Blessing 2 or Dusk, Fearless S8 Freedom, or Dunu SA6, Hidition Viento-B or? I listen to a wide range of genres but particularly enjoy string instruments and vocals (so mids are a focus for me), instrument separation and layering, clarity, texture, good PRAT, fast punchy bass, musicality, emotionality etc.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #5,512 of 6,991
Andromeda 2020 with iematch is my TOTL setup on my DX160. IMO the DAC section of the DX160 is very good and if you have a good external portable amp it can be even better in driving iems than the DX160 itself. My ER2XR via the Pico Slim on LO is really a superb and a much better combination vs driving it directly via the DX160.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #5,513 of 6,991
Hi all! Could I please get some advice on what IEM to pair with DX160 and also might be able to explain what I'm noticing with the sound signature?

I currently own Noble K10's, Meze 99 Classics, and Moondrop Starfield which I'd been listening off my LG G7 but it recently died (and we can't get LG phones in NZ anymore) so I bought a iBasso DX160 after seeing all the fantastic reviews.

Whilst the DX160 paired with my Noble K10's does sound great with some songs (acoustic, folk, indie, pop, some rock) I think I've noticed it sounds kind of bloated and full sometimes and can become 'wall of sound' on busier tracks (metal, some orchestral etc) which is putting me off. I've tried eqing a bit and using different filters (think I prefer fast or NOS) but it's confusing me what I'm finding 'wrong' with it. Like sometimes I think there's too much bass, other times too much mids, sometimes not enough highs - although I feel like there's a vocal forwardness high mids or low highs which pushes other things way back and can almost seem strident at times. That's weird to say coming from me because I normally love that frequency area being forward but everything else sounds muted in comparison sometimes. Just feels like there's 'something' off with the tuning. I listen to music quite loudly FYI and I wonder if that has to do with it, it sounds better at lower volumes. I mostly listen on Tidal btw.

I got my partner who's a guitarist (but not audiophile) to listen to some tracks (he used Plini fyi) he thought signature was off, that the lead guitar was too forward in the mix whilst the rhythm guitar was barely noticeable. When paired with my Meze 99 Classics it became a mid-bass volcano and was waaay too overwhelming. I know 99 Classics have bit of a boosted mid-bass but I normally find it fine. I wondered if this is coming from a Sabre DAC (on LG phones) which sounds thinner, clearer, and sparklier to me.

BUT then I tried my Moondrop Starfield's with it and it tonality sounds better but technicalities worse (because cheap IEM doesn't let DX160 shine) e.g. not enough detail, clarity, separation etc. It does sound slightly bassier (but less full which is good) than K10's (but less punchy) but more organic and natural pairing - I want more highs though. The frequencies that felt kind of sucked out or over emphasized with other headphones sounds better on Starfield. I tend to look for mid-focused and forward gear so I wonder if I doubled down on that with IEM and DAP so need different pairing? Like DX160 is wet so I need dry IEM's?

I wonder if I need to find the right synergy and pairing with DX160 and I'm on market for new IEM's anyway so would like your advice? I guess I'm looking for something with Starfield's tonality but much better? I've read lots of IEM reviews and my top ones are Thieaudio Clairvoyance or Monarch, Starfield S8, Starfield Blessing 2 or Dusk, Fearless S8 Freedom, or Dunu SA6, Hidition Viento-B or? I listen to a wide range of genres but particularly enjoy string instruments and vocals (so mids are a focus for me), instrument separation and layering, clarity, texture, good PRAT, fast punchy bass, musicality, emotionality etc.
I considerd getting the Blessing 2 Dusk but stopped short since I already have a modded FDX1 that comes very close in detail but has better bass.

The IER-M9 with an 8 core silver cable also sounds superb with the DX160.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #5,514 of 6,991

"so mids are a focus for me),
instrument separation and layering, clarity, texture,"
Based on your preference.....
I would totally recommend: Mangird Tea

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #5,515 of 6,991
"so mids are a focus for me),
instrument separation and layering, clarity, texture,"
Based on your preference.....
I would totally recommend: Mangird Tea
Curious how that sounds cuz it seems like the mangird Tea is blessing 2 dusk with tighter bass, slightly thicker lower midrange but with less extended highs. The dip between 4-6k is pretty concerning though.

graph.png

Found a comparison of the Tea vs Blessing 2
Got the Mangrid Tea, borrowed them from my friend. They performed pretty closely to the Moondrop Blessing 2 but had slightly inferior technicalities.

Bass: The Tea has more subbass quantity and better texture than B2 but a tad slower in speed, longer decay and little bleed to the mids. The bass on B2 also has a tad more body than in Mangird.
Mids: Vocal on Mangird is more forward/in your face contrasting the B2 that are more laid back. Mangird vocal also feel slightly veiled due to the bass bleed, and since it's more forward, female vocal can sound harsher and shouty.
Treble: Mangird have more and better extended treble than the B2, which make them feels pretty airer. Cymbals & hats also feels a bit clearer and crispier but maybe a bit harsh for my taste.

Soundstage & Staging: Have above average height but average in width and depth. Plus with the more foward vocal, the soundstage feels more intimate than B2. B2 feels more open and out of head.
Resolution & Seperation: Resolution is still better on B2 since it has no bass bleed and better depth on the imaging. On Mangird, some instruments does get a little mixed up sometimes.

But overall they are really a very competent iem for the price and can be a cheaper with slightly inferior technicalities alternative for the Blessing 2.

20200614_115102.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #5,516 of 6,991

have a look at the etymotic er4xr or er4sr , good deal can be found on adorama.com

Check oh the Etymotic er4xr or er4se, tremendous amount of detail. Especially if you do not like over ear EIM’s like me.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...4-this-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/page-1106

good deals can be found on adorama.com
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?sdtid=14689085&emailprice=t
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.html?sdtid=14689085&emailprice=t

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #5,517 of 6,991
I'm curious if anyone has tried using the new Amazon Music HD service with their DX160. I'd like to know if you can play their ultra HD tracks (24 bit 196khz) without any problems and most importantly, are you able to download the tracks for offline play? There is also the question of whether you can store the high resolution tracks on a micro SD card for offline play, or whether the Amazon Music Application forces you to use the internal device storage for this.

I'm currently using Amazon Music HD with my office setup and I think its going to be (if not already) the best high resolution streaming service on the market. I have retired my Tidal subscription and couldn't be happier. Taking the Amazon service mobile with my DAP is a very big deal for me, so I'm looking for concrete answers before I buy a DX160, Fiio M11, Shanling M6 or a Hiby R5 or R6 Pro. I'm leaning heavily towards the DX160, but I need confirmation on the Amazon Music HD play before I pull the trigger.

In the meantime, is there an answer to the question of whether the Amazon Music HD app also works in offline mode on the DX160? So if the tracks are on the memory card?

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #5,518 of 6,991
In the meantime, is there an answer to the question of whether the Amazon Music HD app also works in offline mode on the DX160? So if the tracks are on the memory card?
Yes, you can indeed listen to tracks you download while offline. It does download them, but (unless it is is settings) you can't choose where to put them. Though, don't expect to listen to just anything. You will need to purposely choose to download songs if you want them available offline. You can also have it scan your local library if you choose to use Amazon Music app as your "all-in-one" app. It works just the same as it would on your android phone (if that is what you use).

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #5,519 of 6,991
Yes, you can indeed listen to tracks you download while offline. It does download them, but (unless it is is settings) you can't choose where to put them. Though, don't expect to listen to just anything. You will need to purposely choose to download songs if you want them available offline. You can also have it scan your local library if you choose to use Amazon Music app as your "all-in-one" app. It works just the same as it would on your android phone (if that is what you use).
You can choose internal or external sd for location. Can be slow to download but once done can go to airplane mode and play no problem

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #5,520 of 6,991
A brief update regarding those facing Battery life issues on DX160...
Letting DX160's battery to drain down to 0% for the 2nd time since I got it.. seems that solved any problems I ve been dealing with for some time and for unspecified reason.. (to me at least...)
Now on continuous listening for 30 minutes to flacs using 4.4 trrs out and a multi BA iem, battery went down just by 4% percent.
Feeling 😊 right now.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back